3rd Test - D/N - Australia vs South Africa @ Adelaide Oval (Nov 24-28)

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't remember Sehwag moving his feet at all. lol but yeah Warner is more controlled than Sehwag. Don't remember much of Sanath in his test career though to be fair.

Can't remember Sehwag moving his feet at all. lol but yeah Warner is more controlled than Sehwag. Don't remember much of Sanath in his test career though to be fair.

He scored a really good hundred at Adelaide in the third test, the same summer Kalu went stupid in the Odi matches. that was about as good as it got for him against Australia at least.

I don't support Australia, but I am happy to talk about them without being a w***er

Off topic, but can I just say it is good to hear someone talk Aus cricket that isn't a fan, that doesn't resort to just disparaging them and their fans?

I don't know who you do support, and I kind of like that because it means you can give an opinion that remains valid to many who would otherwise resort to first looking at the team they support, and crafting a response accordingly (I'm sure you can understand that as an Essendon fan, I can't discuss any team, player or issue without the last 4 years forming the basis of any reply)

Off topic, but can I just say it is good to hear someone talk Aus cricket that isn't a fan, that doesn't resort to just disparaging them and their fans?

I don't know who you do support, and I kind of like that because it means you can give an opinion that remains valid to many who would otherwise resort to first looking at the team they support, and crafting a response accordingly (I'm sure you can understand that as an Essendon fan, I can't discuss any team, player or issue without the last 4 years forming the basis of any reply)

Haha yeah I can sympathize.

I started following the West Indies after the 92-93 series ( I was just a kid) and that sort of gradually developed into supporting them first, and whoever plays Australia second.

BUT. I like cricket first and foremost and I think that while I'm obviously a bit biased given my leanings, I can acknowledge the good and bad in Australian cricket. I reported on it (not at the highest level obviously) for a decade and I've played it for 26 years straight so I like to think I have a reasonable idea of what I'm talking about. but I'm no stranger to getting things completely wrong either.

The only time I like being a c*** about Australia is when some of their more zealous fans get the blinkers on and can't acknowledge quality from other nations, simply as a consequence of how dominant Australia were for a long time.

Haha yeah I can sympathize.

I started following the West Indies after the 92-93 series ( I was just a kid) and that sort of gradually developed into supporting them first, and whoever plays Australia second.
West Indies are very much my second team.

My son is 1/4 Guyanese so I have a connection with them. It helps that the West Indian community are tight knit, and we get free tickets when they tour.

West Indies are very much my second team.

My son is 1/4 Guyanese so I have a connection with them. It helps that the West Indian community are tight knit, and we get free tickets when they tour.

Haha that's awesome.

I'm Facebook friends with Darren Sammy - that's about as good as it gets for me lol.

They still have some massive issues but they have a talented group at the moment and there are just a couple of tiny flickers of hope.

Warner should have scored more because of the ways he got out. The runout in the last innings was pretty farcical, there was never a run there. He got tied down and lost his patience.
The runout from Bavuma was a great runout don't get me wrong, but he didn't push the last 3-4 metres as he thought he'd make it at the pace he was going and got surprised by a great runout. If he knew he had to push he would have made it; with either a dive or pushing that half step harder.
The dirty mow outside off from Philander as well. That wasn't a Warner like shot he usually plays great cricket shots. He's not the hacker most make him out to be, despite his S/R. But that was just a hack.
The 97 was a nothing shot, he just hangs the bat out whilst on the move, not sure what he's doing.

So yes, he should have scored more. It was like he was finding ways to get out, they weren't getting him out if that makes sense. He looked in good form throughout the series, though and he shouldn't lose confidence. Just refocus a little and he'll be set.

0/23 and 2/77 is hardly good bowling from Marsh. I usually back Marsh as a bowler, I think he has real 3rd seamer potential in that area. But he wasn't one of our best that match. But you're right about Siddle, he did do a very good job and I'd have him in the team over Bird. Although at this point he's probably got a bit of work ahead of him if he wants to get back in the team. I hope he does, I really rate him.

I think Siddle has broken down after his last five tests.

He needs to start proving fitness

I think Siddle has broken down after his last five tests.

He needs to start proving fitness

Sids is cooked I think. Good soldier and has been a good servant but I think the body issues now mean that we have to look past him. Really like what he has done and can he proud of his career

The only time I like being a c*** about Australia is when some of their more zealous fans get the blinkers on and can't acknowledge quality from other nations, simply as a consequence of how dominant Australia were for a long time.
Usually one begets the other

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A Tedious Routine !

Monday to Friday twice daily
I commute on a weekly ticket,
as the wheels of the train go round
clickity, clickity, click it,

A tedious routine and though
I'm thoroughly sick of it,
unless my numbers come up in the lotto
for the next twenty years, I'll have to stick it !

But what keeps me happy is on Saturday
I will be at the wicket,
leather v willow, ball striking bat
playing and enjoying cricket!

Perhaps your cricket club started out this way ?

The Mayor of Kilgore

In the bygone era of shire horse and steam
when erstwhile men still followed the plough,
for working class folk, life was no idyllic dream
hard labour or starve, in contrast to the here and the now

The town of Kilgore an industrious place
linen and turf, the main produce and trade,
its workforce toiled daily at an unyielding pace,
united in pride by their skill with shuttle and spade

The Mayor of the town an affable peer
valued greatly, the effort his citizens gave,
he encouraged them all with relevant cheer
as the annual town taxes, he'd gratefully waive

But work without play, makes Jack and Jill rather dull
so this innovative man, requisitioned some land,
realising, that to maximise productivity and avoid lull
recreation lifts morale, which indirectly helps business expand

So hence the inception of Kilgore Cricket Club
a venue where townspeople would meet after work,
to play, spectate and fraternise at this new social hub,
even the Mayor a regular patron, chaperoned by his clerk

They entered a first eleven into the county league
hardy men from the community united in cause,
and despite some initial derision and combat fatigue,
Kilgore soon became proficient at the game, it's spirit and laws

By the following summer like cream, they'd reached the top
admired the county over, filling grounds home or away,
in each discipline, their players the pick of the crop
capturing the league title, such was their fine style of play

But jealously distinguishes not, betwixt commoner or lord
so when Kilgore made the final of the Varsity cup,
Upton Old Boys the opposition, aware of potential discord
hired a few professional players, to avoid any embarrassing slip up

Crowds thronged to the stadium, gentlemen and dames
as the sun chased the clouds like an observant sentry,
and though certain chaps were playing under stage names
who would suspect misdemeanour, from respected gentry?

Upton chose to bat first, their skipper called the toss
having scant regard of Kilgore's ability to inflict a rout,
what could possibly go wrong, against lower class dross?
But those of arrogant disposition, often acquire a bloody snout

It started well for their batsmen, Upton's two skilful ringers
nonchalantly striking the ball to applause and cheers of approval,
but a change to a bowler, more adept at in and out swingers,
dismissed both, then what followed was sheer wholesale removal

After a calamitous collapse, tea, though Upton still optimistic
as chasing such a paltry total, would be no stroll in the park,
for within their ranks, a charlatan who bowled ballistic
and with victory secured, none would suspect duplicity or pass remark

Just as Kilgore's one and two, strolled out to the middle
in a nearby cottier's cottage lay dying, Patsy McSwiggan,
an old turf cutter and character, who enjoyed playing the fiddle,
his heart now weary from long years, spent lifting and digging

As a good pastor and family circle, solemnly stood by his bed
outdoors a paperboy yelled, " read all about an unlikely upset,"
then instantly up jumped the old navvy and exuberantly said,
"Please excuse me, I'm off to the bookmakers to place a bet

By now Kilgore's brave batsmen had their teeth firmly sunk in
like tenacious bullterriers, whose bloodlines are meticulously bred,
they countered the onslaught, ball after ball rearing up at their chin
by ruthlessly dispatching it, back over the bowler's head!

As the bowlers and fielders capitulated and crumbled in tow
Upton's chairman and committee panel, sat by the pavilion,
tendered their resignations, coinciding with the final, victorious blow
and Kilgore's proud Mayor raised the cup, attired in official vermillion

Despite Upton prevarication, speculation and rumour ran rife
the vanquished finalists had dug deep at immense financial cost,
by recruiting outside assistance, then fell on their own knife
as their mercenary players could not compete and so they lost

The victory celebrations lasted long into the wee small hours
many more joined the party, including a healthier, wealthier Patsy McSwiggan
for the spirit of working folk, knocked the toffs from their ivory towers
and to Patsy's fine fiddling they brought the cup to Kilgore, still singin'and jiggin'!

You guys do realise that the game that is on today is no longer the 3rd Test against South Africa at the Adelaide Oval, don't you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back