List Mgmt. 2018 NAB AFL Draft: November 22nd & 23rd

Who would you prefer with our first selection?

• Max King

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Bailey Smith

Votes: 47 19.7%
  • Connor Rozee

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • Jye Caldwell

Votes: 37 15.5%
  • Unknown Smokey?

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Jack Lukosious

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Isak Rankine

Votes: 72 30.1%
  • Ben King

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Sam Walsh

Votes: 13 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t know if this has been posted, but just going through different articles to see if there are any decent outside midfielders further down the list if we trade 4.
Came across Knightmares take on Max King, his weaknesses must be a worry.

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...e-power-rankings-unheralded-trio-break-top-20

5. Max King (VIC)
Best position:
Key forward/ruckman
Height, weight: 202cm, 85kg
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Projected draft range: 2-10
Plays like: Joe Daniher
Rationale: Out for the season with a torn ACL. As difficult to defend inside 50m as any junior key forward in recent years.
August Ranking: 5
Strengths:
Height
Long arms
Takes front position in marking contests
Body positioning in the contest
Draws free kicks inside 50m
Jumps towards the ball when taking marks
Contested marking
One-on-one marking
Marks at the highest point
Clean at ground level
Leap
Mobility
Leading patterns
Weaknesses:
Endurance
Work rate
Rarely pushes up outside the forward 50m arc
Conversion in front of goal

So...he’s rarely outside the forward 50, but when we kick it long to him his conversion in front of goal is a worry.

Sounds exactly what we need -
a premium, stay at home forward who can’t kick goals. o_O

Better off after. Upheaval a week out would have done us no favours...
I'm of the opposite opinion on this one. I believe it would have been a relief valve to get things moving. So many good moves off field already.

Rumours still bubbling around of sacking prior to Xmas.
15xmkhx.jpg

He'd be playing at Sandy if we kept trying to play him as a forward too.

Marshall is only 22 and looked okay when he played in the ruck. Most ruck don't start showing a lot until 25 or so. It's worth a crack and I'd be very surprised if it didn't happen.

I think Longer gets first crack, Marshall looks ideal as a ruck/ forward more than a full time ruck. It's a big jump up. He looks more Lobb than Gawn.

Best available. Simples.

That worries me, I don't think we are very good at talent identification. We keep saying we will trade down because we see something that others don't while everyone else is trading up. Surely that's a worry to even a guy who walks around in a positivity sphere. The same people thought Paddy was the best player in the draft.

I'm on the target Rozee train now.

At worst he's another Billings and at best he's likely to be a real star. Best part is if the SA clubs don't trade with us in that case they don't get what they want. ;)

I'm on the target Rozee train now.

At worst he's another Billings and at best he's likely to be a real star. Best part is if the SA clubs don't trade with us in that case they don't get what they want. ;)

I actually reckon at worst he's Dan Mc Kenzie, best case he's a bit of a Pendlebury high IQ reader of the game type. He's got a great intercept game more than anything so would make a good defender and probably still doesn't get enough footy for full on midfield roles. Build a tank and the smarts could make him special. Not as definite as some but plenty of upside.

I actually reckon at worst he's Dan Mc Kenzie, best case he's a bit of a Pendlebury high IQ reader of the game type. He's got a great intercept game more than anything so would make a good defender and probably still doesn't get enough footy for full on midfield roles. Build a tank and the smarts could make him special. Not as definite as some but plenty of upside.

Cal Twomey on McKenzie in 2014:

(26) Daniel McKenzie
POS: Midfielder
Ht 183cm, Wt 77kg, DOB 17/5/96
From Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro

McKenzie's a player who occasionally surprises, his main trick being his marking. For a midfielder and flanker, he is a very accomplished overhead mark, and teammates kick the ball to him knowing he'll do the rest. Plenty of McKenzie's best work comes because of his top-notch athleticism: at the draft combine he recorded brilliant jumping, speed, power and endurance results. All of that comes through in McKenzie's footy; he often takes a grab and then sprints off and away from an opponent. McKenzie's finish to the season – he was almost best afield in the TAC Cup Grand Final for the Oakleigh Chargers – underlined his versatility and talent.

On Rozee now:

(7) Connor Rozee
POS: Half-forward/midfielder
Ht 185cm, Wt 71kg, DOB 22/1/00
From North Adelaide/South Australia

Rozee's end to the season thrust him right back among the best players available this year. The 18-year-old played in North Adelaide's senior SANFL premiership, and was a key player throughout the finals off half-back, before blitzing at the Combine. Everyone knew Rozee was powerful, quick and had a leap on him, and he showed that during testing, ranking in the top 10 for the standing and running vertical jumps, second in the sprint (2.91 seconds) and in the top 10 for the agility. He can play in all three parts of the ground and has some star factor to him.

That's actually a pretty good comparison there Gringo. Rozee seems to have similar attributes but a higher ceiling to McKenzie.

I can’t help but think Rozee is gonna be this years Bont, Oliver or Taranto. A club will take a punt on him higher than expected & he’ll be the best from the draft. Just looks to have so many weapons that will translate into senior afl footy. Love the extra toe & lateral movement he shows in his highlights, getting in & around traffic. Good skills & really sticky Hunter Clark like hands.

I really hope we don’t play it safe this year & go someone a little bit unconventional. MKing, Rankine or Rozee & I’ll be stoked. Please no safe pick like Bailey Smith.

To clarify.

Best available based on how the club ranks them.

It's a gamble whoever you pick.

Also, take concussions out of the equation and Paddy is a different player.

In terms of risk, I don't believe we have added enough known quantity through trades to roll the dice just yet. IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To clarify.

In terms of risk, I don't believe we have added enough known quantity through trades to roll the dice just yet. IMO.

Probably not a modern footballer either though, he's an old school KPF who doesn't have a great deal of speed or mobility. Hawkins is probably the closest to him in the AFL and has more size to him and seems quicker off the mark. If you are a stagnant forward who doesn't really have a defensive game you have to contribute a lot of score o make up for it or you become a liability. He's got time still to do that but it's running out. I think with risk more he means a bit more X factor not get someone rated at 30 at 4. Smith is a decent player but looks a safe player, doesn't seem to have a huge ceiling but you know he'll be good. Then again same could be said for Selwood.

I like Smith. Big wraps on him... exactly what we need too. Pacey aswell yeah?. If we keep 4 we should take him I think.

As I said I'm on the Rozee bandwagon now because he looks exciting and it would upset the SA clubs. But I would be very happy with Smith.

They say King may have been pick 1 before injury, same thing can be said for Smith.

Sorry mate, probably badly worded. I was hypothesizing Bruce or Marshall back. Paddy fwd or not at all. Could be really good as a stay at home fwd on their 2nd best defender

They play the defender on the forward not the other way round.
If the second best defender is on him and he's really good they will likely put their best defender on him.

How many defenders in the AFL are 204cm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They dont need to be 204cm but the kid that was playing on him in that link looked like he would have been hard pushed to be 190 cm

As I said I'm on the Rozee bandwagon now because he looks exciting and it would upset the SA clubs. But I would be very happy with Smith.

They say King may have been pick 1 before injury, same thing can be said for Smith.
Rozee looks great too I agree.

I get a real hard-worker vibe from Smith. Just seems that it may work in our favour if he falls outside the top 3 as he is exactly what we need. Sandringham boy too.

To clarify.

Yes, I agree, best available.

Some say we should go a mid cos we have too many key forwards. What if the key forwards we have aren’t up to it? :think:

I still reckon the real order should probably be Rankine, Luko, Walsh, M. King, Blakey, King, Rozee, Smith, Hately, Caldwell and probably try to fit Hill in the top 10 too. Teams rate them differently for risk etc. Not heaps between 5 and 12 or so though.

Can't really go wrong with any of the top 7 IMO. Any of them would be a win. It's just upto the club to get the best out of them.

I hope we can get Ely Smith with one of our later picks. He is a solid unit who looks capable of playing day 1. Not overly flashy just does everything right. Contested beast with a good leap.
Would give Sincs some competition in the calf department.

Anyone heard how Thomas Berry is tracking,supposed to be a bull, possible later pick.
Also Jack Bytel, your not a co captain of your TAC team if your a dud, not sure but think I read he had a bit of trouble with his back through the season, if comes good might be another good pick later.

I think Longer gets first crack, Marshall looks ideal as a ruck/ forward more than a full time ruck. It's a big jump up. He looks more Lobb than Gawn.
I'm not suggesting he will play round one in the seniors in that position, I'm saying that they will look at turning him into stuck which will take time in the VFL where he will most likely be anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back