AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - God-tier Hands

Remove this Banner Ad

His best trait imo is he does hunt the footy. His player rating is elite for pressure acts. It’s the other parts of his game that are letting him down.
I thought his individual game might blossom without Wright there but it seems to have had the opposite effect.
At this moment in time he is not ready to take on the oppositions best key defenders head to head. So in the meantime is filling a role until we get our best forward setup available.

His body is still filling out and he has to find confidence in his ankles again, but his attack the footy isn't something I'm concerned about. He was lauded in 21 partly because he was willing to put himself in front of the pack to get crunched and was still pulling down his marks, and with such a skinny frame. He was smart in the way he went about it too, often coming in from the side. I don't get why that's so easily forgotten.

Something Ive noticed amongst this group of new KPF's, they all seem to have a nasty, aggressive streak in them.

Van Rooyen, Cadman, Ugle Hagan.

Jones is a nice player who im not sure will stick his head where it shouldn't go
He’s not nasty….I’d agree with that.

But he’s actually pretty brave - he jumps honestly at the ball every time, you’ll never see him duck his head in a marking contest.

He’s not nasty….I’d agree with that.

But he’s actually pretty brave - he jumps honestly at the ball every time, you’ll never see him duck his head in a marking contest.
may have been a poor choice of words on my behalf, I don't see Harry crashing packs like young Camminiti from St.Kilda, I don't see Harry throwing his weight around like I saw Cadman doing yesterday, I don't see Harry sticking up physically for his team mates like I have seen from young Jacob Van Rooyen from Melbourne.

A level of aggression he lacks imho is what I was talking about, not his attack on the footy. That. probably can't be disputed so apologies for this

Reports of a back injury, to be assessed by medicos this week
Essendon forward Harrison Jones’ short-term playing future is in doubt as the Bombers investigate a back injury suffered by the young tall.

Jones, 22, was not named in either the AFL or VFL side this weekend, a result of a setback to the injury-riddled forward who missed considerable football at the end of 2021 and 2022 with other issues.

While Jones trained during the week, it’s understood he pulled up with discomfort on Friday. With the Bombers away to Port Adelaide on Sunday, Jones is set to be assessed by medicos this week however the club is bracing for what could be a substantial period of time on the sidelines.

Taken in the 2019 draft, Jones has kicked 35 goals from 32 AFL games, but started 2023 modestly, dropped after just two goals in the opening five.

However his injury stretches Essendon’s tall stocks further, with spearhead and reigning Crichton Medallist Peter Wright out until the back half of the season with a shoulder injury and tall backs James Stewart and Jayden Laverde both sidelined as well.

thx for the tip off boncer34

dumb and dumber vomit GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember the days when we had durable talls?

It’s the curse of Gumby.

Another tall has been Gumbletonned by the fates.
You wouldn't want to be a talented tall coming to us from a high draft pick - quite an attrition rate in that category. A big reason we have been mediocre at best for a long time.

He was lauded in 21 partly because he was willing to put himself in front of the pack to get crunched and was still pulling down his marks, and with such a skinny frame. He was smart in the way he went about it too, often coming in from the side. I don't get why that's so easily forgotten.
Probably because he's done SFA since?

Remember the days when we had durable talls?

It’s the curse of Gumby.

Another tall has been Gumbletonned by the fates.

The big issue for these kids (outside of their bodies) is how it affects their development.

These are very important developmental periods for Cox, Reid, Jones... they need to be learning how to play footy, finding their positions, finding their feet and growing confidence, outside of developing their bodies.

These kids come in having dominated junior footy (in no small part due to their size) and having played very little, if any, senior football.

The go straight from that underage, junior footy into the highest level of professional footy and they need to learn it. Instead the first job is to pack 10 - 20kg of bulk onto them which so often leads to their bodies breaking down.

Outside of that they've actually got to learn to play footy.

It's a very tough spot to be in.

I say it time and time again but on the whole, the draft age is too young. AFL footy would be of higher standard if it wasn't also a nursery.

The big issue for these kids (outside of their bodies) is how it affects their development.

These are very important developmental periods for Cox, Reid, Jones... they need to be learning how to play footy, finding their positions, finding their feet and growing confidence, outside of developing their bodies.

These kids come in having dominated junior footy (in no small part due to their size) and having played very little, if any, senior football.

The go straight from that underage, junior footy into the highest level of professional footy and they need to learn it. Instead the first job is to pack 10 - 20kg of bulk onto them which so often leads to their bodies breaking down.

I say it time and time again but on the whole, the draft age is too young. AFL footy would be of higher standard if it wasn't also a nursery.
Perhaps part of making the initial draft contract longer is putting in some sort of provisions around skill and physical development and growth.

Tricky though because you have kids like Daicos that should be getting half a mil and playing every game at 18, and others that shouldn’t play at all until they’re 21-22

You’d think we’d be smarter about it really. Let the growth plates close and focus on skill development before asking them to put on weight

And on top of that you have people bitching coz Cox has noodle arms still. Like maybe it’s better if he doesn’t look like pop eye and can get his feet and back right first?

The draft age isn't too low for mine. Some players are ready at 18. Some are probably ready before. The list sizes are too small and there's no real reserves for players to cut their teeth in.

Must have tried to lift a 10kg barbell and his slight frame couldnt handle it. Oh well at least the kid is trying to pack on some size...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back