Preview AFL Rd 7 - Collingwood v Brisbane - Changes and Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

How many 'runs in the VFL' does Didak need? If hes fit he should be an automatic selection. Playing so many games in the VFL is plain stupid.

Agree he's had three runs now and assuming he pulled up ok, you'd think that's enough but they probably know best :)

Think we should go with our best team with possible exception of Jolly if there's any doubt with him, as Brisbane up there are worthy rivals for sure

5 pages and no 'Out: Sinclair'. I have now officially seen it all, and that includes a man eating his own head.

Didak, Thomas, Blair and Jolly need to play before Geelong. Forget about this nonsense of 6 day breaks and all that other crap, just get em playing.

Agree he's had three runs now and assuming he pulled up ok, you'd think that's enough but they probably know best :)

I have my doubts in this, otherwise we wouldnt have fallen so far in 6 months. We are playing average at best atm and need to get our best team on the park.

Didak, Thomas, Blair and Jolly need to play before Geelong. Forget about this nonsense of 6 day breaks and all that other crap, just get em playing.

:thumbsu: Agreed. Its only round 6 ffs. If a player needs 'a rest' after 6 games then they are not fit to be AFL footballers. Get em playing and try get some cohesion happening with our best team possible.

Our percentage is sh*t so we are basically a game behind most teams who are 4-2 and we are not the high scoring team we were last year.

I have my doubts in this, otherwise we wouldnt have fallen so far in 6 months. We are playing average at best atm and need to get our best team on the park.

You say this as though it's a simple matter to fix. I'm sure the club is more than well aware that they are better with their best players on the park. There are a variety of reasons we have fallen in the last six months and personnel missing through injury is the biggest factor. Luck is as big a factor in this as anything.

You say this as though it's a simple matter to fix. I'm sure the club is more than well aware that they are better with their best players on the park. There are a variety of reasons we have fallen in the last six months and personnel missing through injury is the biggest factor. Luck is as big a factor in this as anything.

Im not saying play players who cant run as fast a Cliff Young due to injury, but I do not agree with letting players such as Didak languish in the VFL just so we can get a game or 2 into a rookie who will be almost useless anyway come finals time.

Yeh injuries have played a big part but I dont see our lack of desire (apart from ANZAC day), non existant gameplan and poor skills as having anything to do with injuries.

I can't really see why Jolly has to play before the geelong game. I can understand the need for Thomas to play against Brisbane because coming back after injury last year he couldn't recapture his best form.

However, the selectors may think that Didak is not yet up to playing at AFL level, perhaps on the grounds that he did not dominate in the VFL. Perhaps they have already made a statement by not playing him against the Bulldogs, given that there is no VFL game this week. Perhaps he is deliberately being held back until he shows real hunger in his game. If he is not selected this week, there seems no chance of him playing against Geelong.

If Jolly missed due to an injury, the likelihood of him being sore off the back of a 6 day break would be high. Why risk it in round 7? Did we not learn anything from last year.

Dids played last year when he clearly wasn't fit...AFL fit. This year we appear to be making sure when he comes into the AFL he'll be at least somewhat match fit and have his touch back while not having him try to find touch and fitness at AFL level. All that does is drop his confidence. The game changes so quickly. I like what Bucks is doing here. Bring him in after he's been carving it up at VFL level. The confidence is high and being an experienced player with some match fitness under his belt, should be able to adjust to AFL pace again in a short time. Bucks has learnt from last year.

Re: Changes vs Lions RD 7

Haha, yeah I forgot Blair too.

So, with that in mind;

In: Blair, Thomas, Paine
Out: Ugle, Johnson (inj), Fasolo (inj)

I still think we should rest Jolly again this week, Brisbane only have Hudson as their ruckman, and he was slaughtered by Bellchambers last night, so even Wood should be able to be competitive against him.

Yer, this sounds pretty spot on.

Hopefully Paine can take marks like he did in the VFL last week :eek:

5 pages and no 'Out: Sinclair'. I have now officially seen it all, and that includes a man eating his own head.

as I said in another Thread he played his best game on Friday Night as he had not massive Stuff Ups

I've heard this reasoning a bit lately and can't help but think it is a pretty poor excuse for performances that aren't reaching expectations.

Still, that was easily the best game I've seen the dogs play this season :\

I agree that Jolly needs to play against Brisbane if he's fit. :thumbsu:

Otherwise he wouldn't have played footy for over 21 days. :eek:

Not a good lead up for Geelong.

In: Thomas, Didak & Jolly (If fit)
Out: Wood (omit), Johno (inj) & Fasolo (inj)

Give Blairy another week of if he's still not 100%.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why Buckley woudl be dropped. His DE% was better than Swans and outside a bad 10 minute patch that cost us 2 goals, I thought he was really really good.

Out: Johnson (inj), Fasolo (inj), Reid (rest)

In: Didak, Thomas, Blair

That's it for me. Brisbane are down on ruckmen too, so give Wood another chance, hoping he lifts against his old team. I'd consider resting Reid to be honest.

Brisbane don't have enough talls in the forward line to worry about, and Keefe and Brown are currently in much better form.

Not sure why Buckley woudl be dropped. His DE% was better than Swans and outside a bad 10 minute patch that cost us 2 goals, I thought he was really really good.

Out: Johnson (inj), Fasolo (inj), Reid (rest)

In: Didak, Thomas, Blair

That's it for me. Brisbane are down on ruckmen too, so give Wood another chance, hoping he lifts against his old team. I'd consider resting Reid to be honest.

Brisbane don't have enough talls in the forward line to worry about, and Keefe and Brown are currently in much better form.

Reid has only just returned from 3 weeks off, needs to play another game before we play geelong i think...

INS: Didak, Thomas, Blair
OUTS: Ugle, Johnson (inj), Fasolo (inj)

B - Maxwell Keeffe Toovey
HB - Clarke Brown O'Brien
C - Shaw Swan Sidebottom
HF - Thomas Cloke Wellingham
F - Didak Dawes Blair
R - Wood Beams Pendlebury
INT - Reid Buckley Goldsack
SUB - Sinclair

If Jolly is right to go then bring him in for Wood.

Injuries permitting - sub off Didak for Sinclair just after half time.

In: Thomas, Paine
Out: Johnson (inj), Fasolo (inj)

We need a 3rd marking tall, and Paine gives us that option.

Leave Jolly out until the Cats game, because after the Lions game we have a 6 day turn around, and realistically it's a 5 day turnaround by the time we get home (Sunday Morning).

Didak won't play by all reports, he needs at least one more run in the VFL, if not 2-3 more, he is simply not ready.

disagree, We looked way to top heavy!

we need some pace, even young jamie elliott could be a go?

disagree, We looked way to top heavy!

we need some pace, even young jamie elliott could be a go?

When Jamie Elliott puts a couple of games together at VFL level and the coaches are satisfied with his fitness and form, then I am sure he will play senior football. We certainly do not want yet another tall guy in the team as we were top heavy against the Bulldogs.

I , too, think we have lacked a bit of pace all year. I thought on Friday we lacked a bit of run and carry too. Changes this week, and looking to Geelong need to address this and also maintain/ improve forward pressure.
North outran Geelong at Etihad in perfect conditions where the Cats strong bodies were not as advantageous as they are in wet/windy conditions.
Thomas in, the retention of Sinclair favour this. Im not concerned about Jolly not playing this week, whatever preparation has him in the best order for Geelong we go with.

I expect Fas and Johnno out injured, Thomas and Blair in.
Toss of the coin on Ugle, if he is omitted i think we may look at Elliot.
Not sold on Dids just yet, dont think he will play against Geelong, so i expect he will miss again this week. We know he is not the hardest unit on our list but i really think he needs to show a bit more before he will be included.

I , too, think we have lacked a bit of pace all year. I thought on Friday we lacked a bit of run and carry too. Changes this week, and looking to Geelong need to address this and also maintain/ improve forward pressure.
North outran Geelong at Etihad in perfect conditions where the Cats strong bodies were not as advantageous as they are in wet/windy conditions.
Thomas in, the retention of Sinclair favour this. Im not concerned about Jolly not playing this week, whatever preparation has him in the best order for Geelong we go with.

I expect Fas and Johnno out injured, Thomas and Blair in.
Toss of the coin on Ugle, if he is omitted i think we may look at Elliot.
Not sold on Dids just yet, dont think he will play against Geelong, so i expect he will miss again this week. We know he is not the hardest unit on our list but i really think he needs to show a bit more before he will be included.

Why? Have you seen him play in the VFL? It is a blight on the club if he plays another game for them. His kicking is back to its best and he will add the quality we need into our side. I for one would be extremely pissed off if he was fit and didn't play (even as the sub).
He is still the best kick at the club, we need him going inside 50 whether he is soft or not.

On Dids, i could be totally off the mark, i hope i am. I just think a year is a long time in football, i think he needs to show something more than what has been displayed in the VFL. Sure his kicking is good, but in truth, its not the weapon it once was, certainly him in the side does improves our kicking.
His lack of speed in a side that is not overly does not help his inclusion.

If he is is in, i'll be supporting him as much and as strongly as ever.

2011 - won by 18 points in a low-standard game
2010 - lost at the gabba in a year we won the flag and they had lost five in a row
2009 - behind at half time in both games but won both
2008 - robbed by Vozzo, lost by 2 at the gabba
2007 - got slaughtered by 15 goals at the G, we made the prelim that year and they didn't even make finals.

We don't seem to play well against them, of course we can go back further to the grand final days, they dealt us some thrashings in 04-05 as well. This is a big danger game.

This is a big danger game.
The past means nothing, this is a top four side playing a bottom four side, we will win, and win comfortably.

Did you see them play in either of their last 2 games? They were deplorable, they have no rucks (Hudson is starting to go backwards), they have one forward (Brown) and one key defender (two if you count the out of form Patfull) and their midfield may have the least depth of any outside of GWS and the Suns, in fact I'd argue the Suns may be a tougher test at home then Brisbane.

We will win by 5 + goals, absolutely guaranteed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back