List Mgmt. 2016 Trade and Free Agency Targets Inner Sanctum Thread. Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
campaigner there were plenty of us. That would be like a Richmond supporter saying "Who was the idiot that suggested we consider Armitage?". Motlop had a huge year last year, underwhelming this year though obviously.
Ease up champ. Someone suggested it a few weeks ago in the other thread. Something about some issues at the cattery and X Factor Bullshit.

Can't get a decent coffee up there

Bar Coluzzi in Darlinghurst has awesome espresso. It's like Pellegrini's in Melbourne it's been there for event but does proper coffee.

Bar Coluzzi in Darlinghurst has awesome espresso. It's like Pellegrini's in Melbourne it's been there for event but does proper coffee.
Don't tell Tom or he won't come to the Saints

Swans had to pay Mitchell a bucket load so he would nominate them under father son rules. I can't recall the exact contract however it was something like 500k a year.
Can't do that, rookie contract is mandated 2 years and mandated remuneration. Can renegotiate after the first year but no club in the league would pay $2mill for an untried rookie.

He's worth more than what Syd could pay him, let the kid get what he's worth

FWIW, a few mentioning Mitchell went to Swans on 500k or whatever, possibly to intice him as a father son pick... I didn't realise they could do that. Thought all base wages for first year players were the same (or very similar bar rookies) and match payments differed.

He would have started on standard wage. This is his 5th year at the Swans though and so after the initial period was probably on the $500K.

Rhys was a great guy and I genuinely hope he does well, but tonight also showed why he was let go for a top 20 pick.
Yeah hard to judge him as big guys do take longer. But he has had 6 yrs of a few good games followed by a few crap games.
Always gonna be a good handy big bloke with pace but never a great player. I dont really miss him but good luck to the bloke.
He didnt walk, we traded him. So i cant begrudge him if he does eventually have real succsess.

When that trade went through, all I could think was this is a brilliant move or a very poor one.... in hindsight. Brilliant!

With all due respect we do have to see how our part of the trade works out before we celebrate, but I must admit I'm pretty bullish about Hughy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was having a look at that mock draft that the Bulldogs campaigner bumped (because what else do you the night before a prelim final?), and one name stuck out a bit: Sam Durdin.

Pick 16 in 2014, the third KPD selected after Marchbank and Lever, just ahead of Goddard. 198cm, 94 kg. Looking at Inside Football's player ratings, he missed the second half of 2015 with a shoulder injury, and North have tried to turn him into a forward this year with limited success. I don't really know how he plays, at his size he might be a little too similar to Goddard and Carlisle. But, he's out of contract, and hasn't been given a single chance at AFL level.

Not that I am advocating it, but this would be the time to BUY him. Cheap Cheap.

He is only cheap if he can do the job.

A no thank you from me.

In the last part of the game against the Hawks he almost twice lost the game for them by going for ridiculous attempts on goal rather than just ensuring that the Hawks did not gain possession. He seems to be a pure instinct player. I would rather go with a smart team player.

I was having a look at that mock draft that the Bulldogs campaigner bumped (because what else do you the night before a prelim final?), and one name stuck out a bit: Sam Durdin.

Pick 16 in 2014, the third KPD selected after Marchbank and Lever, just ahead of Goddard. 198cm, 94 kg. Looking at Inside Football's player ratings, he missed the second half of 2015 with a shoulder injury, and North have tried to turn him into a forward this year with limited success. I don't really know how he plays, at his size he might be a little too similar to Goddard and Carlisle. But, he's out of contract, and hasn't been given a single chance at AFL level.
Good eye, reckon he's worth putting some feelers out to

Hes not resigned? I wonder why... Is he looking for a link back home to S.A., a little home sick maybe. There doesnt really seem like another reason for it, unless he is pissed he hasn't had a go at AFL level.

I like him in his draft year, really good hands, really athletic, moves and kicks well from memory. He is a bit same samey with Carlisle, but is slimmer and more of a runner than HugoG... Nice pick!

He would have to want to leave though, North look to be ready for a full rebuild and would want to retain all younger players for talent.

Wait. Someone STILL wants Motlop?! Jeepers...
Im with you... absolute spud. One of the biggest downhill skiers to grace the AFL.
Another poster mentioned nows the time to buy 'cheap' I would hate to see him take anyones spot. Wouldn't even want the hack if it didnt count against the cap. It honestly surprises me that the shadow jumper is in the AFL. Scared is his middle name

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

He modelled his game on Jake Carlisle...

Really good hands. Can kick a mongrel or two

On the AFL website Damian Barrett whom i don't have much respect for and usually is laying the boot into us has said on his Sliding Doors column about St Kilda. "IF there's one club positioning itself nicely for a big trade period THEN it is this one. Watch this space."
Is this just about the possible trades for and of Steele and Longer or is there new scuttlebutt i'm not aware of.
With Motlop i can concede that he has talent but i don't see where he fits into our team, our young kids coming through have his role covered.
Also if Sydney were to go on and win the flag, do you think Tom Mitchell would be likely to pay attention to an offer we may throw at him?

Here is one article on Mitchell and his contract from back in 2011, saying that he had GWS offering him $1mil or more when he was just 17yo. https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2016-trade-and-free-agency-targets-part-3.1146274/page-34

No wonder he's not particularly impressed by Sydney's current reported offer of around $380K PA!

As for those comparing him to Seb, a look at their respective stats for this year shows that Mitchell is averaging over 50% more contested possessions per game than Seb. He handballs a fair bit more than Seb, yet goes at a considerably lower DE.

Last edited:
As for those comparing him to Seb, a look at their respective stats for this year shows that Mitchell is averaging over 50% more contested possessions per game than Seb. He handballs a fair bit more than Seb, yet goes at a considerably lower DE.

Its a good point this, but I think its because Seb has improved on the outside so much this year, not because Mitchell is a better inside player (he is, but only a little bit).

And IMO this is a club wide push to turn every midfielder we have into and inside/outside player. Spud Frawley mentioned this during the Brisbane game and my ears pricked up and took notice. I think Richo has Adam Kingsley doing this to all our young mids. Its the reason both Billings and Dunstan have slowed in there progress, but both will be so much better in the long run, it just takes time to build the engine to do this. Imagine us being able to use any combination of Ross, Stevens, Arces, The Gresh, Billings, Dunstan, Newnes and Armo at any time through the midfield. It makes you so much more flexible!

This is not to say that we are creating clones, I just think Kingsley is busy trying to work out what each player can do (that is uniquely them) which is outside of there current game. i.e. Seb now plays on and fakes kicks a lot, while trusting his foot passing more.

As for who we draft/trade in, I think this will be affected by this agenda. This is why I want Steele, I think he has the talent to do both, as does Weller (only more outside than inside). Mitchell plays only inside, he would be a great get... and we need more inside grunt, but only because we are making our players do more roles.

Why does Mitchell want to leave?

They've offered him under $380k a year.
That's the money I'd pay a player like Gaff..
Mitchell's final's series has elevated his status, & I'm curious if he's the player who's prodded our club to finally open the war chest in recent days..
One or two of Martin, Rockliff, Tomlinson, or Mitchell will be in the RWB next year..

Tomlinson & Mitchell haven't been discussed as a pair as possible Saint's player's next, though the thought of that pair & Carlisle in our best 22 gets the juices flowing..
It was Hawthorn last year who looked to backdoor us by attempting to scuttle the Saints/Carlisle trade..
Considering both are out of contract, Sydney & GWS would accept this year's & next for Mitchell & Tomlinson..

I expect Hawthorn will struggle to satisfy GC with a suitable trade for O'Meara, likely to squeeze them out of the equation for Mitchell.
And for the St.KFC to backdoor Hawthorn, finally squaring up over the late Friday night trade of Russell Greene for Mark Scott & Tony King some 35 yrs back........ :rolleyes::rolleyes: I do hold a grudge..!!
Longer will see us with a pick in the late teens or early 20's coming back, unless part of the Martin trade if that does eventuate..

Damian Barrett on Footy Classified Monday night, might be worth catching..

PS: Have been on a 36hr bender so your advised to ignore the above..

On the AFL website Damian Barrett whom i don't have much respect for and usually is laying the boot into us has said on his Sliding Doors column about St Kilda. "IF there's one club positioning itself nicely for a big trade period THEN it is this one. Watch this space."
Is this just about the possible trades for and of Steele and Longer or is there new scuttlebutt i'm not aware of.
With Motlop i can concede that he has talent but i don't see where he fits into our team, our young kids coming through have his role covered.
Also if Sydney were to go on and win the flag, do you think Tom Mitchell would be likely to pay attention to an offer we may throw at him?
Barrett is alluding to players who are considered A graders..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back