Player Watch #35: Nathan Broad

Remove this Banner Ad

Broady is one of those blokes that you can give 'A Job" to.

Keep it simple and say "Mate we just want you to do this for us", and you know he'll do it and try his best, and will take one for the team.
Don't get me wrong, Im a Broad fan and would have been happy if he was never dropped and played every game, I just find it really interesting he's brought in this week for this match up given our current defensive structure. I'm interested as to the logic of picking him as opposed to a Markov, Ross, Higgins, Chol, Aarts, Caddy. Very curious what plans they have here.

I’m pleasantly surprised to have Broady back in the side, I think Broad offers us a good amount of flexibility.

Whether we wanted to use Baker or Short further up the field, Balta to roam into the ruck/wing or have Grimes/Vlastuin not to have to worry about their direct opponents.

We also know what we’re going to get with Broad!

Bit of an interesting pick this week, with Astbury, Balta, Grimes and Vlastuin I'm not sure we need another tallish defender and article says he has been playing some different roles. Would be a big call to bring him in on a new role for the first time in a final.

Broady's been used as ruck relief before

I was surprised when he was dropped and even more surprised that his back in.

In the presser, Hardwick talks about him playing back-up ruck and wing in a scratch match. Will he play there? Or in the backline, freeing up Balta to play the Grigg wing / ruck position?

Don't get me wrong, Im a Broad fan and would have been happy if he was never dropped and played every game, I just find it really interesting he's brought in this week for this match up given our current defensive structure. I'm interested as to the logic of picking him as opposed to a Markov, Ross, Higgins, Chol, Aarts, Caddy. Very curious what plans they have here.
I'm tipping Balta plays Chols role fwd/ruck. Give him a few games to find his feet. I'd prefer Balta just playing where he can work with JR & Lynch

I'm tipping Balta plays Chols role fwd/ruck. Give him a few games to find his feet. I'd prefer Balta just playing where he can work with JR & Lynch
I wouldnt be doing that personally, Balta is probably the best match up for Max King in the air because he has the athleticism and leap. He's been good there all season.

Its a wildcard last quarter option, but if we didn't try it last week without Lynch when we needed to get back a few goals, I can't see us playing Balta forward now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe Dimma will do what Barassi did with Glendinning years ago, just play him from the same goalsquare for the four quarters: 1st Q fullback - 2nd Q fullforward - 3rd Q fullback - 4th Q fullforward.

From memory it worked and North won the game.

On SM-J250F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good solid game tonight one error but was one of the better and most solid of our defenders tonight.

Good to have him back.

Solid and stood up in the first half when others were off the pace.

Dave and Noah having a trunfdle in the ruck wasnt too bad, certainly better than Chol.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back