Toast 2014 National Draft, pick #31 - welcome to Hawthorn Daniel Howe

Remove this Banner Ad

He's odd that his foot skills aren't necessarily bad normally, not like Langford or Picken - but he's inclined to kick an absolute scrubber here or there. So he goes from hitting a target reliably to missing a target completely and kicking it along the ground.

Strange for a kid who finished second in the kicking efficiency test at the draft combine.

Seems slow and laconic getting foot to ball.

Would agree with that, he almost seems slow in his processing of decisions, like he hasn’t quite picked up the speed of the game, playing like he has time that he doesn’t actually have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would agree with that, he almost seems slow in his processing of decisions, like he hasn’t quite picked up the speed of the game, playing like he has time that he doesn’t actually have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sometimes feel we think he has played more footy than he has (only 37 games), because he's walked into the centre square, rather than being groomed on a flank, like most kids. Pretty impressive for a kid picked at 31 in the draft.

From his draft year...

Daniel HOWE
Murray Bushrangers | 4/12/95 | H: 192cm | W: 85kg
Dan is another private school boy who came back and played for us as a 19-year-old and was superb. Dan has really clean hands, makes good, quick decisions by hand and foot and executes well under pressure. He showed great vision in traffic, and will hit someone 50 metres away without them having to change stride. He went into the midfield for us this year and was brilliant, including a three-goal game in the final at Visy Park. Played well for Vic Country and three games for Richmond’s VFL team and did well. He has the dimensions and attributes of the new-age big midfielder, and has done everything right. – Murray Bushrangers coach Darren Ogier

Last edited:
I sometimes feel we think he has played more footy than he has (only 37 games), because he's walked into the centre square, rather than being groomed on a flank, like most kids. Pretty impressive for a kid picked at 31 in the draft.

From his draft year...

Daniel HOWE
Murray Bushrangers | 4/12/95 | H: 192cm | W: 85kg
Dan is another private school boy who came back and played for us as a 19-year-old and was superb. Dan has really clean hands, makes good, quick decisions by hand and foot and executes well under pressure. He showed great vision in traffic, and will hit someone 50 metres away without them having to change stride. He went into the midfield for us this year and was brilliant, including a three-goal game in the final at Visy Park. Played well for Vic Country and three games for Richmond’s VFL team and did well. He has the dimensions and attributes of the new-age big midfielder, and has done everything right. – Murray Bushrangers coach Darren Ogier

That review makes him sound like a levelled up Patty Cripps

I'm just surprised at how much we love the Murray Bushrangers.

SA Boys, Bushies and Eastern Ranges = Hawks.

Very true... Although I have a very acute love for Calder and the Assumption boys as I have business in the town! Go Mitchy Lewis

Very true... Although I have a very acute love for Calder and the Assumption boys as I have business in the town! Go Mitchy Lewis

Footy is all that ACK is good for. I had the option to go there but didn't quite have the sports talent.

Kilmore is too cold anyhow!

Footy is all that ACK is good for. I had the option to go there but didn't quite have the sports talent.

Kilmore, yes. Drove through there about 15 times before I realised there was a town. And only then because a dog ran out in front of me and I thought 'WTF is a dog doing way out here?'

New Principal is an academic so no more poaching elite athletes and putting them up as borders for feee, that has gone and the sports side of it has suffered. I don't live in the town and I only pop my head in once a week but the town is nice enough, the people are fantastic but I certainly couldn't live there.

I'm just surprised at how much we love the Murray Bushrangers.

SA Boys, Bushies and Eastern Ranges = Hawks.

Always been a strong little contingent of WA boys at the Hawks as well.

Mitchell, O'Meara, Stratton at the moment, Buddy, Bateman, Bucky, Chick in years gone by ...

Anyone who thinks this guy isn't best 22 or even thinks he's fringe, or depth needs to watch this game:

Not everyone can be a locked in best 22 player. There will always be fringe players, regardless of how good they have been.

He was also only given a one-year contract which is hardly suggestive of him being considered a locked in best 22 player.

Players that are better or more important to the side (for various reasons, such as being a KPP):

Mitchell, JOM, Wingard, Worpel, McEvoy/ruck, Bramble (?)

Hardwick, CJ, Sicily, Day, Frost, Hartigan, Impey, Scrimshaw

Breust, Gunston, Lewis, Kosi, Moore

That's 19 players there, not including a second ruckman which we will surely run with.

If someone like Howe, coming off a career best year, is around the bottom few players picked in our best senior side then we are on the right track.

Just goes to show how hard it will be to get a gig in the side this season, every spot will have to really be earned.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone who thinks this guy isn't best 22 or even thinks he's fringe, or depth needs to watch this game:
He was told to look for a trade, and when nothing eventauted he took a 1 yr contract.

That’s not a guy who’s locked into the 22.

He was told to look for a trade, and when nothing eventauted he took a 1 yr contract.

That’s not a guy who’s locked into the 22.
There are heaps of reasons for players to be put up for trade, that don't include them not being in the best 22.

We've traded the reigning Crimmins medalist for pick 88 in the past.

The dogs game was an out of the box one though. He needs to try to compete at that level more often.

There was also his games against Melbourne x2 and Freo where he was poor.

The challenge is on his shoulders now to show just how well he can play.

The dogs game was an out of the box one though. He needs to try to compete at that level more often.

There was also his games against Melbourne x2 and Freo where he was poor.

The challenge is on his shoulders now to show just how well he can play.
7th in the PCM suggests it wasn't one out of the box, it suggests in fact that he is a pretty decent player.

Not everyone can be a locked in best 22 player. There will always be fringe players, regardless of how good they have been.

He was also only given a one-year contract which is hardly suggestive of him being considered a locked in best 22 player.

Players that are better or more important to the side (for various reasons, such as being a KPP):

Mitchell, JOM, Wingard, Worpel, McEvoy/ruck, Bramble (?)

Hardwick, CJ, Sicily, Day, Frost, Hartigan, Impey, Scrimshaw

Breust, Gunston, Lewis, Kosi, Moore

That's 19 players there, not including a second ruckman which we will surely run with.

If someone like Howe, coming off a career best year, is around the bottom several players picked in our best senior side then we are on the right track.

Just goes to show how hard it will be to get a gig in the side this season, every spot will have to really be earned.
In Howe’s favour, we aren’t flushed with out and out wingman. Can definitely put him in the top one or two in that position if we assume all the half backs stay at half back. The great mystery is, what do we do with all the half backs? And will ward, downie or MacDonald force their way into the side as a wingman?

There are heaps of reasons for players to be put up for trade, that don't include them not being in the best 22.

We've traded the reigning Crimmins medalist for pick 88 in the past.
But we know Sam was near the end and we needed to change the make up of our list.
Why was Howe told to find a trade at 25, if he’s a lock for the best 22 this year?

But we know Sam was near the end and we needed to change the make up of our list.
Why was Howe told to find a trade at 25, if he’s a lock for the best 22 this year?

Because he is, in fact, not a lock. Which was the obvious answer... Occam's Razor and all that. As a self-professed intellectual, that is surely something grumble can appreciate.

In Howe’s favour, we aren’t flushed with out and out wingman. Can definitely put him in the top one or two in that position if we assume all the half backs stay at half back. The great mystery is, what do we do with all the half backs? And will ward, downie or MacDonald force their way into the side as a wingman?

I think both Day and Bramble have the capacity to become better wingman, if they aren't already. CJ too, thanks to his outrageous athleticism. Downie has the tools but needs to put it together. Morrison and Phillips are placeholders currently.

The thing in Howe's favor is that he's strong and very competitive in one-on-one situations and accountable. If Mitchell is wanting Howe to play as an outlet on one wing and trust him to beat his direct opponent in one-on-one situations, then that could allow us to use extra numbers elsewhere.

Last edited:
As I’ve said multiple times - when Howe is fit and available for selection he is overwhelmingly picked in the side. Not sure how that’s not a best 22 player. He has very seldom suited up for Box Hill since 2016.

7th in the PCM suggests it wasn't one out of the box, it suggests in fact that he is a pretty decent player.
Wasn’t our worst player. But he was helped a lot of our players who would have finished higher CJ, Impey, Day even Bramble suffered injuries or didn’t play many.

Plus that 16 vote game took him from equal 14th to 7th. Suggesting the rest of his year was a fair way off that quality.

Howe is one that is fighting for a spot. Especially in order to become a better team Howe is one who has to improve or get overtaken. Doubt any top 8 team from last year would have him best 22.

Doubt any top 8 team from last year would have him best 22.

Gary Rohan has played in 3 grand finals. Plenty of players who aren’t shooting the lights out that are one of the first players picked because the fill a need. To me he’s still one of our best defensive/negating midfielders we have and is 4 years younger than Shiels and on an upward trajectory production-wise.

Gary Rohan has played in 3 grand finals. Plenty of players who aren’t shooting the lights out that are one of the first players picked because the fill a need. To me he’s still one of our best defensive/negating midfielders we have and is 4 years younger than Shiels and on an upward trajectory production-wise.
Howe struggled last couple of years as a defensive mid. And found a place this year as a winger due to us having no wingers.

I see Duke and Nash getting games as a mid ahead of him. And as our wingers looking a lot stronger with Bramble, CJ, Ward etc having the potential to move through Howe has a massive fight on his hands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back