List Mgmt. 2018 NAB AFL Draft: November 22nd & 23rd

Who would you prefer with our first selection?

• Max King

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Bailey Smith

Votes: 47 19.7%
  • Connor Rozee

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • Jye Caldwell

Votes: 37 15.5%
  • Unknown Smokey?

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Jack Lukosious

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Isak Rankine

Votes: 72 30.1%
  • Ben King

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Sam Walsh

Votes: 13 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumour is Crows are desperate to take Lukosious..

Crows hold dees 1st rounder and carltons 2nd rounder.

I'm not saying the crows would agree to the following trade, but it would have to be in our favour to part with pick 2..

Saints pick 2 and 56
Crows pick 15, 16, 19

Points wise it's about 400 points in our favour which is the equivalent of a 3rd rounder. If give the crows our 3rd rounder next year if needed.

Gives us 3 stabs at the top 20 kids in the country, which to be honest I'd prefer given our last 2 top picks in Mccartin and billings have not produced stars (yet!)
Nice Punter! Could you possibly churn out the average player ratings by draft pick for current listed players? Big job maybe so if it's too much then don't bother, but it would show the average net value at least and shed light on the trade down proposition.

I'm not saying the crows would agree to the following trade, but it would have to be in our favour to part with pick 2..

Saints pick 2 and 56
Crows pick 15, 16, 19

Points wise it's about 400 points in our favour which is the equivalent of a 3rd rounder. If give the crows our 3rd rounder next year if needed.

Gives us 3 stabs at the top 20 kids in the country, which to be honest I'd prefer given our last 2 top picks in Mccartin and billings have not produced stars (yet!)

I am a no if there is one or two absolute stars in the draft. We have enough nice players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm gonna make an early prediction that Max King is going to drift to the late teens. With the ACL and stay at home big forwards going out of vogue, I can see a club landing and absolute bargain with that one.

What’s the story ? If we end up having pick 1 to 3 , is there a certainty that we should pick or is it too early to tell at the moment ?

Go Saints

Lots to consider, Lukosious is the best tall forward, Walsh the best pure mid and Rankine the most “X-Factor.”

At the start of the year you would’ve thought Rankine was a clear best fit for us, but this season has added more question marks to our list so it’s hard to pick now.

I'm gonna make an early prediction that Max King is going to drift to the late teens. With the ACL and stay at home big forwards going out of vogue, I can see a club landing and absolute bargain with that one.

Agree - can he ruck?
If so, that adds immensely to his value.
He could play that 2nd fwd/2nd ruck role like we have tried with Bruce

Despite the Saints' horrid start to the year, new footy boss Simon Lethlean is aggressively positioning the club to make plays at several free agents at the end of the year, with Lynch’s teammate Sloane and West Coast star Andrew Gaff at the top of the hit list.

The Saints know, however, that three or four players in Lynch’s price range (approximately $600,000 a season) may be better options if they miss out on the likes of Sloane and Gaff, who are both tipped to stay at their interstate clubs.

Despite the Saints' horrid start to the year, new footy boss Simon Lethlean is aggressively positioning the club to make plays at several free agents at the end of the year, with Lynch’s teammate Sloane and West Coast star Andrew Gaff at the top of the hit list.

The Saints know, however, that three or four players in Lynch’s price range (approximately $600,000 a season) may be better options if they miss out on the likes of Sloane and Gaff, who are both tipped to stay at their interstate clubs.

I think we just have to land someone to improve the list and give the supporters back some hope. Plus we have the cap room and need to spend it!

Not costing a draft pick is also a positive.

To be honest, if we were to land a gaff and then traded Steven for a top 10 pick, it might not be the worst result as gaff could be there for the next flag whereas Steven is circa 29? (Hurts me to say that)

Saints pick 2 and 56
Crows pick 15, 16, 19

If crows can turn that into two top 10 picks then yes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about Tom McDonald from the Dees. He’S a swingman who does an above average job either forward or back and would cost a lot less then say Lynch from Gold Coast?

Saints pick 2 and 56
Crows pick 15, 16, 19

I hate it, Chris Pelican special. You don't dilute the picks, we lack top end talent and having another three average joes sounds awful. We would * all three up and watch the top talent be instant elite.

I hate it, Chris Pelican special. You don't dilute the picks, we lack top end talent and having another three average joes sounds awful. We would **** all three up and watch the top talent be instant elite.
I understand that we need top end talent, but we also have to accept that one player won’t fix our issues and we have one pick in the top 50.

I’m not saying we do it, but it’s definitely worth a look when we are closer to the draft and know what players will be available at those picks. They say the top 15 are all quality atm.

You’ve also got to realise that not every great player is picked in the top 5.

I think we just have to land someone to improve the list and give the supporters back some hope. Plus we have the cap room and need to spend it!

Not costing a draft pick is also a positive.

To be honest, if we were to land a gaff and then traded Steven for a top 10 pick, it might not be the worst result as gaff could be there for the next flag whereas Steven is circa 29? (Hurts me to say that)

Only a club just off contention would want Stuv so you would not be getting a top 10 pick. We would be a guaranteed bottom 4 side for while with Stuv gone. Might as well go full rebuild at that point and not bother getting in FAs.

I understand that we need top end talent, but we also have to accept that one player won’t fix our issues and we have one pick in the top 50.

I’m not saying we do it, but it’s definitely worth a look when we are closer to the draft and know what players will be available at those picks. They say the top 15 are all quality atm.

You’ve also got to realise that not every great player is picked in the top 5.

There used to be a percentage scale with the likelihood of picking a star and the top 12 or so was where most came from then as it went back over pick 25 it was very low, outside the 30s it was ridiculously unlikely. We can't * this pick up and if it's going to be great outside the teens then no one will want to swap for ours. We have been great at swapping our players and picks for perceived value but not very good at actually nailing picks. I would put all our energy in working out the best player and using it then going around FAs with a bulging cheque book. It's not hard if you don't distract yourself trying to win at the trade table and focus on the important stuff.

Like I said - our recent track record with top 3 picks has been dubious and to be fair the last 3-4 drafts the top 3 picks are not exactly dominating the comp...?

Why not have 3 stabs at the top 20 kids in the country?

I'll sure you'll agree that 'stars' don't necessarily come from the top 3 picks in recent times. But hey, stay obsessed with that idea if you wish. Id rather 3 cracks at landing a gun than 1 top pick. And if we do go.to the draft with pick 2, imagine the pressure on the kid before he's even played a game. It will be disastrous!

E.g.
Fyfe (20)
Sloane (44)
Dangerfield (10)
Parker (40)
Hanneberry (30)
Zorko (zone selection, overlooked in national draft)
Beams (29)
Adams (13)
Sidebottom (11)
Cripps (13)
Merret (26)
Neale (58)
Rance (18)
Jack Steven (42)
Robbie Gray (55)
Yep agree totally, need to speak to Adelaide .Heaps of vanilla one paced half back flankers after top 10.

There used to be a percentage scale with the likelihood of picking a star and the top 12 or so was where most came from then as it went back over pick 25 it was very low, outside the 30s it was ridiculously unlikely. We can't **** this pick up and if it's going to be great outside the teens then no one will want to swap for ours. We have been great at swapping our players and picks for perceived value but not very good at actually nailing picks. I would put all our energy in working out the best player and using it then going around FAs with a bulging cheque book. It's not hard if you don't distract yourself trying to win at the trade table and focus on the important stuff.
Couldn't care less about winning on the trade table, I'm more worried about bringing in as many quality kids to improve our list as possible.

All well and good to say nail pick 2 and just bring in a FA. How has that been going for us? Gresham is playing better football than Billings and Paddy and as far as I can see we've been unable to bring in any free agents, don't see how us dropping down the ladder is going to help that.

If Libba genuinely thinks he can get three quality kids in the top 19 it's obviously worth considering.

It's a fair question, lots of posters just want to get outraged Baz, don't worry about them.

It’s actually a misinformed question because Clark & Coffield have been midfielder their entire junior career.

Clark spent one season as a half back before going back into the midfield for his top age year. He played a mix of HB & mid during the champs & was popped on a HBF for the AA tweak.

Coff played forward, mid & back last season.

But as we’ve seen recently, facts don’t matter when you’ve got an axe to grind.

It’s actually a misinformed question because Clark & Coffield have been midfielder their entire junior career.

Clark spent one season as a half back before going back into the midfield for his top age year. He played a mix of HB & mid during the champs & was popped on a HBF for the AA tweak.

Coff played forward, mid & back last season.

But as we’ve seen recently, facts don’t matter when you’ve got an axe to grind.

Don't talk sense W2L

The reality is anyone who is below about 192cm has probably played midfield at some point in their junior or under 18 football.
Unfortunately once they get into St Kilda they get pigeon holed because of our coach.

Don't talk sense W2L

The reality is anyone who is below about 192cm has probably played midfield at some point in their junior or under 18 football.
Unfortunately once they get into St Kilda they get pigeon holed because of our coach.

That’s not true at all the problem is we recruited many guys who can only play midfield and because others have played elsewhere they play elsewhere. Makes complete sense

That’s not true at all the problem is we recruited many guys who can only play midfield and because others have played elsewhere they play elsewhere. Makes complete sense

Completely disagree. Every week after our games this year I can't remember who he is I think he is an Essendon supporter and every week tells us who has lined up on the wing and on the ball and how many times they have done so. I think two weeks ago he said only 4 players started at centre bounces in the game. Now plugger you can tell me that ts the players we've recruited but the coach has to be the one to rotate players onto the ball. I have seen other teams do.

Hawthorn, Sydney, Western Bulldogs all do it at various times Ive seen various young player line up on the ball. Why at this stage have we not seen Coffield or Clark have more time on the ball. The reality is I've explained beofore in a previous post most players who are drafted are devloped to at least play two positions (players under 192cm that is) A forward or back flank and the midfield. The fact that the coach does not give these players the chance to develop into inside midfielders is not the recruiters fault but the selection committee and the coach. How are we suppose to know if these guys are any good as mids if they never get a chance to show if there capable.

Just for your sake since you think its the recruiting ill go through each player recruited since 2011 which is essentially when our rebuild started and categorise what they were drafted as to keep it simple i will only look at guys who are still on the list.

Pick 25 Seb Ross - Inside midifielder
37 Jack Newnes - Half Back Wing
42 Jimmy Webster

24 Nathan Wright Half back/Half Forward

3 Jack Billings - Forward/Mid
18 Luke Dunstan - Mid
19 Blake Acres Fwd/Mid/back

22 McKenzie Hlaf Back/wing
41 Jack Lonie Fwd/Mid

2015 - 18 Gresham Mid /fwd
40 Brandon white wing/def
49 Rice half back