LukeParkerno1

Post-Human
Sep 23, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
We are dependent on ONE batsman to win games of cricket, and that's not a good place to be in (we lost 3rd test because smith didn't play).
No we lost the 3rd test because we blew a review and the umpire was as blind as a bat. It took one of the great Ashes innings to beat us. Happens.

woota

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
No we lost the 3rd test because we blew a review and the umpire was as blind as a bat. It took one of the great Ashes innings to beat us. Happens.
Yes, and all of that would have been irrelevant if smith had played because england would have been chasing 500+ in their last innings.

Topkent

Premium Platinum
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
We are dependent on ONE batsman to win games of cricket, and that's not a good place to be in (we lost 3rd test because smith didn't play).
We won the first test by 251 runs and Smith made 286.

So we still very easily could win without him and then we easily should have won the 2rd test without him aswell.

Stop posting crap

Topkent

Premium Platinum
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
So smith makes no difference and england would have still won the 3rd test if smith had played... fair enough
It's a dumb hypothetical. Smith being injured brought in Lab who actually helped us almost win and then did help us win this test. Smith could have made 2 ducks and dropped a catch that cost us the game.

woota

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
It's a dumb hypothetical. Smith being injured brought in Lab who actually helped us almost win and then did help us win this test. Smith could have made 2 ducks and dropped a catch that cost us the game.
-accuses me of dumb hypothetical

- suggests that smith would have made 2 ducks if he played

Only on bigfooty

(Log in to remove this ad.)

woota

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
You don’t know what would have happened...

We also wouldn’t have had Lab as he was stupidly left out for Wade, Head and all the other left handers
I don't know what would have happened, but all the evidence suggests that smith would have made a pair and not guided australia to victory.

Crankitup

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
I think it's pretty short sighted to cite as your only reason for us losing the 3rd test that Smith was missing, when his replacement scored 80 & 74.

LukeParkerno1

Post-Human
Sep 23, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I don't know what would have happened, but all the evidence suggests that smith would have made a pair and not guided australia to victory.
We are in a better position with him missing that test! We thank Barbados form that.

Let me guess you were one that rated the Marsh duds....

We were in a good position, we had them 9 down and 100+ to win, you win 99 times out of 100 from there. It happens once you lose, that’s cricket mate.

woota

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I think it's pretty short sighted to cite as your only reason for us losing the 3rd test that Smith was missing, when his replacement scored 80 & 74.
Oh I know, Smith clearly has nothing to do with australia winning. We should drop him for the 5th test. I'd bet on him making a pair if he plays.

Crankitup

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
Oh I know, Smith clearly has nothing to do with australia winning. We should drop him for the 5th test. I'd bet on him making a pair if he plays.
Nice deflection. No one can deny he was one of the major reasons for us winning the 4th test and the 1st. I was just pointing out that it's a bit naive to suggest his absence caused our loss in the 3rd, when you consider what his replacement scored. If Labs had failed you'd be on much stronger ground.

woota

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Nice deflection. No one can deny he was one of the major reasons for us winning the 4th test and the other one we won. I was just pointing out that it's a bit naive to suggest his absence caused our loss in the 3rd, when you consider what his replacement scored. If Labs had failed you'd be on much stronger ground.
Of course. Smith definitely can't beat 80 and 74.

Crankitup

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
Of course. Smith definitely can't beat 80 and 74.
Of course he CAN. Will he always? No. What did he score in the second innings of the last test? He won't always score a century. We don't know what he would've scored in the 3rd. If we want to play hypotheticals we can only use his average. He averages 60 playing tests in England. Labs scored 154 in the match. Smith's average suggests he would likely have scored a total of 120.

woota

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Of course he CAN. Will he always? No. What did he score in the second innings of the last test? He won't always score a century. We don't know what he would've scored in the 3rd. If we want to play hypotheticals we can only use his average. He averages 60 playing tests in England. Labs scored 154 in the match. Smith's average suggests he would likely have scored a total of 120.
His series average of 134 runs per innings definitely shouldn't be taken into account. I'd still bank on him making a pair if he had played.

Jimthegreat

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Yes, and all of that would have been irrelevant if smith had played because england would have been chasing 500+ in their last innings.
We still should've won. A costly dumb review, a fumbled run out, dropped catch, a s**t attempt at a run out then a complete idiotic decision by a hopeless umpire screwed, not because we didn't have Smith, although, of course, he would've made things much easier as would any missing gun player.

Mad_Hatter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Dumb argument.
We DO have Smith...
If they didn't have Stokes we'd be 3-0 up right now, even accounting for Smiths concussion.
If Chicago didn't have Jordan they wouldn't have won 5 Championships.
But... they did...

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
We really dominated most of the 3rd test without Smith, extremely unlucky not to win and had multiple easy chances to secure a comfortable win. So that kind of ruins your point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom