List Mgmt. 2022 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

We do have room, based off what we offered De Goey, but it appears we don’t want to use that money on Bowes. And that’s understandable if we want to target another top tier player next year.
If that's the thinking then, then I disagree with it.

We need to find top end talent through the draft.

Easy to say we will go after established talent again but the DeGoey situations is just more proof that it's harder done than said.

The best players are often staying at their clubs or choosing to go to contending sides.

Are we won't be contending unless we improve the list.

If we lose Long, Hill And Clark whilst bringing in other club’s delistees we might as well shut up shop.

This is going to be a very demoralising trade period. If by some miracle we could get three draft picks under 30 that would be very good, but probably means we’re going backwards a step before going forwards.
If we lose Long, Hill & Clark I'd expect we'd be bringing in a top 10 pick, a top 25 pick & a top 35 pick.

What we can do with that draft capital is the exciting part...

With Darcy Gardiner re-signing, I'd be asking Brisbane the question about Jack Payne (who's an RFA next year). He's now behind Gardiner, Andrews and Adams & would be perfect for our structure (although I have bagged him in the past, at 22 & 197cm, he's ideal). Wilks can be released to be our main inceptor and Battle can swing forward to support Max. Brisbane's cap must be getting close to chockers by now... especially with Dunkley & Gunston coming in.

I'd also be shaking Richmond's tree & hoping Jack Graham falls out. I know he's rejected Port & the assumption is he will stay at Punt Rd but with their incoming players, someone will need to be sacrificed. He's 24, 97 games & a tough SOB. Would instantly be a leader & compliment our existing & developing mid nicely.

Add those two & hit the draft with two top 20 picks & we're in business.

If we had continued like Collingwood did and Collingwood finished the year like we did....out of finals....reckon we would be slapping our backs with the DeGoey signing.

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last we heard from Gags we had interest in Bowes.
Until we hear otherwise from the club I’ll assume that’s still the case.
Something pretty drastic would have to happen because he is touring clubs today and we aren’t one of them

Any idea on whether we had interest in him and it was just a case of him not interested in us?

Or were we so focused on DeGoey that we took the eyes off the ball?
We were interested.

But De Goey trumped everything for us.

So you would imagine we probably left our run too late and we want to spend our cap in a different way based on Gallagher’s comments.

If that's the thinking then, then I disagree with it.

We need to find top end talent through the draft.

Easy to say we will go after established talent again but the DeGoey situations is just more proof that it's harder done than said.

The best players are often staying at their clubs or choosing to go to contending sides.

Are we won't be contending unless we improve the list.
We do need to improve the list, but we might not think what will be pick 8 is worth giving someone the equivalent of Brad Crouch’s contract to play at Sandy.

Or Bowes has said he isn’t interested so we are taking the De Goey money and the time it would take chasing Bowes elsewhere.

Which is disappointing

Clearly the Cats are in a position to fit that in but we aren't

Pick and 9 along with NWM, Wind and Owens would have been a great list refresh
ALL clubs have the ability to fit it into the cap because all clubs have the ability to vary the contract and wash the overhang over multiple years.
BUT if they did that then Bowes would have a list spot for that extension.
I suspect cap space is not the issue, it might very well be Bowes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ALL clubs have the ability to fit it into the cap because all clubs have the ability to vary the contract and wash the overhang over multiple years.
BUT if they did that then Bowes would have a list spot for that extension.
I suspect cap space is not the issue, it might very well be Bowes.
It’s only an issue if we don’t have someone better then Bowes during that duration.

We were interested.

But De Goey trumped everything for us.

So you would imagine we probably left our run too late and we want to spend our cap in a different way based on Gallagher’s comments.

Well Bowes would have definitely been a good way. Especially getting that 7.

Could have then used 9 for two picks in the teens.

4 picks in the Top 30 would go a long way to helping the list.

I just read on the north forum someone saying they should go hard after Bowes. Why the hell would Bowes want to go anywhere near that shambles of a club?

To a lesser degree, we're in the same boat. Until we can start looking like a consistently good, well coached footy side, we're not going to be an attractive proposition for other players.

I'm glad there seems to be a fair bit happening with the off field side of things, although I still lack faith in Ratten's ability.

I just read on the north forum someone saying they should go hard after Bowes. Why the hell would Bowes want to go anywhere near that shambles of a club?

To a lesser degree, we're in the same boat. Until we can start looking like a consistently good, well coached footy side, we're not going to be an attractive proposition for other players.

I'm glad there seems to be a fair bit happening with the off field side of things, although I still lack faith in Ratten's ability.
Essendon hawthorn Geelong.

Touring all 3 today.

No north or us or Brisbane

Long and f2dp to GCS for 25 and 32.

Give Bris 25 and 32 (1330) for pick 15 (1112) . But GCS are in the box seat to do that deal as they have soo many picks that they will not need.

Either hit the draft.

Or onsell to Richmond for Graham and RCD for 15 or combination of 25 28 32 46 for both or one pick for either one. They use that for Hopper....or we use it for Hopper...on the last day of trading.

Can't help bit think we would be a player in Port North trade foe JHF. We had players talking to Norf Hill and Clark and using the pick we get for Long let them go there and we get Ports pick 9 and f2rdp or Bergman and say f2rdp and f3rdp or some other combo

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we lose Long, Hill & Clark I'd expect we'd be bringing in a top 10 pick, a top 25 pick & a top 35 pick.

What we can do with that draft capital is the exciting part...

With Darcy Gardiner re-signing, I'd be asking Brisbane the question about Jack Payne (who's an RFA next year). He's now behind Gardiner, Andrews and Adams & would be perfect for our structure (although I have bagged him in the past, at 22 & 197cm, he's ideal). Wilks can be released to be our main inceptor and Battle can swing forward to support Max. Brisbane's cap must be getting close to chockers by now... especially with Dunkley & Gunston coming in.

I'd also be shaking Richmond's tree & hoping Jack Graham falls out. I know he's rejected Port & the assumption is he will stay at Punt Rd but with their incoming players, someone will need to be sacrificed. He's 24, 97 games & a tough SOB. Would instantly be a leader & compliment our existing & developing mid nicely.

Add those two & hit the draft with two top 20 picks & we're in business.
Great post, 100% agree.
I've been pushing the Jack Payne cart for 2 years now but unfortunately I believe he knocked us back in 2020 and as a Sunshine Coast boy that was part of their academy the Lions and QLD is in his blood and he'd be happy to stay there even on less than he might get elsewhere.
I hope I'm wrong though.

Last edited:
Esava said yesterday he is staying at Geelong & Jack Payne just side a 2 year extention.
This from trade radio this morning...

"We've put games into Sav, the coach does love him and he is contracted. But we totally understand, six years into the system, he's trying to work out where he can play the most footy."

- Andrew Mackie on Esava Ratugolea

Remove this Banner Ad

Back