Past 3. Marc Murphy

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd love to address some of the things that have been said here but I don't know where to start.

So much disrespect and vitriol aimed at a guy who has been a long time loyal servant of the club. I'm sure Murphy didn't seek to be Captain during arguably the worst period in our history as a club.

He could have sought greener pastures years ago and had much more personal and team success at a better club than ours. Talk to anyone at the club, be that players, coaches or administrators and he is held in high esteem.

Is he the best captain we have ever had in my years supporting our club. No, he isn't, but he isn't the worst either. We haven't had a truly inspiring captain since the days of Nicholls, Jezza and Kernahan. Mind you we haven't had any real success since then as a team either which doesn't help when rating captains.

Whatever you feel about Murphy personally some of the things that have been posted here are pathetic and shameful. No loyal servant of the club should ever be spoken about in that way.

Over the last couple of years Murph seems to have become a bit of a whipping boy. Was coping it last year even though he was our B&F. Has won many awards.

Being the captain when we’re going through major change isn’t easy, but you’d sometimes get the impression that the negatives of the rebuild are all his fault. He doesn’t recruit the players, the Board, the coaching panel etc. He’s been given a messy basket and asked to weave it together.

Around the club he’s regarded highly. Think he’s been great for Carlton.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Funny you say that. The rumour has it that Murphy old man told the club he would need to be captain after Judd or he will leave.

Murphy is a great player. A leader, he is not.

Would like to keep him, but change captains.

I'd love to address some of the things that have been said here but I don't know where to start.

So much disrespect and vitriol aimed at a guy who has been a long time loyal servant of the club. I'm sure Murphy didn't seek to be Captain during arguably the worst period in our history as a club.

He could have sought greener pastures years ago and had much more personal and team success at a better club than ours. Talk to anyone at the club, be that players, coaches or administrators and he is held in high esteem.

Is he the best captain we have ever had in my years supporting our club. No, he isn't, but he isn't the worst either. We haven't had a truly inspiring captain since the days of Nicholls, Jezza and Kernahan. Mind you we haven't had any real success since then as a team either which doesn't help when rating captains.

Whatever you feel about Murphy personally some of the things that have been posted here are pathetic and shameful. No loyal servant of the club should ever be spoken about in that way.

Funny you say that. The rumour has it that Murphy old man told the club he would need to be captain after Judd or he will leave.

Firstly, I don't place much stock in unsubstantiated rumours and secondly, my post has nothing to do with whether he continues to be Captain or not, it's about the disrespect which he is being treated with by so called supporters.

Last edited:

so;
1) quote/make up completely unsubstantiated rumor.

2) assume that it is completely true and use it as proof of your narrative.

lets be honest its pretty unlikely that a former champion like john Murphy with his knowledge of the game would ever do this.

IF Murph leaves, does the 1.5 mil we were rumoured to have available for free agents become 2.2mil?

Whilst I’ve akways loved murph, his recent actions have swayed my thinking a bit. In a way, until we get rid of that soft underbelly (that he’s been apart of), I don’t think we’ll truly move forward. Leave that to Crippa, doc and the kids

Jesus we have some poor supporters.

I wouldn't blame him if he left after reading some of this s**t.

…. it surprises you Mal?

Little guy has played his heart out for this club, often working through niggling injuries from being smashed pillar to post. 2017 was a ripping year for the Skip …. how quickly people forget.

As I said earlier, I respect whatever Marc decides, I will support him either way, because I know he has done over and above what his body (and playing an inside mid role), has allowed him.

I don't think this is an argument that can be made in Marc's favour. Murph signed a long term lucrative contract at a time when a) the club overrated the list and b) was paying players well above their equivalents in other sides. Murphy isn't ba martyr, he's done exceptionally well for himself these past five years.

As for his legacy... watch this space.

I'm standing in the middle on this one.

I've met Marc and he's a nice guy. Much more convivial than Bryce or Kade. He is not a courageous leader nor has his output been great since 2011 (where he should have won the brownlow). However, he hasn't had much support around at the club since Juddy left. Docherty is friends with him so I take that as a good reference for a man's credibility.

I would not begrudge him if he wanted out, but it doesn't leave a great taste in my mouth. No vitriol towards him either way.

I don't think this is an argument that can be made in Marc's favour. Murph signed a long term lucrative contract at a time when a) the club overrated the list and b) was paying players well above their equivalents in other sides. Murphy isn't ba martyr, he's done exceptionally well for himself these past five years.

Well said.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm standing in the middle on this one.

I've met Marc and he's a nice guy. Much more convivial than Bryce or Kade. He is not a courageous leader nor has his output been great since 2011 (where he should have won the brownlow). However, he hasn't had much support around at the club since Juddy left. Docherty is friends with him so I take that as a good reference for a man's credibility.

I would not begrudge him if he wanted out, but it doesn't leave a great taste in my mouth. No vitriol towards him either way.

Getting sick of this crap line. Sure he might not be the most inspirational leader but he's always put his body on the line for the club so for people to question his courage is garbage.

I didn't make any argument based on money he was or wasn't paid, you missed my actual point.

I will stand by the argument that had he have chosen to leave 5 years ago he would have enjoyed more success elsewhere. He would have had plenty of suitors.

I didn't make any argument based on money he was or wasn't paid, you missed my actual point.

I will stand by the argument that had he have chosen to leave 5 years ago he would have enjoyed more success elsewhere. He would have had plenty of suitors.

I can make the opposite argument - perhaps if he had chosen to go 5 years ago along with a few others I can and have named - the club would have done better.

All conjecture really isn't it?

Bob Murphy was on SEN earlier today and says he is staggered that Murphy is looking at his options.
Bob, was a captain himself, understands it better than us.
He said that Murphy should be showing leadership to the young players.

Would have thought that was pretty much common sense and expected behaviour from a "Club Captain" - however, others have a different 'take' - aka Marc has done Carlton 'favours' by being there'...total BS of course.

Would have thought that was pretty much common sense and expected behaviour from a "Club Captain" - however, others have a different 'take' - aka Marc has done Carlton 'favours' by being there'...total BS of course.
Agree with you.
I am not very computer savvy so someone may be able to bring up the link.

I am assuming that you didn't get to see the posts I was responding to as they have been removed, this whole discussion was about the disrespectful language used when talking about Murphy. What had been posted was pathetic.

It wasn't about favours, his suitability as Captain or anything else. People have chosen to take a small part of what I said and take the discussion down a different path, so be it.

Is he looking at options ? Or is this just rumours and media speak....

It might be argy bargy by his manager via the media, he said he is about to sit down with the club and his manager early next week, some players wait until the end of the year to finalise their contracts.

Personally I have always felt Murphy would be a one club player, I hope he does, some pretty horrible comments in this thread about him, he has captained club through a pretty difficult time and Bolton himself has said he has been fantastic working with the younger guys off field, and very popular around the club.

Not sure why he is our whipping boy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back