Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

Remove this Banner Ad

b3ebc66265ef6bd495af79a6160b9352

Oliver Florent
Young speedster Oliver Florent has become a crucial element of coach John Longmire’s team since the Sydney Swans secured him with their first selection at the 2016 AFL Draft. The Victorian has shown glimpses of exhilarating footy on a wing, most memorably when he jagged a runaway goal in Round 4, 2018 to seal a gripping victory for the Swans over the Bulldogs. But Florent, who’s also spent time on the inside of the contest, is determined to continue to grow his game as a hybrid midfielder in 2020.

Oliver Florent
DOB: 22 July 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #11, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Grammar (Vic)/Sandringham U18

He is definitely being driven by his father's memory. That is one hell of a way to tap into some mental strength & to grow up quickly. We lost the GF because we lacked players that had the mental strength to dig deeper, other than JPK. It's all very well to hear players talk about how we are going "use that feeling burning in our gut" after the GF loss but that is just a crock of s**t!

Young Ollie is the man I would have more confidence in for showing some ticker when it matters. Just let him beef up a bit first!

I think KB doesn't rate pure footballers and skills, he rates character more important and that hurts in the early picks.

Florent will just be another midfielder you cant hit a target, might create a bit more run and carry and create some options but surely we needed a mid that could kick.

Won't be a bust but will just be another player that can't deliver the last pass into the forward line in the pressure games or under no pressure like most of our mids.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

What a disappointing post.

Always happy to see the new draftees come on board. So much potential & hope. However I've had my eye on Florent in particular though. After such a hard year I think he showed the kind of mental toughness we as a club are built on.

Kelly. Kirk. Goodes. Kizza. Macca. All captains who have shown similar mental strength. I'm not comparing him to those champions or saying he'll be a superstar like them. But for me, he's a great young prospect who's shown more than just some speed, endurance or footskills.

It easy enough to build the physicallities required into a player through training etc. It's a hell of a lot harder to change someones attitude, behaviours, values & mental toughness. Life does that first before you get a chance at moulding it & shaping it into what you need.

He seems like a great young man who's done it tough the last year or so but managed to perform. That's a trait which we as a club should be able to utilise & value.

Good luck to him. I hope he digs in & becomes a champion blood.
There is one other we can add to this list of mentally tough leaders - S. Maxfield

I must be missing why this guy has been rated so highly as none of his highlights seem that impressive. Still, I would love to be proven wrong.

Seems his own club never rated him that highly either.

"The Dragons were aware they would have a few players drafted early, but Oliver Florent's selection at No.11 surprised them.

"We were probably a little bit gobsmacked at all of that and how (the draft) rolled out. It was really interesting in regards to the academy bids and picks," he said.

"The Swans obviously really liked Ollie and we probably thought he may have gone a little bit deeper … but you only need one club to like you."

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-27...smacked?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-27...ul-leaves-talent-manager-gobsmacked.mobileapp

Last edited:

"The Dragons were aware they would have a few players drafted early, but Oliver Florent's selection at No.11 surprised them.

"We were probably a little bit gobsmacked at all of that and how (the draft) rolled out. It was really interesting in regards to the academy bids and picks," he said.

"The Swans obviously really liked Ollie and we probably thought he may have gone a little bit deeper … but you only need one club to like you."

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-27...smacked?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-27...ul-leaves-talent-manager-gobsmacked.mobileapp

That doesn't fill me with confidence.

This didn't fill me with confidence:

"In 2007, the Northern Knights had Matthew Kreuzer and Trent Cotchin in the opening two spots (as the Dragons had this year), as well as Patrick Veszpremi (No.11), Jack Grimes (No.14) and Brett Meredith (No.26)."

Just the way he spoke honestly about Horse going to visit him & won he & the family ove,r is such a terrific endorsement for both club & player.
One would have to think that at such a young age & so soon after losing his dad & watching him suffer, Ollie will need some mentoring & our system provides exactly that, not just from the coaches but from the men he will play alongside. All you need is a person who is willing.
We drafted exactly that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You were the one that banged on about how McVeigh was causing Global Warming and that he liked punching babies in his free time. He became our captain and a very good player so I don't think you are the perfect person to judge talent.
Put it this way , I have a lot more experience at it than your good self. Now maybe settle back and give the kid a chance, we have recruited him and that's it. Nothing you or i say on here will change that. Now get behind him and hope he has a great career at the Bloods. GHMTWH.

Just from looking at the highlights video, I immediately thought, similar to Toby Greene at GWS. Which would be an ok outcome for us.

Get behind the boy and give him the confidence he needs to be a superstar. We all know its just the start. Talent alone doesnt mean s**t. He has the talent as does most in the draft, now he needs to work hard and trust our system to turn him into the gun he has every chance to be. Cant wait to see him develop before our eyes.

Put it this way , I have a lot more experience at it than your good self. Now maybe settle back and give the kid a chance, we have recruited him and that's it. Nothing you or i say on here will change that. Now get behind him and hope he has a great career at the Bloods.

This post was more restrained than I expected it to be.

Last edited:
Get behind the boy and give him the confidence he needs to be a superstar. We all know its just the start. Talent alone doesnt mean s**t. He has the talent as does most in the draft, now he needs to work hard and trust our system to turn him into the gun he has every chance to be. Cant wait to see him develop before our eyes.

Good post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back