List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why should we be spend an extra 100-200k a season from our salary cap just to feed into Adelaide delusions of pick 2?
It’s not about appeasing Adelaide. I don’t know the position of our salary cap, but if we’re in a position to do it, I’d rather pay the extra salary and keep pick 15. If we don’t pay enough to trigger band one and Adelaide match, we’re not going to walk away from the deal and it’s pretty likely we’d cough up a first rounder.

2MP has a big contract ongoing. Unless GC pays half, you are paying big coin for a spud.

I don't rate him at all but have heard him mentioned. Sounds like Brodie is a big no. Fiorini would be a good get, perhaps they'd throw him in the deal.

If it means bringing in a decent pick - after a few years of trading out our own. I’m happy to do it.
That pick could be used on Caldwell for example - if it was pick 20 in a hypothetical.
It could also be the difference between being able to go out and get another Dougal Howard type in a few years time or needing to go with the budget, crap version of a player instead.

So something like we offer him $750k x 4 but Adelaide pay $150k of that. Would that actually be allowed or is it only when taking on an existing contract (like Stuv last year)?

Crows would prob do it to get picks 1 and 2 and I don’t think they would be looking to max out their cap with their current list.
No that wouldn't be allowed.

More likely we do a separate trade that is in our favour and gets a player off our books.

It’s not about appeasing Adelaide. I don’t know the position of our salary cap, but if we’re in a position to do it, I’d rather pay the extra salary and keep pick 15. If we don’t pay enough to trigger band one and Adelaide match, we’re not going to walk away from the deal and it’s pretty likely we’d cough up a first rounder.
If we are only paying more to get Adelaide band 1 compo, then it is about appeasing Adelaide.

Pick 15 or Pick 20 is not something worth kicking up a stink about.

2019 brownlow medal.

Brad Crouch equal 12th on 14 votes.

If he can replicate a season like 2019 we are definitely going to be much stronger in the midfield. Fingers crossed his body holds up.

It could also be the difference between being able to go out and get another Dougal Howard type in a few years time or needing to go with the budget, crap version of a player instead.
You do realise that - if Carlisle stays he gets a much reduced deal on his current one where he is well paid. Or he goes and it’s completely off the books.

Webster is on a decent deal signed when he was a permanent fixture. If he goes this season it’s a big savings. He will be gone regardless After that deal.

Roberton is on 700k. We wear that for 12 months longer Max.

We apparently lose 400k off Jack Steven deal this off season.

plus we would ideally move on Dunstan and his decent AFL standard contract.

plenty of money mate.

Do we need to target another tall forward/ruck for depth? Unless we plan on playing Josh Battle there long-term, but I personally like him more in defence - definitely need to decide where we want him during the offseason tho.

Just seems like we're screwed now if long-term injuries occur to any of Ryder, King, Membrey or Marshall. Ruins our structure too when one of them is missing as we're pretty small everywhere else.

Fixating on the wages of a few players is losing sight of the bigger picture imo. The club is clearly trying to put a list together to have a tilt at a flag... and they're doing a stellar job. Flag is what matters. That's it. If we win one in next few years i don't care if Crouch is on a mil a season.

As for sustainability, i'm putting my faith in the club to have a plan.

We have good people at our club now. They get sh*t done. I love it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are only paying more to get Adelaide band 1 compo, then it is about appeasing Adelaide.

Pick 15 or Pick 20 is not something worth kicking up a stink about.
It's about keeping pick 15. If it's a choice between:
a) getting Crouch + keeping pick 15 + paying a bit more on his salary
or
b) getting Crouch + giving Adelaide pick 15 + getting him on a cheaper salary

I'm choosing option A.

Yes, its a matter of logistics and opportunity cost. 100k x 4 or 5 to keep a first rounder, get a few off the books, Robbo, Dunny, Webster, we then have a top line ball pig and still currency.

There is a balancing act. Hanners has two to go, Hill 4, Crouch 5, all on big coin. Then we have the likes of Clark, Coff, Gres, Marshall, King, Paton, next year Butler, Jones, all needing to be put to bed with other clubs coming after them.

Never lose the sight of the big picture, that in GF week we are talking about the game, not who we get next season. Object of all of this is to win a flag. Sounds trite, but we get lost sometimes in the moment.

So the recruiters and powers need to weigh up the cost compared to how Crouch changes the team dynamic. Look at how the 5 changed us up this season. Then look what happened at the pointy end of the season v Richmond. Is the cost worth getting a renown inside ball pig to free up the outside runners and also be able to load up and have our mids rotating forward and through the guts. We saw our gameplan this year, what will the ball pig do to enhance it and take us to a respectable 5th to flag winner?

You do realise that - if Carlisle stays he gets a much reduced deal on his current one where he is well paid. Or he goes and it’s completely off the books.

Webster is on a decent deal signed when he was a permanent fixture. If he goes this season it’s a big savings. He will be gone regardless After that deal.

Roberton is on 700k. We wear that for 12 months longer Max.

We apparently lose 400k off Jack Steven deal this off season.

plus we would ideally move on Dunstan and his decent AFL standard contract.

plenty of money mate.
Paying extra to appease Adelaide might seem fine now. But it comes back to bite you when all the kids come out of contract in a few years time and we cant afford all of them at their market value because we have money sitting in Hills contract and extra money in Crouch's contract and so on and so on.

In a few years time, I want to be like Geelong who can still go out and afford to improve their list while being at the top rather than a Collingwood or GWS who need to shed players to fit gaping holes on their list because they got carried away and overspent when they didnt need too.

Yes, its a matter of logistics and opportunity cost. 100k x 4 or 5 to keep a first rounder, get a few off the books, Robbo, Dunny, Webster, we then have a top line ball pig and still currency.

There is a balancing act. Hanners has two to go, Hill 4, Crouch 5, all on big coin. Then we have the likes of Clark, Coff, Gres, Marshall, King, Paton, next year Butler, Jones, all needing to be put to bed with other clubs coming after them.

Never lose the sight of the big picture, that in GF week we are talking about the game, not who we get next season. Object of all of this is to win a flag. Sounds trite, but we get lost sometimes in the moment.

So the recruiters and powers need to weigh up the cost compared to how Crouch changes the team dynamic. Look at how the 5 changed us up this season. Then look what happened at the pointy end of the season v Richmond. Is the cost worth getting a renown inside ball pig to free up the outside runners and also be able to load up and have our mids rotating forward and through the guts. We saw our gameplan this year, what will the ball pig do to enhance it and take us to a respectable 5th to flag winner?
Good analysis. It is a balancing act. Without knowing the intricacies of our cap, it's almost impossible to know exactly what is the right course of action.

It's about keeping pick 15. If it's a choice between:
a) getting Crouch + keeping pick 15 + paying a bit more on his salary
or
b) getting Crouch + giving Adelaide pick 15 + getting him on a cheaper salary

I'm choosing option A.
I'd rather c) of telling Adelaide they misread the situation, over valued their player and they can take the compo or get f'ed because that's all he's worth right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back