Training 2023 Preseason + training discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

We finally hear from JL, he seemed a bit nervous at the start.

Of note:
O'Driscoll with a minor hot spot, should play second pre season match.
Cox with scab infection, should play first pre season match.
Nothing on Darcy so assume not injured.
Emmett to play in Friday intraclub.
Captain selection in two weeks.
Wing and forward spots still up for grabs for who wants it most.
Praise for Jackson and Omeara for slipping in seamlessly.
Stated that this preseason is at a minimum equal to last season, but probably better. Big steps forward from Young, Serong, Brayshaw.

Jesus JL my excitement for this season is hard to contain.

Last edited:

Just popped down to training. Nothing much exciting to report. Lots of drills. The boys had to drop and do push-ups a couple of times - cracking down on some non-negotiables is my guess.

Some random observations.

-Knobel is all arms and legs. Probably needs to run around in the shower to get wet.
-Draper won the genetics lotto. Awesome specimen of a creature for 18.
-Wagner did some one-on-one training (testing?) away from the group.
-Fyfe didn't leave the forward 50 the whole time we were there. Nailed every shot I saw him take. At one point the trainer dude in the goal square didn't move for about 10 mins as he watched them sailing over his cap.
-Chapman is an awesome kick
-The coffee cups in the team store make a great/terrible Valentines gift

Just popped down to training. Nothing much exciting to report. Lots of drills. The boys had to drop and do push-ups a couple of times - cracking down on some non-negotiables is my guess.

-Knobel is all arms and legs. Probably needs to run around in the shower to get wet.
-Fyfe didn't leave the forward 50 the whole time we were there. Nailed every shot I saw him take. At one point the trainer dude in the goal square didn't move for about 10 mins as he watched them sailing over his cap.
Ffs, keeping a lid on it is no longer an option.

Nothing exciting except Fyfe drilling set shots at ease

Lovely to hear

I stopped in too and agree with everything you saw. Freddy went off and did some run throughs with Marshall Stocken and then went in side. Seemed to be indicating lower right leg issue but seemed minor based on his running.
Darce, Sonny and Andy were no shows🤷‍♂️.
They all look in ripping condition. Reidy is a monster!👀

Tabs is a bigtank forward and a wrestler. Amiss is a niftier lead-up and can do bodywork but isn’t the right size yet to throw campaigners around. Treacy is a lead-up and a pressure forward. Lacks height.

We have a zillion short people who stacked on each other make a decent forward target but also crumb and provide pressure.

What’s missing is an aerialist. Someone to pluck off juicy bombs. Someone to sit on campaigners’ heads at will and to own that space.

Last few minutes of the game Sandi and Ballas retired in, Nathan Fyfe realised all bets were off and started going for some serious hangers.

If Fyfey can do that, and if Dogga can do it when Fyfe isn’t, that genuinely rounds out a forward line.

What Nathan also brings is some serious grunt around forward stoppages. Serious grunt. Back lines be shitting themselves.

I am putting a few ifs here there and everywhere because it is yet to happen.

But when it does, I am not going to be quietly confident.

No no no. You all thought FDH16 was annoying.

Tabs is a bigtank forward and a wrestler. Amiss is a niftier lead-up and can do bodywork but isn’t the right size yet to throw campaigners around. Treacy is a lead-up and a pressure forward. Lacks height.

We have a zillion short people who stacked on each other make a decent forward target but also crumb and provide pressure.

What’s missing is an aerialist. Someone to pluck off juicy bombs. Someone to sit on campaigners’ heads at will and to own that space.

Last few minutes of the game Sandi and Ballas retired in, Nathan Fyfe realised all bets were off and started going for some serious hangers.

If Fyfey can do that, and if Dogga can do it when Fyfe isn’t, that genuinely rounds out a forward line.

What Nathan also brings is some serious grunt around forward stoppages. Serious grunt. Back lines be shitting themselves.

I am more optimistic about the grunt Fyfe will bring to forward stoppages than I am to him reprising his high flying dominance.

Going to be exciting to see how it works out.

The beautiful thing is having a genuine clearance player in the forward stoppages, taking a defender into places they aren't equipped. On name alone defenders will be shitting bricks. Hope it works

This is how I expect Serong to kick ten goals this year, Fyfe getting all the attention and sneaky out the side for a snap and goal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I loved JL’s praise for some of the young players including AB and Serong in that they’ve managed to unite the whole club. For an understated guy there was a lot of feeling in that statement. He also singled out Serong’s leadership development. He certainly doesn’t seem daunted by the prospect of one of them becoming captain.

Is Hamling the likely in for Cox against Adelaide?

Edit: I ask because of JLo's comments Yesterday;
"Coxy has probably taken a little bit longer with that infection in his knee, so we'll just make sure we build him up the right way."

Cox was initially training in a glove last month after his skateboarding incident took skin off one of his hands, but the more significant knee issue emerged later, restricting him to running laps in recent sessions.

"He had a skateboarding incident which is not ideal, but it wasn't serious," Longmuir said.

"The scab got infected and left him in the situation he's in. It's something we could have stopped.

"The infection looks like it's cleared up (and) it looks like he's gotten on top of the swelling.

"Now it's just about making sure we don't put him out there too early and put him at risk of injuring some other part of his body."

Is Hamling the likely in for Cox against Adelaide?

Edit: I ask because of JLo's comments Yesterday;
"Coxy has probably taken a little bit longer with that infection in his knee, so we'll just make sure we build him up the right way."

Cox was initially training in a glove last month after his skateboarding incident took skin off one of his hands, but the more significant knee issue emerged later, restricting him to running laps in recent sessions.

"He had a skateboarding incident which is not ideal, but it wasn't serious," Longmuir said.

"The scab got infected and left him in the situation he's in. It's something we could have stopped.

"The infection looks like it's cleared up (and) it looks like he's gotten on top of the swelling.

"Now it's just about making sure we don't put him out there too early and put him at risk of injuring some other part of his body."
Exactly why it’s important to have depth like Hamling.

And why players probably shouldn't be riding on motorized skateboards that look like small surfboards on the path beside the freeway...

But young men will be young men
Cox should be glad the overzealous issuer of fines Blake Acres has moved on, he'd be thousands out of pocket otherwise. And rightly so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back