Traded 2. Paddy Dow

Remove this Banner Ad

Any idea where he went for 3/4's?

I've never seen anyone drop off the map like that.
The whole side disappeared from half way in the second to the last qtr.

Mundy, Serong and co destroyed us in the clearances and nobody in our midfield got near it. We all agree Dow has plenty to work on, primarily what he does when he doesn't have the ball but he's trending very well and probably no coincidence his first quarter resulted in our best first quarter performance in recent memory.

Regarding his training standards, many would note Paddy spent a significant period of time this preseason shadowing Sam Walsh (as did Setterfield I believe, but I think that's more a bromance). Looks to have done the job.

Any idea where he went for 3/4's?

I've never seen anyone drop off the map like that.

He was still going alright in the second. The midfield group dropped off noticeably in the 3rd (ie both him and Kennedy with Crippa somewhat hobbled) when the Freo mids ramped it up.

I'd suggest the Freo mids got a nice old rev up at half time and came out firing and our boys didn't react well enough to the uptick in intensity.

Spot on GB, there’s a noticeable difference with his mindset and approach, he was just sitting on the outskirts in no mans land looking hesitant, with little impact...
He seems to have gone back to just playing on instinct and hunting the ball like he used to first coming into the AFL system...
Another thing is his kicking, his kicking action looks incredible the improvement is amazing, it has such a beautiful fluent action about it now, his kicks have punch power accuracy and some have been beautifully weighted...

The kicking is the big thing in my mind. Has clearly worked very hard at it. Is a small sample but genuinely looked elite the last two games. Proves the work ethic is there.

Fitness will continue to come.

People keep saying improve his defence. Agreed from a defensive running and centre bounce structure point of view but I don't ever want him get over focussed on defence. COULD be our most damaging centre square player and needs to play to that.

Amazing to think the kid who was constantly scrubbing kicks along the ground and didn't look barely VFL grade (in kicking quality) has now been kicking goals and kicking bullets I50.

Keep working on his fitness/tank, he'll be golden. He'll probably always be a bit like Judd in that he can't really play anywhere but on-ball, but his sheer strengths in that area will mean you wouldn't care. One of a few ways he's Judd-like. Not fair to compare the young man to the Great Man, but you know what I mean.

You would think so.
Curnow moving out has aided his performance imo as well.
Think they’ve just told him to play naturally.

What’s really impressed me is his kicking recently.

i wonder if he was confused by previous instructions and would panic

The kicking has improved heaps. However he still handballs to teammates well under pressure.

The kicking is the big thing in my mind. Has clearly worked very hard at it.

is actually one of the more bizarre things i've seen at AFL level. it may be a fluke the past 2 weeks but the drastic change had me convinced we actually secretly replaced him with another player.

he is getting the boot to ball quicker, kicking through it, hitting the target and getting serious penetration in them. literally the complete opposite of all his kicks for his entire career until 2 weeks ago.

very strange indeed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

is actually one of the more bizarre things i've seen at AFL level. it may be a fluke the past 2 weeks but the drastic change had me convinced we actually secretly replaced him with another player.

he is getting the boot to ball quicker, kicking through it, hitting the target and getting serious penetration in them. literally the complete opposite of all his kicks for his entire career until 2 weeks ago.

very strange indeed.

It's just total hyperbole that he has never had a good kick in his career prior to the last 2 weeks.

The only person involved with coaching for the last 10 years has left the club, a new coach has taken over the midfield and we saw an improvement in the midfield last week, if our mids keep improving, then we know the reason behind the lack of development.

It would be lovely if it was all just Barkers fault and that now everything is gunna be all right

No it's not. He's had the odd goal float through but that's it really.

Yeah his kicking had been trash besides the last 2 weeks, which have been very good

I had given up after the start of this year, but admitt the last 2 weeks have been hugely promising

Easily his best game. His first was outstanding, but what i was really impressed with was his will to fight, scrap and dig in, when game was on the line in the last.

He has also added goal kicking to his repertoire, which makes him really valuable.

Our best passages of play last night were when we moved the ball through a chain of handballs. Dow is very good with his hands.

Heres hoping he becomes consistant.
The best one was when he almost put a hole through JSOS’ head….

team can learn from Dow’s delivery like that.

Kept his spot so that ******* good . Go Paddy Dow . Cats incoming.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The best one was when he almost put a hole through JSOS’ head….

team can learn from Dow’s delivery like that.

I was going to say, I don't know if thats been touched on enough. The clean hands to pick up the ball, and then spin and get it to foot absolutely lace out was great to watch!

It would be lovely if it was all just Barkers fault and that now everything is gunna be all right
End of the day, Barker's left the building and Power is in charge of the mids and stoppages. If they keep improving under Power, then all good :D

So far, 2 wins with improvements in the midfield. It's not a done job yet... but Dow and SPS are playing in their correct spots and are starting to light up. If LOB comes good next year at Carlton, it's a good thing.

His strength to stand up in the tackle has impressed me..
Improvement in his kicking and decision making is more from getting used to the speed of the game you'd think..

If he can build a tank and spend more than 65% TOG, he is going to be an absolute weapon...
Since he came back into the side he's been doing better and has had only one game below 65%.

82% vs Freo
76% vs Ade
63% vs GWS
79% vs WCE

Luke Power is the catalyst for our engine room, will continue to develop and mentor the youngsters & inspire the mature players too.
A champion midfielder, triple premiership player, so very well credentialed. Very surprised club did not make switch to Luke a long ago.

Dow seems to have learnt to relax a little more when kicking rather than being so tense. Also not locking the leg out straight when kicking as much. Need to keep the knee a little bent.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Think we all need to remember when they come to AFL they are teenagers, just kids.
Playing APS is a long way off the rigours of AFL.
When he came to AFL, the first thing he would have to have learnt, aside from fitness and training and diet, would have been just finding the ball.
Then he'd need to worry about what to do with it once he got it.
Some kids are just that, kids and it takes them a while to learn it all and feel comfortable and confident.
For a mid taken at pick 3 he has taken a fair bit of time but the skills / elite traits are evident for all to see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back