B: Tiea Miles ~ Kurt Heatherley ~ Harry Morrison
HB: Connor Glass ~ Connor Nash ~ Grant Birchall
W: Dallas Willsmore ~ Jon O'Rourke ~ Billy Hartung
HF: Blake Hardwick ~ Ryan Schoenmakers ~ Tim O'Brien
F: Oliver Hanrahan ~ Jack Fitzpatrick ~ Luke Surman
Foll: Mark Pittonet ~ Kade Stewart ~ Will Langford
Inter: Mitchell Lewis ~ James Cousins ~
Is the last I/C spot for Hodge?

I keep reading opposition fans say that we have no depth.

I reckon that's bullshit and wishful thinking on their behalf.

Here's how our Best 22 could look and by extension how a Box Hill side could run out with our true depth players bolded(yes, I have Birchall at Box Hill as I thought he fell off a cliff near the end of the year).

Hawthorn:
B: Taylor Duryea ~ James Frawley ~ Josh Gibson
HB: Shaun Burgoyne ~ Ryan Burton ~ Ben Stratton
W: Brendan Whitecross ~ Liam Shiels ~ Isaac Smith
HF: Luke Bruest ~ Jack Gunston ~ James Sicily
F: Cyril Rioli ~ Jarryd Roughead(c) ~ Tyrone Vickery
Foll: Ben McEvoy ~ Jaeger O'Meara ~ Tom Mitchell
I/C: ~ Paul Puopulo ~ Kieran Lovell ~ Kaiden Brand
Emg: Langford, Birchall, O'Brien, Hartung

Box Hill:
Foll: Mark Pittonet ~ Kade Stewart ~ Will Langford
Inter: Mitchell Lewis ~ James Cousins ~

They look bloody good, don't they.
Yes, with a bit of luck I think we could be very scary in 2017.

Is the last I/C spot for Hodge?
Good get.

I had been playing about with what our side could look like in 2018 and forgot to re-add Hodge before posting.

Here's how our Best 22 could look and by extension how a Box Hill side could run out with our true depth players bolded(yes, I have Birchall at Box Hill as I thought he fell off a cliff near the end of the year).

Hawthorn:
I/C: ~ Paul Puopulo ~ Luke Hodge ~ Kaiden Brand

Box Hill:
Foll: Mark Pittonet ~ Kieran Lovell ~ Will Langford
Inter: Mitchell Lewis ~ James Cousins ~ Kade Stewart

You still only have 3 players on each interchange bench.

I've thought we would struggle not to go backwards next year but a healthy Roughead changes the picture entirely. I think we can now field a side in 2017 with an awesome forward line and a very good defence. The question remains the lack of elite midfielders and midfield depth (will O'Meara and Roughy be fit enough to play midfield?). If O'Meara and Roughead are fit to go, we can actually improve in 2017.

Hawthorn:
I/C: ~ Paul Puopulo ~ Luke Hodge ~ Kaiden Brand

Box Hill:
Foll: Mark Pittonet ~ Kieran Lovell ~ Will Langford
Inter: Mitchell Lewis ~ James Cousins ~ Kade Stewart

I'd probably bold Miles & Hardwick as well.

You still only have 3 players on each interchange bench.
Another good get.

Lovell goes back to the Senior team, Stewart moves to starting Box Hill midfield.

I'd probably bold Miles & Hardwick as well.
Very bullish about both, but I think they might have a few teammates ahead of them for specific roles at this stage.

Would love to see them both in the 22 though.

It's really hard to see any of the kids outside of Burton get a lot of senior footy if we remain healthy, they would need to replace a Whitey or Hartung or Doc and I just can't see it happening especially looking at everyone's best 22 here.

The most comedic thing going around is the question on our depth, we bat bloody deep. Guys like Stewart,Lovell,Langford,Howe etc would be walk up starts in half of the leagues 22.

Gaining more confidence as the days go, seeing JOM and ruffnut having a trouble free pre season and playing would spell danger for everyone.

It's really hard to see any of the kids outside of Burton get a lot of senior footy if we remain healthy, they would need to replace a Whitey or Hartung or Doc and I just can't see it happening especially looking at everyone's best 22 here.

The most comedic thing going around is the question on our depth, we bat bloody deep. Guys like Stewart,Lovell,Langford,Howe etc would be walk up starts in half of the leagues 22.

Gaining more confidence as the days go, seeing JOM and ruffnut having a trouble free pre season and playing would spell danger for everyone.

If Doc and Hartung continue to plateau on their 2016 form then I would say both of their spots are very much up for grabs. Love Doc - but he didn't build off his late 2015 form. if Hartung doesn't own Hill's own spot, then I would happily see him lose it to Lovell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to think that every spot is up for grabs with enough work. We can't transition if we're carrying protected species. You would think that some room will need to be made in order for new/young guys to get the playtime needed to jell a team. With Roughie out that was an easier strategy to follow. With him back, though, and the dynamic quality he ads to our forward line then the thinking on how much winning you're willing to sacrifice in order to build a new core becomes more difficult.

Apart from Langford, who has been struggling, you're talking about guys who are basically untried in the AFL being starters in the best 22 of half the league? I don't think we bat quite as deep as you're suggesting.

Apart from Langford, who has been struggling, you're talking about guys who are basically untried in the AFL being starters in the best 22 of half the league? I don't think we bat quite as deep as you're suggesting.
True, they're untried and would struggle against the GWS/Sydney of the league.

But would get games in "half the clubs in the comp"......the bottom half.

True, they're untried and would struggle against the GWS/Sydney of the league.

But would get games in "half the clubs in the comp"......the bottom half.
Hard to tell until they actually play a decent number of games at AFL level. I know I'd like them to come in and smash it, but until they get a few games under their belts, they remain unknown quantities for mine.

Hard to tell until they actually play a decent number of games at AFL level. I know I'd like them to come in and smash it, but until they get a few games under their belts, they remain unknown quantities for mine.

Unknown for our standards as a footy club, I'm confident all those guys would have decent roles at inferior clubs.

I've thought we would struggle not to go backwards next year but a healthy Roughead changes the picture entirely.
Agree 100%. It feels like we have another great recruit. The inclusion of JOM, Titch and Rough will make up for the loss of Lewis and Mitchell in the long run. I think we'll be a marginally better side in 2017 than we are now, and then a much better side in 2018 after we hit FA at the end of next year.

It will be interesting to see how a healthy Roughead affects the role Burton plays. I'd say a forward line with Roughead and Vickery as the gorillas, Gunston as the mobile tall and Bruest, Rioli and Puopolo as the smalls will be the preferred forward 6. Then there is Sicily. Obviously players rotate in and out of other positions but it is difficult to see a regular forward role for Burton.

Will be very interesting to see how they use him. I think he will play the year off half back where he looked most comfortable this year.

My best 22 is (age at start of season in brackets):

B: Stratton(28) Frawley(28) Gibson(33)
HB: Burgoyne(34) Burton(20) Birchall(29)
C: Hartung(22) T.Mitchell(23) Smith(28)
HF: Gunston(25) Roughead(30) Breust(26)
F: Rioli(27) Vickery(26) Puopolo(29)
R: McEvoy(27) O'Meara(23) Shiels(25)

INT: Hodge(32) Sicily(22) Howe(21) Langford(24)

DEPTH:

Backs: Brand(22) Whitecross(27) Duryea(25) Heatherley(22) Miles(20) Glass(19) Morrison (18)
Midfielders: O'Rourke(22) Stewart(20) Lovell(19)
Forwards: Schoenmakers(26) O'Brien(23) Hardwick(20) Lewis (18)
Rucks: Pittonet(20) Fitzpatrick(25) Ceglar(26)

It will be interesting to see how a healthy Roughead affects the role Burton plays. I'd say a forward line with Roughead and Vickery as the gorillas, Gunston as the mobile tall and Bruest, Rioli and Puopolo as the smalls will be the preferred forward 6. Then there is Sicily. Obviously players rotate in and out of other positions but it is difficult to see a regular forward role for Burton.

Will be very interesting to see how they use him. I think he will play the year off half back where he looked most comfortable this year.

My best 22 is (age at start of season in brackets):

B: Stratton(28) Frawley(28) Gibson(33)
HB: Burgoyne(34) Burton(20) Birchall(29)
C: Hartung(22) T.Mitchell(23) Smith(28)
HF: Gunston(25) Roughead(30) Breust(26)
F: Rioli(27) Vickery(26) Puopolo(29)
R: McEvoy(27) O'Meara(23) Shiels(25)

INT: Hodge(32) Sicily(22) Howe(21) Langford(24)

DEPTH:

Backs: Brand(22) Whitecross(27) Duryea(25) Heatherley(22) Miles(20) Glass(19) Morrison (18)
Midfielders: O'Rourke(22) Stewart(20) Lovell(19)
Forwards: Schoenmakers(26) O'Brien(23) Hardwick(20) Lewis (18)
Rucks: Pittonet(20) Fitzpatrick(25) Ceglar(26)

WhiteX is so best 22 it's not funny

Looking at these teams we'd be certain favourites if we kept Lewis and Mitchell on the list, but you can also see that adding two starters in Mitchell and O'Meara without making space for them would have left blokes like Langford, O'Rourke, Howe, Lovell, Stewart and Hartung disgruntled as they are ready to take the next step.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back