Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

Remove this Banner Ad

b3ebc66265ef6bd495af79a6160b9352

Oliver Florent
Young speedster Oliver Florent has become a crucial element of coach John Longmire’s team since the Sydney Swans secured him with their first selection at the 2016 AFL Draft. The Victorian has shown glimpses of exhilarating footy on a wing, most memorably when he jagged a runaway goal in Round 4, 2018 to seal a gripping victory for the Swans over the Bulldogs. But Florent, who’s also spent time on the inside of the contest, is determined to continue to grow his game as a hybrid midfielder in 2020.

Oliver Florent
DOB: 22 July 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #11, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Grammar (Vic)/Sandringham U18

It seems like if you get regular games at Sydney, it protects you from wanting to go home in a way. Most homesick Swans I can remember (Jetta is an exception) have been fringe senior guys not getting regular games.

If you're a regular senior player in your early 20's living in the eastern suburbs of Sydney by the beaches and work every day with a strong club full of close friends, you've got it pretty good.

Jetta was never a case of himself being homesick, it was his partner and in the end he had to follow her and the kids.

In fact every time Jetta plays us he looks downright unhappy to be played against us.

Jetta was never a case of himself being homesick, it was his partner and in the end he had to follow her and the kids.

In fact every time Jetta plays us he looks downright unhappy to be played against us.
You could tell by jettas interview at the best and fairest he didnt want to leave but he had to. He was a major part of our flag but ultimately im glad he did leave, its left us in a stronger position

Had a few down years where he was one of the more frustrating players on our list but Jetta was easily our most damaging player when on and confident.

It's off topic, but we certainly missed the importance of Jetta's long, accurate field kicking from the midfield and flanks. It's taken us a while to evolve around losing that.

It's off topic, but we certainly missed the importance of Jetta's long, accurate field kicking from the midfield and flanks. It's taken us a while to evolve around losing that.

Was going to move the posts to a Jetta thread but the last few had been locked and wasn't the nicest discussion :oops:

Watching Florent play makes me feel old.

His father won an ATP doubles title with Joshua Eagle in 1998 a few months before Ollie was born, at Memorial Drive in Adelaide.

This was also the event in which prominent Crows supporter Lleyton Hewitt, aged 16 years 11 months, became the youngest player to win an ATP final.

Cant see his confidence getting much higher, his first instinct is to take the man on now, whoever it is. If he adds goal kicking to his game, he can be an all australian next year

Is that before or after his first Brownlow win?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was going to put a tenner on him for the Rising Star a few weeks ago, but was worried he would fly under the radar a bit too much. Now he's forced people to take notice. Bittersweet watching him continue to tear it up. :'(:'(:'(:'(

$80 is better than nothing I guess. :oops:

Was going to put a tenner on him for the Rising Star a few weeks ago, but was worried he would fly under the radar a bit too much. Now he's forced people to take notice. Bittersweet watching him continue to tear it up. :'(:'(:'(:'(

$80 is better than nothing I guess. :oops:

I was lucky enough to throw a $50 on him with odds of $53. Now the dilemma I have is whether or not to cash out.
It's been amazing and almost unbelievable seeing his improvement from last year.

I was lucky enough to throw a $50 on him with odds of $53. Now the dilemma I have is whether or not to cash out.
It's been amazing and almost unbelievable seeing his improvement from last year.
Tigers game could be telling. If he tears it up against them, people will be forced to take notice.

Big takeaway from looking at his game the last few weeks, he needs to get better at his kicking. Has been dreadful and very scrappy by foot.

Like, Newman bad.

But his effort and running to get the ball has been fantastic and by hands he is pretty clean.

Watching Florent play makes me feel old.

His father won an ATP doubles title with Joshua Eagle in 1998 a few months before Ollie was born, at Memorial Drive in Adelaide.

This was also the event in which prominent Crows supporter Lleyton Hewitt, aged 16 years 11 months, became the youngest player to win an ATP final.
Geee... thanks for that RW :rolleyes:

:p

Big takeaway from looking at his game the last few weeks, he needs to get better at his kicking. Has been dreadful and very scrappy by foot.

Like, Newman bad.

But his effort and running to get the ball has been fantastic and by hands he is pretty clean.

I think his kicking his great. It’s more so his decision-making that at times has let him down. The last few weeks he’s had a really awesome play and charged through the corridor only to kind of rush with his decisions and resort to the long bomb. I thought that was a flaw evident especially on the weekend when he was delivering it inside 50. Maybe he’s been at the Swans too long where all the players are brainwashed into thinking that long bombs without looking actually work.

But he’s proven that when he finds the right target he can nail it, as well as the more risky kicks. I imagine it’s the adrenaline and pressure that lures him into just trying to get boot to ball at all times instead of slowing it down to find the best option. That will come for him though

To compare him to Newman is harsh though. Newman’s kicking is bad because he is lazy and tries to be too cute. Florent is just a kid who isn’t always going to make the best decisions when he’s charging to the forward line like Peter Matera.

I think he will win it fron here, playing with alot more responsibity than most others. Plus we have a good record of winning rising stars!!

He's clearly above the rest of the pack IMO but only half way through the season, ways to go yet. As crazy as it sounds, I wouldn't be too unhappy if Florent gets his inevitable lull over with at some stage of the second of this season. Get it out of the way before the finals.. imagine him fit and firing in a final for us

He's clearly above the rest of the pack IMO but only half way through the season, ways to go yet. As crazy as it sounds, I wouldn't be too unhappy if Florent gets his inevitable lull over with at some stage of the second of this season. Get it out of the way before the finals.. imagine him fit and firing in a final for us
I'd love Ollie to win it but I think it's Witherden's for the taking atm, he's an incredible footballer in the making.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back