List Mgmt. 2016 Draft, Trades and Retirements Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Bulldogs (and GWS in the QF) beat us for hardness, pace and skill. So we need those to win
I'll question you on the hardness bit.
We are renowned & respected as a team for our consistent hardness by the opposition which is why they get themselves up for a hard physical contest e every time they play us.
GWS especially find another 20% when they play us such is their desire to gain tge upper hand on us in NSW.

Marshall screams Justin Koschitzke to me. He will be a barely okay second key tall forward who will always do just enough to hold his place in the team but will never be a genuine threat or the type of player who is capable of kicking a bag of goals in a game.
Yeah, maybe. I just see this as one of our rare chances to get a KPF. We normally get a pick from 14-18, and any decent KPF is gone by then. If we don't take the chance this year, we might not get another one for 2-3 years.

I get people just want kicking skills, but i think you can get that later in the draft (19). We don't need a KPD (Talia, Aliir, XR (maybe), AJ), we don't need half backs (we've got SexyTyrone, O'riordan, Dawson etc all waiting for a chance), we've got enough mids in theory. The only position we are a bit thin on the ground is a KPF. If we get Marshall, we've potentially got a better option than XR if Reid or Buddy gets injured.

anyone know how one can buy tickets to the draft at hordern pavillion?

So in hindsight i think we stuffed up the Hiscox pick we should have let the dockers take him.

The next ten picks after him were: alex neal bullen, jack lonie, billy stretch, mitch mcgovern, liam dawson, bailey dale, caleb daniel, cory gregson, matthew goodyear.

There are six out of that ten that i would have picked.

So in hindsight i think we stuffed up the Hiscox pick we should have let the dockers take him.

The next ten picks after him were: alex neal bullen, jack lonie, billy stretch, mitch mcgovern, liam dawson, bailey dale, caleb daniel, cory gregson, matthew goodyear.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it?

The one that always gets me is Tambling... Whoever made that call must just about vomit whenever the footy is on now surely?!?

Local promising kid we put time and effort into. You never give up a chance to keep a kid like that

Hewett struggles to inject himself into games sometimes but his composure is off the charts. Can absolutely kick off both sides.

Hilarious to contrast him with the way Jack darts and weaves like a cat on a hot tin roof.

He's just a pure midfielder. He'll find it much easier to inject himself into a game once he's loitering at the feet of the ruckman. He's hands down my Mitchell replacement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it?

The one that always gets me is Tambling... Whoever made that call must just about vomit whenever the footy is on now surely?!?

I have always been of the belief that Tambling was ruined by the expectation Richmond supporters placed on him as a kid by playing him way too early. A classic example of a young player going to the wrong club for his particular needs in development.
Imagine Tambling in our system where he wouldn't get a game until his body developed & he understood the game plan.
The guy had some serious skill but his confidence was burnt so bad that he lost all self belief.

It's no coincidence that the Tigers have a history of this. Melbourne did the same with Watts early days. The expectation for a young high draft pick to be the saviour for their success starved club actually is to the detriment of certain players' development.

Good reason why we are highly regarded by the AFL world for our careful development of these kids, which in turn now makes us a great destination club for a potential draftee maximise his potential!

I have always been of the belief that Tambling was ruined by the expectation Richmond supporters placed on him as a kid by playing him way too early. A classic example of a young player going to the wrong club for his particular needs in development.
Imagine Tambling in our system where he wouldn't get a game until his body developed & he understood the game plan.
The guy had some serious skill but his confidence was burnt so bad that he lost all self belief.

It's no coincidence that the Tigers have a history of this. Melbourne did the same with Watts early days. The expectation for a young high draft pick to be the saviour for their success starved club actually is to the detriment of certain players' development.

Good reason why we are highly regarded by the AFL world for our careful development of these kids, which in turn now makes us a great destination club for a potential draftee maximise his potential!

Geez that's a good post! You've hit the nail right on the head and yes Tambling did have some serious underdeveloped skill.

If he can develop into a Josh Caddy type who can kick goals that would be terrific, but im not really sure what we need to get us another flag i thought we were a shoe in (maybe i was arrogant?) im actually terrified of making another GF watching us lose another :(
Easy to understand. We got carried away with the euphoria of making it there and avoiding GWS, but the problems and cracks were there for all to see. We just chose to believe that we the imperfections and blemishes would not play a part. They did.Big time. Three players were well and truly underdone and/or still carrying injuries in McVeigh,Mills and Tippett. Naismith, Buddy, Parker and Kennedy were carrying injuries. McGlynn and XR were always fringe 22 players in 2016 - one in the last year of his career and the other in a new position which had saved his career. Do not fear losing another GF. Welcome the opportunity, and understand how and why it happened. We can blame a lack of leg speed - but I believe that if we'd had our best 22 on the paddock and they had all been cherry ripe, then you would not have seen us lose. We got so close and yet we carried so many injured and under done players.

Ditto all of this. Not arrogant just as I expected our top half dozen would turn up play their best and we would have to many weapons for them. What I didn't count on was their 22 all contributing and us leaving to much to very few.
Not sure that all the dogs turned up. But certainly we had more passengers than they did - and some of them were our supposed A and B graders.

The Bulldogs (and GWS in the QF) beat us for hardness, pace and skill. So we need those to win
Reckon we generally matched the dogs with hardness. Pace really did not hurt us until the last ten minutes when we threw in the towel. Skill hurt us all day. Our turnovers and some of their players clinical use - such as Bontempelli. But they had their share of butchers of the ball as well. It was just such a close contest all day that it was very even - although someone whispered to me that a couple of umpiring decisions really impacted the game, because it was so damn close in every other facet. But that's just rumour mongering and salting a still weeping sore.

Geez that's a good post! You've hit the nail right on the head and yes Tambling did have some serious underdeveloped skill.

That's right Mick! We've all watched kids play footy & we all have an idea which of them can kick beautifully on their left or right, which have a lack of consideration for their well being & which have match winning qualities. In turn we have all had have an inkling that if these kids continue the steady learning curve with good coaching, "they will be stars in the AFL"! I'm sure many of you have heard that plenty of times on the sidelines, watching your kid play in the Under 14's alongside a sprinkling of "potential future superstars"!

Well Tambling didn't get through all his junior years to then become a top 5 pick only to lose all that talent. He literally had someone put a wall up in front of him that he had no chance what so ever of climbing over because it was made too high too soon.

On the subject of Tom Mitchell, I can tell everyone that money was not the key factor for him wanting to come home though it helped. Salary cap squeeze was DEFINITELY not the reason we didn't sign him as Tom was always coming home for other reasons, family being the most important.
He'll be a gun for the Hawks but we will also be regular contenders as we go forward. It will end up a win/win for both us & Tom!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back