Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

Remove this Banner Ad

b3ebc66265ef6bd495af79a6160b9352

Oliver Florent
Young speedster Oliver Florent has become a crucial element of coach John Longmire’s team since the Sydney Swans secured him with their first selection at the 2016 AFL Draft. The Victorian has shown glimpses of exhilarating footy on a wing, most memorably when he jagged a runaway goal in Round 4, 2018 to seal a gripping victory for the Swans over the Bulldogs. But Florent, who’s also spent time on the inside of the contest, is determined to continue to grow his game as a hybrid midfielder in 2020.

Oliver Florent
DOB: 22 July 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #11, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Grammar (Vic)/Sandringham U18

Imo, KE% is a bad stat because a 40 metre bullet to a hit a chest inside 50 is considered the same binary outcome as a long aimless kick up the line, or a 15 metre sideways kick.

Theres no context or further insight about a players skill level to be learned from that stat. With the stats available you cant paint a picture of a players disposal ability without manually tracking them yourself.

Florent in general is lacking skill by foot, though he can put it together every now and then. Richmond this year was probably his best game.

The problem for Florent is that we actually have quite a few really good kicks in the team now, so it makes his bad kicks even more obvious.

If he was an average kick then he would be so much more damaging than he currently is, but the problem is when he is kicking the ball forward it not only does not go to a Swans player, but most of the time he seems to pick out an opposition player that does not have a Swans player anywhere near him.

The problem for Florent is that we actually have quite a few really good kicks in the team now, so it makes his bad kicks even more obvious.

If he was an average kick then he would be so much more damaging than he currently is, but the problem is when he is kicking the ball forward it not only does not go to a Swans player, but most of the time he seems to pick out an opposition player that does not have a Swans player anywhere near him.

Yeah but it's not even just his kicking. The guy's got no idea what he's doing in traffic. Indecision and a lack of awareness are recipes for disaster in any player whose forte is supposed to be evasion and moving in and out of traffic etc. In doing so he also always burns a better option who he could find with a simple handball.

Florent in general is lacking skill by foot, though he can put it together every now and then. Richmond this year was probably his best game.

I think you were right when you posted this earlier in the thread (this was the infamous Hanners 2.0 post a couple of seasons ago which you got bagged unfairly for):

His kicking is just bad, hasn't improved one bit. But knows how to get the ball and has good smarts and handball skills, as well as some pace and flash.

He is not a great kick (Gulden, by contrast, is a beautiful kick, but can you believe actually has lower KE% - was surprised about that), but what that KE% suggests to me is that he generally makes good decisions with the ball (kicking and decision-making are two different skills). That said I think he has been down in this area recently.

J Mac has overtaken him massively
TBF, there's a whole host of players that have been overtaken by Justin.

I'm not defending Florent, just that comparing him against probably our best draft pick in years (based on where we picked him up) is a little unfair.

I know it is not easy but Florent's main goal in the preseason should be to work on his kicking technique. The Swans coaching staff should put in more time and effort into changing it because if he can fix that he would be a really solid player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it is not easy but Florent's main goal in the preseason should be to work on his kicking technique. The Swans coaching staff should put in more time and effort into changing it because if he can fix that he would be a really solid player.
That's the issue, I don't think there's anything wrong with his technique, is very solid, and looks good when it comes off.

Bad decision making and rushing his actions are the bigger issue.

People see what they want to see. Florent’s kicking has improved significantly from prior years. It was the common complaint in prior years that he couldn’t hit the side of a barn. He now hits that barn more often than not. Maybe he wasn’t that great last but still stepped up when needed.

McInerney is a great kick but will miss a few which isn’t surprising given he kicks when at full pace.

Zac Jones could be a great kick of the ball but is a brain dead footballer.

I like Florent a lot, but I have to agree with trading him to keep some other blokes. He, atm, is proving to be the most replaceable player on the list.

And I've defended Florent a lot, I just don't see what he does that someone else can't

Persist. I used to hate on Harry Cunningham heaps, but now he is mr reliable. Florent has taken huge steps this year with his kicking. He started some chains to goal yesterday, and had the balls to take the corridor kick from D50.. A kick that neither Lloyd or Dawson successfully pulled off yesterday. What more do we want from him.. Hes 23 lol

Just because he has played a tonne of games doesnt mean hes at his peak physically

Remove this Banner Ad

Back