2019 4th Ashes Test 2019 Old Trafford

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well played guys, shame we couldn't hold out and set up a cracking last test but that's that.

Nothing quite like a sensible, gracious winner.
Crowd booing smith getting quite a few here upset, not sure if any pommy player will cop retaliation from Aussie crowds in 2 years (archer most likely imo)

Always wondered why the convicts didn't bring soccer over here since they came here but cricket stuck with us. Soccer didnt really take off here until 2006. Maybe we just love our Aussie Rules and rugby too much.

Long story short, convict transportation era ended* before the Football Association invented the current set of rules we call "soccer" today. The current rules took a little while to evolve too, in the early days players were allowed to attempt a fair catch, which was called a "mark" in the early copes of the rules.

*more or less (WA were still getting one ship a year a decade after every other colony had stopped).

Always wondered why the convicts didn't bring soccer over here since they came here but cricket stuck with us. Soccer didnt really take off here until 2006. Maybe we just love our Aussie Rules and rugby too much.

Because it didn't exist when the convicts first came here. (Not to mention the convicts didn't have much time for sport ;))

The two games that the Poms gave us were rugby and cricket, then we developed Aussie Rules :thumbsu:

Unbelievable after the euphoria built around the test side, we only play 7 more test matches in the next 15 months.

2 x tests at home against Pakistan in 2019.
3 x test at home against New Zealand in 2019/2020
2 x tests against Bangladesh in Feb 2020.

We then don't play another test until a one off test in November 2020 at home against Afghanistan.
We then play 4 tests at home against India in the 20/21 summer.

All because of the T20 world cup in Australia in October next year.

In that time we play 19 x T20's, 15 x ODI's and the T20 world cup.

We tour NZ, Zimbabwe, India, South Africa and England and don't play a single test in any of the countries.

fu** I hate T20...
Makes this series win all the more sweeter.
The test series against NZ looks potentially good.
You never know what Pakistan is going to serve up test wise though.

The thing with Warner is 1. he's still probably in our best six bats at least on paper, 2. his partners have been as bad as he's been too and 3. he'll probably score a heap of runs at home which will take up most of our schedule for the next 18 months.

Yet him opening while Broad is playing....you may as well play with 10 men.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Warner retains his spot for the 5th test then the selectors are sending the wrong message to the players - that there are two sets of rules selection wise. One based on performance (axing of Bancroft and Khawaja) and one based on nudge nudge wink wink (selection of Warner).

Aussie selection for The Oval is going to be interesting. Looks like Warner/Harris have a Gold Pass from Langer, but I'd drop them both and open with Burns and Khawaja.
Rest Lyon whose R index finger is like a squashed tomato. Labuschagne/Head/Smith can bowl some variety and bring back Siddle or Pattinson.

Aussie selection for The Oval is going to be interesting. Looks like Warner/Harris have a Gold Pass from Langer, but I'd drop them both and open with Burns and Khawaja.
Rest Lyon whose R index finger is like a squashed tomato. Labuschagne/Head/Smith can bowl some variety and bring back Siddle or Pattinson.

They seem pretty intent on winning the last test and actually winning the ashes and just not retaining , they won't give people games for the sake of it.

I think they will rest a bowler off the short break and thats about it.

Also with Warner, I think they are looking long term and they already have him in for the first test of the summer.

How does Harris have a gold pass? He missed the opening two Tests when he had every right to be selected over Bancroft.

Bancroft and Harris have been failures, Warner is an absolute bunny against Broad with the new ball.

Controversial, but I'd consider opening with Paine for one test match. Most importantly he's right handed, but he's also batted in the top order a lot at Shield level. Warner would appreciate coming in after Smith at five.

Not a great option, but I'm not sure how we avoid being two down after five to ten overs, and the cattle we've tried so far aren't up to it.

Head and Wade could both be given another test, but if Pukovski is in England I wouldn't mind throwing him a baggy green and seeing how he goes.

On moto g(6) play using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unbelievable after the euphoria built around the test side, we only play 7 more test matches in the next 15 months.

2 x tests at home against Pakistan in 2019.
3 x test at home against New Zealand in 2019/2020
2 x tests against Bangladesh in Feb 2020.

We then don't play another test until a one off test in November 2020 at home against Afghanistan.
We then play 4 tests at home against India in the 20/21 summer.

All because of the T20 world cup in Australia in October next year.

In that time we play 19 x T20's, 15 x ODI's and the T20 world cup.

We tour NZ, Zimbabwe, India, South Africa and England and don't play a single test in any of the countries.

fu** I hate T20...
The test v Afghanistan will be a 4 day one also

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Do like how Hazlewood has gone down the Broad path of just running down the wicket and celebrating the lbw without turning around. I know that last one was stone dead but it definitely affects the decision if you act like it’s a no brainer rather than beg the umpire to give it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back