Traded Adam Treloar [traded with #26, #33 and #42 to Bulldogs for #14 and 2021 R2]

Who won this trade?

• Collingwood

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 15 93.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Great write up, however, I would add an option 5, which I think is the most likely:

5) AFL acts as arbitrator after impasse is reached. Collingwood is forced to pay the amount they back ended on his original contract - something like 175K per year over 5 years - (875K in total), I think was the figure. Bulldogs pay the remaining 125K over 5 years (625K over 5 years or 725K total per year - 600+125K extra).

Either that or the AFL makes up some bs that allows them to give Treloar ambassador money...which is also a distinct possibility given his vocal stance on mental health.

Whatever happens, the AFL already has egg on its face and the two clubs have not covered themselves in glory - letting it drag on this long while Treloar continues his eternal holiday in limbo

Unless there's evidence that the Dogs agreed to pay more than $600k as part of the trade getting them to pay more is a no go. If you enforce a salary cap you can't just tell a club to pay a player $125k more than they signed them for. And if there was any evidence of that Collingwood definitely wouldn't be going with their "we agreed to negotiate the pay split after the trade" approach.

The AFL could pay Treloar money outside the cap but other clubs would kick up a massive stink at the AFL effectively giving Collingwood salary cap relief. Again it sets an awful precedent that if you've got salary cap issues you can force out a contracted player, leak negative stories about them to the press, blame their partner and mental health issues, be incompetent with salary negotiations during the trade and be bailed out by the AFL.

I think the only logical conclusion of why this is dragging out like it is is that Collingwood are in salary cap trouble and need to rearrange some contracts to ensure they're inside the cap. That's not easy with players away from the club and the AFL is just giving them time to get their house in order and sort everything out. The dogs will probably be willing to make very minor concessions to get the deal finished such as negotiating who pays what in which year but the overall amount is almost certainly not going to change much if at all.

600k a year is unders for an A-grade mid aged 27 and in his prime...

You guys signed him on $900k a year but $175k a year of that was what you already owed him. So Collingwood only valued him at $725k a year. But that was pre-covid while the dogs are signing him knowing the salary cap was going to reduce so all salaries are down ~10% from when he signed. So in today's world Collingwood only really valued Treloar at ~$650k. His value has clearly decreased since then so $600k is about right. The pay for a guy like Treloar is based almost exclusively on where he plays. At a Richmond or Geelong he's probably a $500-550k player (like Guthrie, Edwards, Blicavs, etc). At a Gold Coast he's probably a $900k player. The dogs were the only suitor so $600k is probably reasonable.

I know we all have rose coloured glasses towards our own club but this might be the most delusional nonsense I've read on these forums. You clearly know nothing about employment law.

Adam Treloar signed a contract with Collingwood for $900k. It's almost certain there was a clause in that contract that in the event of Collingwood trading him they would be required to make up for any loss of salary and benefits. Under the minute chance that clause wasn't in there it's absolutely certain that there is a clause in the new contract with the WBD that stipulates it only comes into effect upon Collingwood signing a new contract with Adam to pay the rest of what is owed to him.

But let's assume for a second that Collingwood, the Bulldogs, Treloar and the AFL all have among the most incompetent legal and management teams in history so they didn't include either of these clauses. Even then Treloar made multiple public statements that his preference was to stay at Collingwood and see out his contract, he only started discussions with other clubs after being instructed to by Collingwood and he only signed a contract with the Bulldogs after Collingwood signed documents agreeing to trade him. There are public statements that Treloar would still be paid what he was owed and there are dozens of historical examples of contracted players being traded against their will and never has this led to a player receiving less money or their previous contract being declared void. In short, if Collingwood argued their obligations to Treloar under his contract was void they would be laughed out of court.

It's abundantly clear Collingwood has 4 legal choices. They are:

1) Get the Bulldogs to agree to pay Treloar more than they initially signed him for. Unless Collingwood can prove as part of the trade negotiations the Dogs said they would pay more then this seems incredibly unlikely to happen.
2) Get Treloar to agree to a pay cut. Maybe they can stretch this out long enough that he does but if I were the AFLPA I'd be demanding this doesn't happen and be taking Collingwood to court for their mistreatment of Treloar as otherwise it sets an awful precedent for the players in future.
3) Convince the AFL that there was a genuine misunderstanding in the trade and to declare the trade void. Except everyone knows the last thing Collingwood wants is to have Treloar back at the club and have to pay him $900k a year.
4) Pay the $300k or whatever it is they owe.

The only realistic outcome is 4.
A clause in Adams contract with Collingwood. I assume would have been brought up by now. If it exists then Collingwood would have to pay up no questions asked. A clause in Adams new contract with the Dogs would I assume require Collingwood to sign to be valid. Clearly this has not occurred. I'm not a contract lawyer and I will not make any assumptions about the competence of either teams legal advisors. I will say that this was rushed and should have never been approved in the first place. I also disagree with your assumption about players being traded against their will. Adam could have said no to the trade. He had a choice as bad as it would have been and he signed a deal with the Dogs.

I think your legal choices are fine except these choices apply to all parties. Don't get me wrong Collingwood have messed this up. But so have all the parties involved.

Last edited:
600k a year is unders for an A-grade mid aged 27 and in his prime... I guess you are not really grasping the meaning of ''salary dump''?

600 is a hell of a lot though for a hopeless ball butcher whose team mates all hate him, who can't function with his wife interstate and whose club and coach can't even be bothered telling him they are trying to get rid of him.

Massive overs.

And don't tell me what I am failing to grasp, numbnuts.

A clause in Adams contract with Collingwood. I assume would have been brought up by now. If it exists then Colligwood would have to pay up no questions asked.

Nobody except deluded Collingwood fans have suggested Treloar will be left only receiving $600k. It's not even a consideration that he doesn't get paid the money Collingwood signed him to. It's because the clause almost certainly does exist and even if it doesn't everyone knows he's done nothing wrong so of course he'll get his money.

A clause in Adams new contract with the Dogs would I assume require Collingwood to sign to be valid.

Your assumption would be wrong. Treloar and the Dogs can easily sign a contract that states it only goes into effect upon him signing a separate agreement with Collingwood about compensation.

Last edited:
Nobody except deluded Collingwood fans have suggested Treloar will be left only receiving $600k. It's not even a consideration that he doesn't get paid the money Collingwood signed him to. It's because the clause almost certainly does exist and even if it doesn't
So if the dogs and Treloar came to an agreement that he would receive 200K a year from the dogs would Collingwood have to pay the rest? I agree he needs to get his money unless he agrees to a pay cut. But all parties need to be in agreement.

Your assumption would be wrong. Treloar and the Dogs can easily sign a contract that states it only goes into effect upon him signing a separate agreement with Collingwood about compensation.
If this is the case would he have to play for Collingwood next year if the agreement with Collingwood about compensation is not reached?
I think the situation has gone past this with all of the draft picks traded. Would be interesting if that occurred.

Last edited:
You guys signed him on $900k a year but $175k a year of that was what you already owed him. So Collingwood only valued him at $725k a year. But that was pre-covid while the dogs are signing him knowing the salary cap was going to reduce so all salaries are down ~10% from when he signed. So in today's world Collingwood only really valued Treloar at ~$650k. His value has clearly decreased since then so $600k is about right. The pay for a guy like Treloar is based almost exclusively on where he plays. At a Richmond or Geelong he's probably a $500-550k player (like Guthrie, Edwards, Blicavs, etc). At a Gold Coast he's probably a $900k player. The dogs were the only suitor so $600k is probably reasonable.
Interesting so would Treloars 900K rumoured salary only be 810K because of covid?
810K - 175K = 635K
So he was on 635k next year at the Pies + the 175K yearly owed (kept the 175K at the full amount because it was back payed) .....
Compared to the dogs 600K. This whole situation is a bit strange.

Edit: I like your maths better but whatever

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if the dogs and Treloar came to an agreement that he would receive 200K a year from the dogs would Collingwood have to pay the rest? I agree he needs to get his money unless he agrees to a pay cut. But all parties need to be in agreement.

This is why it's so incompetent of Collingwood not to have evidence of what the dogs offer was. Collingwood are the one who are obliged to ensure Treloar receives $900k so they're the one that needs to make sure the other party is paying what they think. Of course Collingwood could say they were misled, void the deal and keep Treloar. But they can't because they can't afford him. But you're lucky, the dogs aren't claiming the agreement was for them to pay an absurdly low $200k and leave you with $700k. They say the agreement is for them to pay a perfectly reasonable $600k.

If this is the case would he have to play for Collingwood next year if the agreement with Collingwood about compensation is not reached?
I think the situation has gone past this with all of the draft picks traded. Would be interesting if that occurred.

He's not going back to Collingwood because you can't afford him and don't want him.

Interesting so would Treloars 900K rumoured salary only be 810K because of covid?
810K - 175K = 635K
So he was on 635k next year at the Pies + the 175K yearly owed (kept the 175K at the full amount because it was back payed) .....
Compared to the dogs 600K. This whole situation is a bit strange.

Edit: I like your maths better but whatever

Only if you had a clause in his contract that meant his pay reduced if the salary cap reduced. Evidently you didn't.

I still dont understand why the two clubs had to agree as to how much gets paid each year.

Think about it. Its two separate contracts and two separate salary caps. So long as Treloar gets his full amount at the end of said contracts whats the big deal?

Pies clearly tried to wiggle their way out of it.

Back