1st Test: England vs Australia [Match Thread] - Umpiring/DRS in other thread (cont in Pt.2)

Your prediction?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
geez im glad i was at work and couldnt watch last nights play. Between that Broad non-decision by Aleem stevie wonder Dar, and Haddin dropping Bell, i think i would have broken something inside my house.

How did Haddin get picked? I missed the part where he got back into the team.

geez im glad i was at work and couldnt watch last nights play. Between that Broad non-decision by Aleem stevie wonder Dar, and Haddin dropping Bell, i think i would have broken something inside my house.

How did Haddin get picked? I missed the part where he got back into the team.

Because Wade is just as bad and to bolster Clarke's leadership

We are doing most things pretty well. Our biggest problem is our batting and bowling with the first 5 overs of the new ball.

Why can't Pattinson and Starc bowl full and straight with the new ball! The first 5 overs are when it's doing the most and they have both failed to control the swing. This is the golden period to nab a really high class wicket or two and so far we've wasted it. too short, too wide, down leg side. Just get it full, allow for the swing hit the stumps or get it near off stump please fellas.

Haddin on last legs. we all know he's a poor keeper and he's backed that up, he's in there for his batting which so far he's failed at. Cowan has Warner breathing down his back and would want to do better than that, what an ordinary and stupid shot that was.

Finally Hughes is batting lower middle order, where I have said he should be for years! You just don't open with a bloke with an ordinary technique who doesn't like really fast bouncy bowling.

Agar is a win for us. Our top and middle order need to fire on what will be a good wicket to bat on.

Starc has shown no ability to be consistent with the new ball yet, not even at state level as far as I am aware so he was hardly likely to change that in his first Ashes test.

Pattinson is a bit better but still loses the plot through trying too hard. These are very young and inexperienced quick bowlers who have not played under this level of pressure before. It takes an exceptional talent and temperament to come up trumps first up in this environment.

Hopefully, they are both learning from it. Pattinson bowled some good spells yesterday and his big positive is that he's not one to drop his head.

And middle order.

The record fourth innings to win at Trent Bridge is 286, so 300 would be a very tall order even putting aside Australia's woeful batting, Anderson and Swann. Admittedly this isn't a typical Nottingham pitch, and this match has had its share of twists so one more might happen.
But its nearly three quarter time and England are 7 or 8 goals up.
I'd say more like 5 or 6 goals up, but they have extreme momentum

However he missed the THIN edge, as umpires often do. The ball did not deflect to first slip UNTIL it hit Haddin's gloves.

it wasn't a thin edge. me and a mate both picked it paralytic in a pub with no sound.

terrible decision.

but we ****ed ourselves up with use of DRS.

also our bowling strength has not materialised in this second innings. i think not picking bird has cost us.

Can any of you see our batsmen digging in and toppling the poms, provided we get them out with a catchable total?
Sorry, our batsmen don't do "dig in".

:oops:

We squandered the new ball. Patto and Starc were both poor with it. Having said that I thiought Clarke took it too early. Starc had Broad in all sorts with the old ball reversing attacking his stumps. Then they were only given a very short rest of a few overs before being given the new ball.

Patto in particular has to tidy it up and get more patient. Lord's will be a good wicket for seamers but the rest will likely be dry and flat, giving little out of the pitch to deny us our strengths and play to England's strengths, which are spin and then swing when atmospheric conditions play along. We need to be smarter and more patient. We did it well yesterday up to taking the new ball then we lost the plot and began to leak runs.

Also, please Clarke put a fn third man in for Bell half his friggin runs have come from guiding it for four between gully and slips.

The Stuart Fraud incident is going to be only the first of many little bits of cheatery and dodgy umpiring that goes with any Ashes series in England. We will have to keep our cool and stay focused. You always have to play that bit better to overcome them with all the advantages they get at home. Need to knock these muppets over quickly and then get a big 90 from Watto and a captain's knock from Clarke to chase down what will probably be a record chase for this ground.

Can any of you see our batsmen digging in and toppling the poms, provided we get them out with a catchable total?
Clarke maybe. Hughes could. Smith looked OK first innings, but I wouldn't call "digging in" his speciality. Rogers has a brain which is a nice change. Watson unlikely, Haddin NO, Cowan maximum possible score is 40.

I'd say more like 5 or 6 goals up, but they have extreme momentum

The Aussies have little stomach for attritional cricket and even if they knocked over England in the first hour, they'll have to bat for a long time to get the runs on this wicket.

Decided to have some blind hope that a few brain transplants have gone on over night with our batsmen.

3v5xdl.jpg

f
ffs, the edge was thin, it went to slip because it hit haddin's gloves.
can you be that blind?
and will you apologise?
You are wrong. The edge was significant, it deflected slightly off Haddin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back