Position 2023 Fantasy Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've now seen 3 match sims for Freo and a couple for West Coast so can add something from direct eye witness accounts that is pertinent to this thread.

Those considering Young should be encouraged by the fact he is taking a LOT of the kickouts. I think this will add 5+pts to his average before any other natural improvement comes to the party. At the very least any impact of a forward defensive role might have on him will be softened by this.

Clark is also taking some which I think adds to his flavour a bit too. He should maybe be looked at a bit more for draft that some might be.

Yeo is definitely playing mid and HB and seems to be moving well. To me he still looks heavy which is a worry for ongoing stress on legs that haven't handled loads well in the recent past but for now he's less of a risk than I first thought.

I heard someone on one of the days I was at WC training say they were drafting Witherden as backup to Yeo. Given what I've seen, I'd avoid that tactic. Small sample size for sure but he looks a bit like a guy on the outer and they had some young bodies running through he HB spot that they were getting the ball too so I'd guess he's now back up to the backups.

Chesser, although on a modified program, looks fine to start to me. Coaches were talking to him constantly when he wasn't in the sims explaining what they'd want from him or what the plan was (I'm obviously guessing there but basing that on a lot of pointing etc to the goings on in the game) and he looked well and truly engaged. We need someone to loop with and I'd say if he missed Rd1 he won't be far off at all.

Ginbey will play and play both back and mid. Big unit so should also be robust enough to play a lot of games, form will dictate that but like Serong did when he arrived at Freo, Ginbey looked a level above many already so I'd bet he's a player in the B22 for most of the year.
Thanks for this, all great insights. Especially interested in Clark for draft if he continues taking some kick outs

Did they ask if that would be in the ones or the twos...
He was saying it so I mean my aunt can say she is my uncle but it doesn't make it true

I mean... if anyone was to know it'd be her. Or him?
Tim Curry Movie GIF

Jack Bowes saying he will play wing and mids

Speculation all pre-season, but now something in writing to back up what I've been saying.

Wouldn't be posting puff piece articles if he was playing in the twos - we just don't do that. Note that there's mention of Tanner and Ollie at the end of the article, but it doesn't go deep into where they'll be playing, what they can bring etc. - because they're not considered first 22 yet. There's been another about Neale too, so those will be our two changes along with Holmes, come Round 1.

Have said pretty confidently from the moment we traded him in, that he'll play Round 1 and be in for at least the first quarter of the season. If he performs, he'll be a fixture, as he has huge versatility.

This is shaping up to be our Round 1 team as it stands:

B: Bews, SDK, J. Henry
HB: Stewart, Kolo, Zuthrie
C: Holmes, Blicavs, Bowes
FO: Stanley, Guthrie, Danger
HF: Close, J. Cameron, Miers
F: Stengle, S. Neale, Rohan
INT: Duncan, T. Atkins, I. Smith, Tuohy
Sub: O'Connor/Parfitt

EMG: Parfitt/O'Connor, Ratugolea, Ceglar, Menegola

Last edited:
I've now seen 3 match sims for Freo and a couple for West Coast so can add something from direct eye witness accounts that is pertinent to this thread.

Those considering Young should be encouraged by the fact he is taking a LOT of the kickouts. I think this will add 5+pts to his average before any other natural improvement comes to the party. At the very least any impact of a forward defensive role might have on him will be softened by this.

Clark is also taking some which I think adds to his flavour a bit too. He should maybe be looked at a bit more for draft that some might be.

Yeo is definitely playing mid and HB and seems to be moving well. To me he still looks heavy which is a worry for ongoing stress on legs that haven't handled loads well in the recent past but for now he's less of a risk than I first thought.

I heard someone on one of the days I was at WC training say they were drafting Witherden as backup to Yeo. Given what I've seen, I'd avoid that tactic. Small sample size for sure but he looks a bit like a guy on the outer and they had some young bodies running through he HB spot that they were getting the ball too so I'd guess he's now back up to the backups.

Chesser, although on a modified program, looks fine to start to me. Coaches were talking to him constantly when he wasn't in the sims explaining what they'd want from him or what the plan was (I'm obviously guessing there but basing that on a lot of pointing etc to the goings on in the game) and he looked well and truly engaged. We need someone to loop with and I'd say if he missed Rd1 he won't be far off at all.

Ginbey will play and play both back and mid. Big unit so should also be robust enough to play a lot of games, form will dictate that but like Serong did when he arrived at Freo, Ginbey looked a level above many already so I'd bet he's a player in the B22 for most of the year.
Great intel. Yeo starts for me so long as he gets through pre season unscathed; that’s really all I need to lock him away.

The one I’m really interested in though is Young. Strongly considering going against the crowd and picking him over N.Daicos.

Great intel. Yeo starts for me so long as he gets through pre season unscathed; that’s really all I need to lock him away.

The one I’m really interested in though is Young. Strongly considering going against the crowd and picking him over N.Daicos.

Yep, me too. I know someone on the X v Y etc thread got mocked for posting Young v Daicos but its a real question when you look at the stats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have Young in my side but I'm not super confident. I rarely see Fremantle games so it's hard to get a feel for if he's ready to take the step. But he's the right age bracket to make the jump.

He ticks a lot of boxes for that jump. I think people get a little carried away with the potential mid time for Daicos and the impact that might have on his scoring. By no means is he a bad pick but I don't think he's anywhere close to the slam dunk he's thought to be by some.

Obviously I have a purple bent to me so confirmation bias towards Young plays in to my assessments which is why I didn't try to recommend for or against, just indicated what role he seemed to be adding to his mix for this season.

Kickouts is something I'd be expecting him to do a fair bit of if match sims are an indication. He's got a great kick to the point of it being a weapon over short and long distances. If he adds from 5 and maybe up to 10 kickouts per game to his scoring from last year that's easy points. It's a tasy thought as you'd expect 50% or so he'd move out of the square so you're looking at 6-15pts on his average from that alone. Much easier points to add to his average than Daicos will get by moving in to the mids or copping more defensive pressure when back.

I don't have either right now because I went with Doc but if I go away from him then they both bounce in to the frame and it's not the easy choice. Without Doc I probably have both to be honest.

finding it hard to split Sicily or Dawson. Is it just case of going the cheaper one to save the cash
Sicily can lock down and Dawson can get tagged

It's questions on either

All good points .....my take is, Mitchell was traded in to get the hard ball & distribute to the likes of Daicos

The fact Daicos is winning the time trials, shows he's fit & clever enough to get the right spots, to receive the ball

How he handles the inevitable tag is the ????? .....but being up around the action all the time, can't be bad for his scoring ......IMO he's a :padlock: for a 100 ave

Yep this, I'm all in on Daics, the guy had what 7-8 tons last season. He's better for it and has Mitchell looking for him because he is a mover.

Yep this, I'm all in on Daics, the guy had what 7-8 tons last season. He's better for it and has Mitchell looking for him because he is a mover.
Yep, Daicos is always on the move 👍 ....like all good MIDS

With Hewett still uncertain and Walsh out I hope yes
I think it is prolonged period for Walsh that is forcing their hand.

Joyce is Irish player for the lions who will play alongside McKenna in the backline. AFL website had a write-up about him.

Dunno about the others. Would love to know if Keane or Joyce can be used instead of McKenna/Coffield.
Will either play though. Rich & Coleman seem entrenched. Zorko maybe there too now? Starcevich a lock down back. Not much room for either of them at Brissie is there?

Who the * are they? 😂
Stocker a mid who couldn't get a gig at Carlton, will now get a shot at St Kilda, kinda a gift he has been named in the backline averaged 85 in the VFL, Joyce averaged 61 as a KPD, and Keane average just under 58 as defender in 2021

Mature aged players always come in handy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back