List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
100k a year seems trivial but thats the amount GWS and Cameron were haggling over for months before he decided to move.

Maybe their SC is not as well managed. I just feel our guys have the runs on the board. We have built up a war chest over a few years, loaded up on excellent youngsters, Clark, Coff, Gres, Paton, Battle, Long in the draft, traded well last year because of the well managed cap, and now as we move 9 places up the ladder we can attract the upper end FA.

i reckon this plan is well mapped out, and they know what they need to do two, three , four years ahead re SC.

I for one feel comfortable.

It's about keeping pick 15. If it's a choice between:
a) getting Crouch + keeping pick 15 + paying a bit more on his salary
or
b) getting Crouch + giving Adelaide pick 15 + getting him on a cheaper salary

I'm choosing option A.

At this stage our offer has been lodged with Crouch & he's accepted it. AFAIK we have until the offer has to be submitted with the AFL to adjust it.

I don't think we will... or will need to.

We won't be giving Adelaide pick 15 unless they want to trade Riley O'Brien to us.

I reckon Bytel looked well worth persisting with. You don't get many clean hands good disposal mids coming through. Caldwell will stall him a bit IMO. Byrnes still worth getting another look at too. If he comes he comes.
We have room for all of them and Bytel is a very different player to Caldwell.

I’m still super happy we grabbed Bytel and I think he’ll soon be a regular along with Steele and crouch. We really need some more speed and outside skills plus the way the game is played these days you need to rotate more players not less through the midfield.

i wonder in we’ve had a chat to brander ?

100k a year seems trivial but thats the amount GWS and Cameron were haggling over for months before he decided to move.
Mate compare apples to apples not oranges.

GWS have a cap bursting at the seems. They are stkilda 07-2011.

we are a club who has forward paid a cap for years As we have had no talent to pay. There is room and nothing to worry about.

Maybe their SC is not as well managed. I just feel our guys have the runs on the board. We have built up a war chest over a few years, loaded up on excellent youngsters, Clark, Coff, Gres, Paton, Battle, Long in the draft, traded well last year because of the well managed cap, and now as we move 9 places up the ladder we can attract the upper end FA.

i reckon this plan is well mapped out, and they know what they need to do two, three , four years ahead re SC.

I for one feel comfortable.
Im probably just bitter when looking at other clubs.

Geelong have an extra 850k that they found for Tom Kelly and then are going to use for Jeremy Cameron, yet we still ended up paying half of Stuv's contract and Adelaide pay for Jenkins. They could have afford to pay their own players.

About time we are the club who screws the others over then just appeasing everyone else.

It's pretty cool that that the Brad Crouch news has come as such a surprise to everyone. Crouch has been one of the most speculated on players for the last couple of years, and in arguably the biggest free agency fish this year (although it's not exactly a deep pool). I reckon every club would have made enquiries on him, whether they were going all in or just testing the water - when a player of his calibre is available, you have to ask the question.

We've obviously put a lot of hard work in behind the scenes to get him to pick us. A lot of other list managers and recruitment teams wouldn't have been able to help themselves but blab to the media if they thought they were leading the chase for Crouch, but not Gags and the Saints. We just went to work, got a contract that works for both parties, and announced it when we were ready. It's also a testament to Crouch's side of things, and how professionally his team has handled it.

Crouch won't be our best midfielder, and not our most damaging player. But when he's lining up next to a guy who finished on the Brownlow podium in his first year as full time, off the chain mid, he doesn't have to be. I think Crouch is going to free up a lot of our other mids, and play a bit of a support role that sees our more damaging players rise to another level. He's not a glamorous or flashy type, but he's exactly what we need.

I don't think people realise how good Crouch actually is. Steele is super clean but he's had 3 career games over 30 disposals. Crouch has had 3 career games over 40 and 8x 35 or above. Steele has only had one 35 possession games and that's his highest tally...the others were 31 and 33. Crouch is a massive accumulator, people who think he's just another Dunstan or Powell type are going to have their mind blown.

I don't think people realise how good Crouch actually is. Steele is super clean but he's had 3 career games over 30 disposals. Crouch has had 3 career games over 40 and 8x 35 or above. Steele has only had one 35 possession games and that's his highest tally...the others were 31 and 33. Crouch is a massive accumulator, people who think he's just another Dunstan or Powell type are going to have their mind blown.
The guy is a A -Grade mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have room for all of them and Bytel is a very different player to Caldwell.

I’m still super happy we grabbed Bytel and I think he’ll soon be a regular along with Steele and crouch. We really need some more speed and outside skills plus the way the game is played these days you need to rotate more players not less through the midfield.

i wonder in we’ve had a chat to brander ?

there is still only so many places for developing kids in our mids. I'd like to get him but there might be a positive in not getting him if we get games into Byrne and Bytel.

I'm not too fussed about the salary situation with Crouch either way and am backing in the club, but I would be interested to know how our salary cap has been put together over the past five or six years. As far as I know, clubs have to pay 100% of the cap over three year periods (ie can pay 95%, 100% and 105%). I feel like every year we've heard that our cap has been deliberately managed so that it's below the maximum and we can therefore pay more than 100% in coming years. It does seem like that is the case at the moment with the players we brought in last year and this year, but there must have been some times over the past five years where we were paying more than 100% and keeping it quiet.

I've got a saw called a Jonsered which is a big heavy old fashioned lump it a few years old but more like something from the '70s. It's a no frills but super over powered, it's a beast. I had a good Stihl as well but some one pinched it. Having 2 was handy there was always one sharp. I cut a lot of dead black wattle that blunts chain like you are cutting steel.
Jonsered were top saws back in the day, fully owned and made by Husqvarna, but now are a secondary brand.
If you get the chance to test a Stihl 500i do yourself a favor, your body will thank you.

there is still only so many places for developing kids in our mids. I'd like to get him but there might be a positive in not getting him if we get games into Byrne and Bytel.
If we rate Bytel and Byrnes as much as it seems, it probably worth going harder for another forward or key back then another midfielder the same age as those two anyway.

I wonder if Pick 20 would be enough to secure Caldwell? if so, opens up a lot more options for us.

A lot of crows fans are hesitant to trade 20 because they think they can bundle Pick 20 and 29 to the doggies for pick 12.

If the dogs are going to trade 12 for a bundle deal, Adelaide are the smartest choice. Because by promising to not bid on him with the first 2 picks, they already have reduced the amount of points that the doggies need to put together by 800 odd points.

So with this in mind, under the assumptions that Pick 20 gets Caldwell and St Kilda offer enough to get Adelaide Band 1 Compo... Would something like this satisfy all parties:

Adelaide Trade: Pick 20, Pick 29
Adelaide Gain: Pick 12 and Dan McKenzie

Western Bulldogs Trade: Pick 12 and 2021 3rd
Western Bulldogs Gain: Pick 15 and Pick 29

St Kilda Trade: Pick 15 and Dan McKenzie
St Kilda Gain: Pick 20 and 2021 3rd (Dogs)

I am sure this is pretty bias, but the way I see it is that Adelaide get the earlier first round pick. This is a deal that they have proposed on their board multiple times, the only difference is that they're taking DMac off our hands so we offer a bit more cash to Crouch.

The doggies seem to break even on paper, but there are a few things to consider. The first is that the two picks they gain get spent on JUH, however they can now use pick 36 which they have in this years draft. So it's essentially next years 3rd for pick 36 this year. But importantly, the points that they save by dealing with Adelaide reduces 800 points they would need to bid for JUH which is the equivalent of pick 25.

We gain a third for McKenzie which is neither here, nor there, we could always chuck that in with pick 20 if it needed extra to get Caldwell in the door.

If Adelaide were interested in Dunstan and the dogs were still interested in Lonie we could possibly find a way to get one or two of them into this deal and increase our return also. Plenty of options, best time of the footy year haha.

If he comes great if not I’m happy we have Bytel and burns.

We needed a plug and play top shelf ball pig and we landed one in crouch, that changes so many things.

If he comes great if not I’m happy we have Bytel and burns.

We needed a plug and play top shelf ball pig and we landed one in crouch, that changes so many things.

If we have Bytell and Caldwell on the list then finding the next Dangerfield increases. The more potential you have on the list, the better the chances of finding A grade champs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back