Delisted 27 . Sam Menegola (2016 - 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Contract extension for Sam

Geelong midfielder Sam Menegola has agreed to a contract extension that will take him through to the end of the 2023 season.

Menegola enjoyed his best season, finishing sixth in the Cats best and fairest and earning a berth in the All Australian 40 player squad.

Contract extension for Sam

Taken quite a while for me to warm to Sam; thought he started to turn things around in last year's finals series, came back into the team late in 2019 and seemed to find a bit of a groove, something he took into 2020. Loved his long goal in the GF this year after the long break when Simpson was knocked out; had to convert a long shot to give us any chance and he did.
Will be 29 when the 2021 season rolls around, so this was quite possibly his last contract; hope he was remunerated adequately.

Taken quite a while for me to warm to Sam; thought he started to turn things around in last year's finals series, came back into the team late in 2019 and seemed to find a bit of a groove, something he took into 2020. Loved his long goal in the GF this year after the long break when Simpson was knocked out; had to convert a long shot to give us any chance and he did.
Will be 29 when the 2021 season rolls around, so this was quite possibly his last contract; hope he was remunerated adequately.

I'm pretty much the same in how I've viewed Sam over the years - wasn't totally sold on him in early years, and he still frustrated me last year but really impressed with him this year

In previous years I've been critical of some of his decision making - he seemed too hungry or selfish when in goal range, where he'd take the shot on goal or take the extra step & extra second to have a shot on goal when he didn't have the space or time & get caught.

Thought that this year he was much better in regards to that side of things, he'd take the shot/responsibility when he was in range & position, while he was better at lowering the eyes or looking for teammates when it wasn't in goal scoring position

Yesss! I honestly was worried he would be lured by another club on big $ as this is his last big contract..great show of loyalty to him.

Crazy to think that he will play at least 100 and more games after how his journey started..like pods he is a story of persistence.

He is a chance to play on beyond 2023 as a 33yo because he is a good runner and prepares really well so his body should hold up but any deals past then would be 1 yr so this is his last big contract
Hence a big show of faith by him to stay.

He is a chance to play on beyond 2023 as a 33yo because he is a good runner and prepares really well so his body should hold up but any deals past then would be 1 yr so this is his last big contract
Hence a big show of faith by him to stay.

absolutely, his natural stamina coupled with the hard yards he is clearly capable of putting in should hold him in good stead - maintaining form more so than fitness will be his biggest challenge ..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back