Official Club Stuff 2018 Membership Tally and Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to level 2 blackshadow.

giphy-downsized-large.gif
I'm going next level!

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

The Roy Morgan poll used to, not sure about now, allow for multiple responses and was aimed at getting a person's knowledge of a Club
for future marketing campaigns. The supporter figure is more of a Club awareness figure rather than a supporter figure. The one major anomaly is the Sydney figure of 1,204,000 supporters which I think reflects the NSW people's bias against anything Victorian.

They haven't developed a pair that can take the job on.

Allan Border would be proud. Straight bat. Another dot ball.

BTW: Lols at GWS "175,000" supporters. Unless your definition of suppporters includes "people that wore the colour orange in the last financial year" I think that might be a touch optimistic.

We better hope a fair few people signed up on family day. 30,520 members so far is not a great figure.

Would like to see 35,000 before lets say March 12th .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2017 supporter to membership data

CLUB|SUPPORTERS*|MEMBERS#|SUPPORTERS TO MEMBERS %

\Western Bulldogs|247,000|47,653|19.29%

\Melbourne|229,000|42,233|18.44%

\Port Adelaide|298,000|52,129|17.49%

\Richmond|442,000|72,669|16.44%

\ North Melbourne|263,000|40,343|15.34%

\Hawthorn|528,000|75,663|14.33%

\St Kilda|294,000|42,052|14.30%

\GWS|175,000|20,944|12.00%

\Collingwood|663,000|75,879|11.44%

\Fremantle|459,000|51,254|11.17%

\Gold Coast|106,000|11,665|11.00%

\Carlton|464,000|50,326|10.85%

\Geelong|515,000|54,854|10.65

\Adelaide|541,000|56,865|10.51%

\Essendon|671,000|67,768|10.01%

\West Coast|669,000|65,064|9.73%

\Sydney Swans|1,204,000|58,838|4.89%

\Brisbane Lions|489,000|21,362|4.37%

*Numbers are generated from the Roy Morgan Single Source Australia poll.

# Official AFL figures
Really??? Brisbane almost half a million? Where are they all hiding? Those half a million people ought to contact the Defence Department and offer their expertise and knowledge on concealment. Bugger me, Brisbane Lions supporters could be the biggest cover up since Watergate.

Back on board after a number of years due to a corporate connection with the AFL where i was provided tickets.

Feels great to be on board properly at such an exciting time of our development as a team

There are shitloads of Swans supporters. Most of them follow League and go for the swans cos they live in NSW. If it was a different club that was the first VFL side in Sydney .... I dunno the Colaband Wagonneers or something, then they'd be supporting them instead.

They don't really care.

Got a call from Maj. He got really defensive but kept apologising. I don't think he's really good at it.

Then Sam Durdin took over the phone and kept dropping the handset.

Scotty Thompson got on eventually and said he'd handle it from here.

Few years back got a call from Nathan O'Keefe, asked if it was really him because a teamate's name showed up on caller ID. Line went silent and never heard from him again.

Got a call from MacMillan. Nice bloke. Well spoken. Didn't save me a good load of money. Nor did he offer up much of a good deal on the flip side.
TBH wasn't really sure if he was up to the task or not.
Finally after much debate he was able to point me in the direction of Robbie Tarrant who was much more dependable and sealed the deal.
That wasn't before I got sprayed by Jamie for messing up by membership number.

GWS has 175,000 supporters my arse.

This doesn't surprise me. GWS have visited every school in Western Sydney a number of times, kids go home tell their parents, who decide to follow the Giants. When there is a "wear your footy jumper to school day" at our local school, my son is the only one that wears his AFL jumper, all the other kids are wearing either A-League or NRL jumpers.

This doesn't surprise me. GWS have visited every school in Western Sydney a number of times, kids go home tell their parents, who decide to follow the Giants. When there is a "wear your footy jumper to school day" at our local school, my son is the only one that wears his AFL jumper, all the other kids are wearing either A-League or NRL jumpers.

I fear it will drop to 17.5k once this boom period is over and they will be another 50 year+ yoke on the AFL's shoulders.

It is very easy to accumulate fair weather supporters in NSW, but once the team isn't dominant, the lack of AFL interest in NSW will eventually be felt.

To put it into perspective, our meagre collection of games broadcast into Melbourne gets more viewers than Swans, GWS, GC and Brisbane get in their capital city combined and all their games go free to air. There just isn't a lot of interest in the AFL in the North, the AFL has fudged the numbers by giving them artificial on-field advantages, but we have seen when it is taken away, like in Brisbane, there is cascading failure. Their market is dominated by the Rugby leagues, it is as competitive as trying to put new teams in Melbourne. It has taken us a long time to grow our supporter base for the same reason, we just don't get AFL handouts to artificially lift us up the ladder.

It was a bad call to introduce GWS and GC while the AFL held back so much revenue from the clubs that needed that new broadcasting revenue. This was sold to the club as something that would grow our market share and get much needed games into the gold coast and western Sydney, but GWS have sold half their games to Canberra and GC now selling home games to Port in China. This wasn't the purpose licences were granted to these clubs.

It was a bad call to introduce GWS and GC while the AFL held back so much revenue from the clubs that needed that new broadcasting revenue. This was sold to the club as something that would grow our market share and get much needed games into the gold coast and western Sydney, but GWS have sold half their games to Canberra and GC now selling home games to Port in China. This wasn't the purpose licences were granted to these clubs.
Vlad needed a 'legacy' so he rushed in two clubs in the hardest AFL markets in Australia and paid two non-AFL footballers (Hunt & Folau) rock star pay packets. What a lunatic!

At least he can now sit back in his chesterfield recliner with his smoking jacket on, cigar and cognac in hand and watch his plastic franchises get bumper crowds of 10k along to each home game and be satsified with a job well done!

To put it into perspective, our meagre collection of games broadcast into Melbourne gets more viewers than Swans, GWS, GC and Brisbane get in their capital city combined and all their games go free to air. There just isn't a lot of interest in the AFL in the North, the AFL has fudged the numbers by giving them artificial on-field advantages, but we have seen when it is taken away, like in Brisbane, there is cascading failure. Their market is dominated by the Rugby leagues,

The Lions and Suns don't have a lot of supporters but there is definitely a strong AFL culture in Brisbane. At my school there is 1 NRL guy. There are 2 Collingwood, 2 Essendon, 1 Carlton, 2 Lions and me. Heaps of the parents are AFL people too.

As for kids; it's waaayyyy more soccer and AFL than NRL. For interschool sport we will field 7 AFL teams (grade 5 & 6) and 7 soccer teams.

These numbers are people who don't really follow AFL saying that the Lions/Swans would be their team despite them not going to games and barely watching it on TV either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back