AFL Player #13: Nik Cox 🦄 - Skipper called him 'the Unicorn' in an interview (confirmed!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Already plays like one normally would entering their prime, so his ceiling is god knows what. Skills and vision are amazing, and endurance is what we've been crying out for. He'll be better than Lachie Whitfield. I still can't believe he went at pick 6. Seems like a top 4 pick would have been more accurate. And he's a Bomber.

Already plays like one normally would entering their prime, so his ceiling is god knows what. Skills and vision are amazing, and endurance is what we've been crying out for. He'll be better than Lachie Whitfield. I still can't believe he went at pick 6. Seems like a top 4 pick would have been more accurate. And he's a Bomber.

I’m not even sure if there is a player taken in front of him I’d swap Nik Cox with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just have to see how Hollands holds up after his injury, Phillips looks ok nothing flash, DGB is not needed we have Ridley/Reid, McDonald maybe? but Jones/Eyre could do a good job. JUH over hyped already

Honestly there's no real way of telling this early on in their careers, especially when half of them haven't played
Yeah, think we forget there was a time when Parish was clearly better than Oliver as well. Lasted about 6 months.

Cox seems like a player that would have gone higher if not for COVID keeping him from playing last year.
He'll make a few of the selections above him look silly (too early to tell which ones though).

The raw attributes always sounded good on paper. Tall, agile, huge tank, proficient skills on both sides but its seeing the reality of it at AFL level that would have a few recruiters scratching their heads.

The Vic players drafted were always going to be a bit hit and miss last year with no footy being played.

I think there's going to be a few high picks that look pretty ordinary in a few years time, and a few later ones that look awesome (not to mention a few that missed out on the draft entirely who are picked up midseason or end of year this year who turn out to be jets)

Yeah, think we forget there was a time when Parish was clearly better than Oliver as well. Lasted about 6 months.

I feel differently about this one.
Parish had a better year than Oliver in his first year but it was obvious to everyone that Parish was more developed at that time. Oliver had come home like a rocket in the second half of his junior year to get taken so early in the draft. He's also a bigger guy and like many I subscribe to the idea that bigger guys generally take a bit more time to get going.
Oliver also showed very impressive signs in his first year (showed strong contested ball winning even early doors) and it was mainly tank that was holding him back - so wasn't too surprised he passed Parish (and everyone else) and never looked back.

There's no real comparison between Parish who was relatively developed 181 cm mid and Cox a 200cm beanpole both making impacts in their first year. 200cm players barely ever make an impact in their first year, its remarkable. Normally a lack of strength would prevent guys that size from competing in key position roles and playing on the wing would be out of the question due to agility/endurance.

The kid hasnt played yet...
Haven't you seen the press regarding him, i feel for the kid next buddy, next generational forward

He hasn't played a game and they are talking him up like he Buddy mixed with Farmer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thursday was the first time I saw him play. Just seemed to have a lot of time and more poise than 95% of the team. Will be able to do everything like Hird in that he will be able to play tall/short, midfield/forward/defense. Will be a fascinating draft to follow in years to come as others have mentioned with lack of exposure and what seems a high talent pool.

Judge young players after 4 years. Going off 1st years Lewis Taylor and rhys Palmer were meant to be thr next big thing.
Rhys Palmers biggest impact at afl level was destroying the huge talent that was Michael Barlow when his leg was broken and never recovered the athleticism he previously had. Harvey apparently blasted Palmer in the change rooms after the match.

Rhys Palmers biggest impact at afl level was destroying the huge talent that was Michael Barlow when his leg was broken and never recovered the athleticism he previously had. Harvey apparently blasted Palmer in the change rooms after the match.
I don’t know about blasting a player if the right approach over that. But yeah was 100% palmers fault, I did an acl with a team mate doing something similar.

I don’t know about blasting a player if the right approach over that. But yeah was 100% palmers fault, I did an acl with a team mate doing something similar.
Barlows first 10 games were up there with Ablett Jr until that happened. A footy tragedy. Did you lose athleticism from your injury?

I wanted him in the ruck because I didn’t want a Ryder situation where we faffed around with positions for years when it was clear that his height and running ability equals ruckmen, blokes that tall aren’t midfielders.

I take it all back. This kid makes pithy s**t like “positions” redundant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back