NRL 2018 NRL Grand Final - Storm vs Roosters

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done Roosters Smashed our boys from the 1sQtr.Cam Munster needs to pull his head in and show more Maturity.The Kick was lucky it was not worse and I hope Craig & Cam givie him both barrels.Storm will bounce back but again The Roosters where just 2 good on he night.Cronk was like a Sargent with his troops protecting him.

It was just a gentle tap! :)

Whats the point of having grading if when it doesn't suit they just change the charge? Wonder what even a grade 1 kicking charge brings?

The AFL is no better, plenty of times a brownlow favourite does something that automatically brings a week so they charge them with misconduct instead...

But its a bad look to allow players to kick someone in the head and say oh that's alright, he barely touched him

Incredibly good performance from the boys, very un rooster like in how methodical and clinical we were.
We are generally the side having to absorb the forward dominance rather than creating it. Beat teams ranked 2, 3 and 4 to claim the title, conceded 3 tries all finals.

Unbelievable effort.

Props to Napa for being pictured in the city this morning still in full kit plus footy boots

Disgusting. Just shows that it’s still the NSWRL.
Any reason why the chooks don’t have a salary cap?

You do understand that manly and parra are in dire straits due to the salary cap policing, Cronulla have had sanctions and the dogs famously lost an entire seasons worth of points on the eve of finals due to a breach right? And where are those sides based again?

The roosters lost their highest paid player to bring in Cronk. We actually fielded less ‘bought’ players than the bunnies when we played them. Two years ago we lost the guy who just won the Dally M medal and last year we lost a former DallyM centre of the year and kiwi international to afford Tedesco.
Next year we lose both the third player in history to run 5000m in a season, and our best utility also, to afford Crichton. Why does this never get mentioned when the salary cap garbage is thrown around?

Lot of noise being made in the media about the crowd giving Billy Slater the treatment. What did these sanctimonious media prats expect? After the events of the previous week Billy was always going to get a send off. We live in a free country and people are entitled to a public protest even if it is seen as unsporting by some. I have to say Billy did not let the fans down as he spent a lot of time arguing with the referee and telling him how to do his job. I thought only the Captains could ask questions of the ref and he had a minute to do it? Maybe Billy was made honorary Captain for the night?

I think a lot of the crowd were voicing a protest at the NRL and the judiciary for putting one man above the game. The problem for the NRL is that the next time someone goes up for a similar offence people are going to judge the result by Billy's case and that is really not fair on Billy Slater.

Lot of noise being made in the media about the crowd giving Billy Slater the treatment. What did these sanctimonious media prats expect? After the events of the previous week Billy was always going to get a send off. We live in a free country and people are entitled to a public protest even if it is seen as unsporting by some. I have to say Billy did not let the fans down as he spent a lot of time arguing with the referee and telling him how to do his job. I thought only the Captains could ask questions of the ref and he had a minute to do it? Maybe Billy was made honorary Captain for the night?

I think a lot of the crowd were voicing a protest at the NRL and the judiciary for putting one man above the game. The problem for the NRL is that the next time someone goes up for a similar offence people are going to judge the result by Billy's case and that is really not fair on Billy Slater.

For starters, Billy didn't let Billy off. The judiciary did. I get that you can't really boo the judiciary though.

Secondly, putting one man above the game is perception, not reality.
There is no way in hell he should have been charged let alone suspended. The outraged majority seem to think that any breach of a rule (even though Slater didn't breach any rule - his right hand making initial contact saw to that) suddenly needs to result in suspension. That's tantamount to saying any high tackle should result in a suspension even if it is just a careless slap across the chin as someone changes direction.

For starters, Billy didn't let Billy off. The judiciary did. I get that you can't really boo the judiciary though.

Secondly, putting one man above the game is perception, not reality.
There is no way in hell he should have been charged let alone suspended. The outraged majority seem to think that any breach of a rule (even though Slater didn't breach any rule - his right hand making initial contact saw to that) suddenly needs to result in suspension. That's tantamount to saying any high tackle should result in a suspension even if it is just a careless slap across the chin as someone changes direction.

Where in my post did I say that Billy Slater let Billy Slater off? To say that Slater should not have been charged is absolutely ridiculous he had to be charged, the Ref awarded a penalty and that meant a foul had occurred. Do you actually know anything about the process involved?

It was a shoulder charge and exactly what the rule was bought in to eliminate. No perception about it at all. If that had happened in any other game the player would have had a holiday. His left hand is at his side and never leaves it. His right arms moves up marginally after the point of contact with the left shoulder and you need two arms to lay a legitimate tackle. Slater did not attempt a tackle. What has a high tackle got to do with anything? It was a shoulder charge not a high tackle in fact there was no tackle involved.

You are clutching at straws to justify letting a player play his last game in a Grand Final.

Where in my post did I say that Billy Slater let Billy Slater off? To say that Slater should not have been charged is absolutely ridiculous he had to be charged, the Ref awarded a penalty and that meant a foul had occurred. Do you actually know anything about the process involved?

It was a shoulder charge and exactly what the rule was bought in to eliminate. No perception about it at all. If that had happened in any other game the player would have had a holiday. His left hand is at his side and never leaves it. His right arms moves up marginally after the point of contact with the left shoulder and you need two arms to lay a legitimate tackle. Slater did not attempt a tackle. What has a high tackle got to do with anything? It was a shoulder charge not a high tackle in fact there was no tackle involved.

You are clutching at straws to justify letting a player play his last game in a Grand Final.

No it's not ridiculous. For starters a precedent had been set when Waqa Blake wasn't charged at all - and neither of his arms were ever extended. One of Billy's was. Even another Melbourne player (Vunivalu??) had been involved in a similar incident that didn't draw a suspension.

His right arm didn't move up after point of contact. His right arm made the contact. At any rate, the rule simply says if you're making the tackle you have to be making an attempt to wrap the player up - even as half arsed as it was, that arm basically ticks the boxes.
If you're going to start running guys out for that, suddenly tackles like the two absolute bone rattlers Dean Whare dished out this year become dispensable simply because the shoulder did all the impact Work and the arms never affected the tackle.

I'm a Roosters fan mate. Would have suited me down to the ground if Slater didn't play.

I'm also a now inactive ex-Match Review chairman for the semi-professional local competition in our area. There is no way known id issue a charge for that. It doesn't make me more qualified obviously than the nrl judiciary but I think it allowed me a reasonable insight into what does and doesn't constitute a suspension.

The high tackle comment is relevant because people are suddenly taking the view that the Slater decision somehow makes shoulder charges legal because he didn't get suspended.

The analogy is to suggest that you don't have to get suspended for something to make it illegal. Kicking someone in the head isn't suddenly legal just because Cameron Munster didn't get suspended for it. Spear tackles aren't suddenly legal just because Jake Friend didn't get suspended. And nor do shoulder charges suddenly become legal.
There are other ways of enforcing the rules - they're called penalties and sin binnings.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whats the point of having grading if when it doesn't suit they just change the charge? Wonder what even a grade 1 kicking charge brings?

The AFL is no better, plenty of times a brownlow favourite does something that automatically brings a week so they charge them with misconduct instead...

But its a bad look to allow players to kick someone in the head and say oh that's alright, he barely touched him
The NRL are kidding themselves...you also had Friend upend someone again as well as Aubusson and no charge at all....not even a mention?

The NRL are kidding themselves...you also had Friend upend someone again as well as Aubusson and no charge at all....not even a mention?

Here we are again.

Does friend's tackle warrant a charge? (I haven't watched it again since)

He was penalised at the time. If the committee deems that a penalty was sufficient there is no reason to take it further. He was actually charged and pleaded guilty to the one against Souths which was worse than Sunday's - his clean record and early plea avoided a ban.

If you get caught speeding, do you automatically lose your licence? No. The punishment depends on the severity of the infringement.

Here we are again.

Does friend's tackle warrant a charge? (I haven't watched it again since)

He was penalised at the time. If the committee deems that a penalty was sufficient there is no reason to take it further. He was actually charged and pleaded guilty to the one against Souths which was worse than Sunday's - his clean record and early plea avoided a ban.

If you get caught speeding, do you automatically lose your licence? No. The punishment depends on the severity of the infringement.
Should of at least been mentioned that it was looked at and how the mrp saw it. Given his previous weeks indiscretion. Just to ignore it was a bit amateurish imo. I like the AFL review process that comments on all the incidents whether they are being sanctioned or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back