Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

Remove this Banner Ad

b3ebc66265ef6bd495af79a6160b9352

Oliver Florent
Young speedster Oliver Florent has become a crucial element of coach John Longmire’s team since the Sydney Swans secured him with their first selection at the 2016 AFL Draft. The Victorian has shown glimpses of exhilarating footy on a wing, most memorably when he jagged a runaway goal in Round 4, 2018 to seal a gripping victory for the Swans over the Bulldogs. But Florent, who’s also spent time on the inside of the contest, is determined to continue to grow his game as a hybrid midfielder in 2020.

Oliver Florent
DOB: 22 July 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #11, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Grammar (Vic)/Sandringham U18

Thought he had a good year.
Played that wide wing role where he holds his width like Ed Langdon.
Part of that role is defensive and to cut off opposition switches.
He's a bloody hard tackler which I think doesn't get recognised
One of the things I like about the team in general is that they put their body into the tackles. Some (Heeney, Wicks, Cunningham) can be almost frightening, but there are virtually no swinging doors, even Lloyd, who used to be.

We must be watching completely different players, because I've found in most cases when he's been caught in tackles it's because he's been in two minds about whether to give it off to the outlet player who is in perfect position, and hanging onto it to dispose of it himself. It's textbook over-possession. He burns players on the regular because of his indecision. That comes down to awareness - being able to measure whether you or your teammate two metres away is in the better position to use the ball.

He looks to be an athlete who is trying to play football. His instinct is to get the ball and run as far as he can with it.

It’s exciting to watch, but it would be better if he’d take the first option and then run to create the next option.

He can improve but unfortunately I’m not sure if he’ll get much better.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He looks to be an athlete who is trying to play football. His instinct is to get the ball and run as far as he can with it.

It’s exciting to watch, but it would be better if he’d take the first option and then run to create the next option.

He can improve but unfortunately I’m not sure if he’ll get much better.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's a very acute observation. I think you've hit the nail on the head as to why Florent is struggling to elevate himself. There's a disconnect between his physical qualities (great speed, good evasion, decent strength) and his instinctive qualities (lack of composure, poor awareness, questionable decision making.)

I still think he can be a decent player but it wouldn't surprise me if it was for someone else. With the incredible amount of talent on our list, particularly in the midfield/wing department, I can see him getting Hewetted in the future.

That's a very acute observation. I think you've hit the nail on the head as to why Florent is struggling to elevate himself. There's a disconnect between his physical qualities (great speed, good evasion, decent strength) and his instinctive qualities (lack of composure, poor awareness, questionable decision making.)

I still think he can be a decent player but it wouldn't surprise me if it was for someone else. With the incredible amount of talent on our list, particularly in the midfield/wing department, I can see him getting Hewetted in the future.
A new verb in the Oxford dictionary, ‘Hewetted’ I love it.

Been waiting five years now for him to learn how to use his evasiveness, but you can't teach footy smarts. He lacks the necessary awareness to get the best out of his physical attributes. If he's gonna stop doing very dumb things and butchering the ball, it's like requiring him pick up two entirely new skills to him at this stage. Just not gonna happen. And if it is, the same leniency and optimism could be applied to literally every player on the list.
I think this post just shows you had unrealistic expectations in the first place. And not just you... a lot of others!

He's 23 (22/07/98), so 5 years ago he was 18 and 3 years ago he was 20... what kind of expectations did you have then, while he was still learning his trade, and adjusting to playing at AFL level. Don't forget that season 20 was played with most of the spine out with injury, and both 20 and 21 were played on the road due to COVID.

This year and next year... that's when we'll know... From my understanding (and I have no doubt you'll correct me if I'm wrong! :D), most players hit their peak 24-25. We're saying he has a bit more to do to reach his peak, and I'm personally saying we'll see the best he has to offer between 25 and 28, so writing him off now silly, imo.

Look at Dawson (09/04/97), a year older and look at what he produced this year...

Give him another year, two at the outside, and then we'll know where we stand...

I think this post just shows you had unrealistic expectations in the first place. And not just you... a lot of others!

He's 23 (22/07/98), so 5 years ago he was 18 and 3 years ago he was 20... what kind of expectations did you have then, while he was still learning his trade, and adjusting to playing at AFL level. Don't forget that season 20 was played with most of the spine out with injury, and both 20 and 21 were played on the road due to COVID.

This year and next year... that's when we'll know... From my understanding (and I have no doubt you'll correct me if I'm wrong! :D), most players hit their peak 24-25. We're saying he has a bit more to do to reach his peak, and I'm personally saying we'll see the best he has to offer between 25 and 28, so writing him off now silly, imo.

Look at Dawson (09/04/97), a year older and look at what he produced this year...

Give him another year, two at the outside, and then we'll know where we stand...

Sorry for having the expectation that he would be more than the 22nd man going into his sixth season...

Sorry for having the expectation that he would be more than the 22nd man going into his sixth season...
To be fair to Kirkswan, Have a look at the draft where we selected him. This is one of the poorest drafts ever. He is not a bust. He has upside. He is a quality player. I would ask you what you would do today
a. Delist
b. Trade for who..
c. What ever else you can do to get him off our list and for what?

People on here lament who we take at whatever. And our draft experts do their job.

I ask you who you would have taken in that draft at our pick....

To be fair to Kirkswan, Have a look at the draft where we selected him. This is one of the poorest drafts ever. He is not a bust. He has upside. He is a quality player. I would ask you what you would do today
a. Delist
b. Trade for who..

People on here lament who we take at whatever. And our draft experts do their job.

Utterly not disagreeing with you.
This brought to mind a comment made in Ollie's first year (in NEAFL) observing his terrific skills at that level but lamenting that his body had a lot of developing to do.
Then I thought about Ling and Stephens, who to a certain extent were similar in that regard.
Contrast with Papley and Warner, who were hard enough in their second years.
Perhaps this is something we should pay a little more attention to in the draft.
Have a look at how mature Jackson was and how quickly he has made an impact.
OK - Gulden is freakish.

a. Delist
b. Trade for who..

I'm not saying he's a bust rusty and I'm not even talking about his selection at the draft. I'm talking specifically about his position in the team and his place on the list now.

You ask me what I would do today. I would drop him if his form warrants it. We have an increasingly large midfield group that will next year include Parker, Mills, JPK, Heeney, Rowbottom, Warner, Gulden, Campbell and McInerney. I would have all but one of them (Campbell) ahead of Florent. That's just my view, however, I'm not sure how anyone could argue on the contrary.

So whether I like him or not, or agree with his drafting or not, it matters little. I think he's going to be in trouble unless he improves rapidly. And I say rapidly, because while I expect he may improve, I also expect the others already ahead of him to improve as well, and I think they have a higher ceiling. So if thinking he is going to need to improve and improve big-time if he wants to keep his spot is having "unfair expectations" on him, then colour me unfair.

I'm not saying he's a bust rusty and I'm not even talking about his selection at the draft. I'm talking specifically about his position in the team and his place on the list now.

You ask me what I would do today. I would drop him if his form warrants it. We have an increasingly large midfield group that will next year include Parker, Mills, JPK, Heeney, Rowbottom, Warner, Gulden, Campbell and McInerney. I would have all but one of them (Campbell) ahead of Florent. That's just my view, however, I'm not sure how anyone could argue on the contrary.

So whether I like him or not, or agree with his drafting or not, it matters little. I think he's going to be in trouble unless he improves rapidly. And I say rapidly, because while I expect he may improve, I also expect the others already ahead of him to improve as well, and I think they have a higher ceiling. So if thinking he is going to need to improve and improve big-time if he wants to keep his spot is having "unfair expectations" on him, then colour me unfair.
I think this is another transition year for our midfield. Lots of players in the washing machine that is our midfield. Lots of new players too. Fringe players.
I never thought Florent would be moved on because he is too good at what he does. atm.
We have a class of young guys pushing through. Florent will retain his position on form or get superseded. I think he will retain this year.

I think this is another transition year for our midfield. Lots of players in the washing machine that is our midfield. Lots of new players too. Fringe players.
I never thought Florent would be moved on because he is too good at what he does. atm.
We have a class of young guys pushing through. Florent will retain his position on form or get superseded. I think he will retain this year.

Well I honestly think that at least one of those players I named will be missing games next year. I don't think it will be any of Parker, Mills, JPK, Heeney, Rowbottom, Warner, Gulden or McInerney, unless through injury. Anything can happen of course but if it goes how I think it will, then Florent's "good" won't be good enough.

Florent is our #1 winger with Dawson animorphing into a snake and Campbell, Stephens, Gulden, McInerney, and Blakey all still developing or playing in other positions. I've wanted him to get more onball time ever since he tore it up to start 2020, but I don't know if it'll happen this year. Parker, Joey, Mills, Rowy, and Chad are our starting 5 and Heeney's getting more minutes there too. Not to mention in this mid heavy draft we're probably taking another one. It just seems like his best position. It highlights all his strengths and covers his flaws. As a winger though, Florent needs to be a better decision maker, that's the long and short of it. If he gets that right he'll be an AFL standard winger for the rest of his career. Big if tho

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess its telling when a group of posters say he lacks good decision making skills and another group say he lacks foot and execution skills. What exactly does he bring then?

I do think McInerney is already ahead of him and Blakey too if he repeats his late season form again.

I guess its telling when a group of posters say he lacks good decision making skills and another group say he lacks foot and execution skills. What exactly does he bring then?

I do think McInerney is already ahead of him and Blakey too if he repeats his late season form again.

Campbell could also go quickly past him on the wing. He may have to settle for a role on the inside of the midfield.

Agree about McInerney but I think Blakey now has a significantly different role which I hope he performs all season.
I see a lot to like about Florent but his kicking does let the side down sometimes.
I rewatched some of the GC game the other night and twice Ollie broke clear down the right off good teamwork and presented perfect passes to the out of position GC defender. In one, his man had 3m on his defender and just needed a nice pass 2m to advantage. Nope. Missed 5m to the left. No pressure, just missed. Great looking kick.
Happens too often, as others have remarked.

Pretty much this. He can do some very good things - the clutch goal at times, some nice spins out of trouble, some great delivery by foot. The problem is so many others can do all of those things and more, and they do it more consistently.

In a lesser team, a player with a game as flawed as Florent might still be a lock. But in this team where we are pretty loaded with talent, particularly in the young crew of which a few overtake Florent seemingly every year, his flaws stand out so much more. And I think we will reach an inflection point where we just have too many quality players in contention for our team to afford to persist with Florent while he's trying to iron his flaws out.

Well I honestly think that at least one of those players I named will be missing games next year. I don't think it will be any of Parker, Mills, JPK, Heeney, Rowbottom, Warner, Gulden or McInerney, unless through injury. Anything can happen of course but if it goes how I think it will, then Florent's "good" won't be good enough.
I think there is always injuries.
Florent plays closer to the ruck whereas Blakey, McInerney are now likely earmarked for HB/wing roles.
Gulden likely forward more than not.
JPK will be around only in 22 likely.
I think Florent will play the majority of games.
Otherwise they would not have move moved on Hewett.

swansfan51 I would like to report a troll
Comparison seems to show that Ablett was an elite scorer while still beating Florent in almost every other area, while Florent was just getting mediocre numbers in the middle as his full-time role.

Seems like a great comparison, I'm leaving it up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back