AFL Team of the 21st Century (Rolling)

Remove this Banner Ad

They are all defenders, rucks and forwards. Nearly impossible to win them. They are excused like GAS and Carey for not winning Brownlows.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
So your rule ONLY applies to midfielders, which by definition, includes rucks

So your rule ONLY applies to midfielders, which by definition, includes rucks

I think everybody knows Rucks don’t win them. Not sure what this issue is here.

But Dangerfield has won a Brownlow, Gary Ayres Medal AFL, Leigh Matthews Medal, and is also the 3rd highest Brownlow vote getter in the history of the game. You are so inconsistent. Make up your mind about the selection criteria

You know what sorry, I didn’t realise pendles was in the team. Swap him for Danger and Johnson at HF.

Well I've learnt something today. If you excel in a good club you get marked down as an individual because you could not possibly have performed at the same level elsewhere. From his first game at a club that wasn't tipped to make the 8 in 2007 Selwood showed he had it all, but you know better. When Selwood willed Geelong over the line in games where they didn't deserve to win, we shouldn't give Joel credit.

Between 2009 and 2014 he was consistently rated in the top 10 AFL players

Team of the century(so far) isn't for 'top 10 players', it's for the very best.

Nobody is denying he was good. He just wasn't THAT good.

You have to compare their whole careers. Not just cherry pick a few things.

Selwood has Swan well covered.
It’s hardly cherry picking. Brownlow, Coaches award and Leigh Matthews (the players MVP) are the 3 major official awards awarded to the the best player of the year. Swan winning all 3 and although Selwood got close he has no AFL official award given to him as the best player in the league in any particular year.

Pendlebury also won the coaches award along with a Norm Smith.

if you’re comparing CV’s I’m not sure the courageous award tops those.

They let you back in😩

So tell me what awards do Max Gawn, Nick Riewoldt, and Corey Enright have?
Max Gawn won the 2018 coaches award, best player in the league according to the coaches.

Nick Riewoldt won the Leigh Matthews trophy in 2004, best player in the league according to the players vote

An exceptional CV and probably my next in line. But you should compare to that of pendlebury and swan who did not play in as amazing a side

Pretty simple for mine, to be honest. Pendles plays half back now and is already on the interchange. Put him at half back, take Stewart out and put Selwood on the bench. Stewart has been phenomenal since he started, but his CV is nothing compared to Selwood's.

That'd be what I'd do anyway :)

This

Johnson had nearly identical possession figures to Aker with the added bonus that he kicked way more goals.

No way should Aker be in a forward pocket and Johnson not
Exactly. Akermanis only averaged over 2 goals a game for one season in his career at 2.2. Johnson did it 6 times with his highest at 2.9.

johnson average possessions per game were also slightly higher then akers.

Pretty simple for mine, to be honest. Pendles plays half back now and is already on the interchange. Put him at half back, take Stewart out and put Selwood on the bench. Stewart has been phenomenal since he started, but his CV is nothing compared to Selwood's.

That'd be what I'd do anyway :)
Neither pendlebury or selwood should be anywhere near the backline.

stewart deserves a nod in the back 6. 4 starting all australians in 6 years is phenomenal. No defender has that sort of strike rate. Only injury will stop him from getting another 2.

I explained it in the comment. Too many better mids push him out and he’s not damaging enough to be a HF. Yes he is better than Johnson but a team has limited positions.

who pushes him out?

rank the best midfiedlers and its ablett, judd, voss Ahead Of all.

then danger, martin, fyfe, buckley and hird are next. Danger will probably end up with the most brownlow votes of all time. Danger clearly ahead of cousins, pendlebury, selwood, black, goodes.

who pushes him out?

then danger, martin, fyfe, buckley and hird are next. Danger will probably end up with the most brownlow votes of all time. Danger clearly ahead of cousins, pendlebury, selwood, black, goodes.

1. Ablett, Judd.

2. Hird, Voss, Buckley, Martin.

3. Pendles, Selwood, Black, Goodes, Danger, Fyfe, Risciutto.

My personal tiers. Would be interesting to see others; hard to split the very best of the best as all the above are.

Last edited:
It’s hardly cherry picking. Brownlow, Coaches award and Leigh Matthews (the players MVP) are the 3 major official awards awarded to the the best player of the year. Swan winning all 3 and although Selwood got close he has no AFL official award given to him as the best player in the league in any particular year.

Pendlebury also won the coaches award along with a Norm Smith.

if you’re comparing CV’s I’m not sure the courageous award tops those.
Selwood could easily have been given the norm smith In 2011. No real difference in terms of performing in big games.

And selwood averages more brownlow votes per game then pendlebury. career outcomes are more important then stringing the best single season together. And selwood arguably has that anyway given he came second in the brownlow one year.

1. Ablett, Judd

3. Pendles, Selwood, Black, Goodes.

4. Danger, Fyfe, Risciutto.

My personal tiers. Would be interesting to see others; hard to split the very best of the best as all the above are.
Well thats just ridiculous. As a geelong fan danger is ahead of selwood. Danger has arguably been the best player in the comp in a couple of seasons. Pendlebury, selwood, black have never reached that level in any of their seasons.

and danger will end up with more brownlow votes then all of them so he has better comsistency too. Higher peak. More consistency. You cant argue with any of this.

you are either letting terrible bias cloud your judgement or you are just a terrible football judge.

ps. Having fyfe so low is also stupid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well thats just ridiculous. As a geelong fan danger is ahead of selwood. Danger has arguably been the best player in the comp in a couple of seasons. Pendlebury, selwood, black have never reached that level in any of their seasons.

and danger will end up with more brownlow votes then all of them so he has better comsistency too. Higher peak. More consistency. You cant argue with any of this.

ps. Having fyfe so low is also stupid.

No, I'm good. I rate them as I rate them. Not how you rate them. Crazy how different people think different things.

I reckon your list was absolute dog s**t, but I refrained from insulting your opinion because I'm not an arsehole and it wasn't necessary. All good now though.

In reality, there's really not much between any of the players above. Those tiers are bees dick close. Nothing ridiculous about it.

My team would be

Enright Scarlett Hurn
Hodge Rance S Burgoyne
Pendles Judd Goodes
Dusty N Riewoldt Boomer
Aker Buddy J Brown
Cox Ablett Mitchell
Gawn Hird Selwood Voss

Team 2

D Morris Fletcher Lake
McLeod Taylor H Shaw
Bont Fyfe Buckley
Danger Pavlich Stevie J
Hawkins Lloyd Cyril
Goldy Black Swan

J Riewoldt Jjk Mundy Cotchin
Edit* I forgot swan so JPK is emergency lol

Probably more stewed to my age being slightly more dominant with 2010’s players.

who pushes him out?

Yeah I agree with the Danger comment, so I subbed Pendles out for him. Trying not to be bias but Martin should be in the Ablett, Judd and Voss tier.

Neither pendlebury or selwood should be anywhere near the backline.

stewart deserves a nod in the back 6. 4 starting all australians in 6 years is phenomenal. No defender has that sort of strike rate. Only injury will stop him from getting another 2.

Lol nothing in my comment suggested Selwood should be in the backline. Was a positional change to have him on the bench.

1. Ablett, Judd

3. Pendles, Selwood, Black, Goodes.

4. Danger, Fyfe, Risciutto.

I don't mind your tiered system, but I'd drop no.4.

The players in no.4 are as good as those in no.3.

I don't mind your tiered system, but I'd drop no.4.

The players in no.4 are as good as those in no.3.

Yeah, you're probably right. I was umming and arring about that. But on reflection I think you're right.

You think Joel Selwood has Ben Cousins ‘easily covered’?

Come on now….

I know he’s had a big week and all but…come on….
i really dont get why some rate cousins so highly. His stats and achievements arent as impressive as people make out.

selwood won more ball and was harder at it then cousins and achieved a lot more. Neither were speedy or super elite ball users either. Where does cousins have him covered?

cousins won a brownlow but selwood averaged nearly 20 percent more brownlow votes per game over his career then cousins. So selwood trumps him in brownlow voting.

Last edited:
i really dont get why some rate cousins so highly. His stats and achievements arent as impressive as people make out.

selwood won more ball and was harder at it then cousins and achieved a lot more. Neither were speedy or super elite ball users either. Where does cousins have him covered?

cousins won a brownlow but selwood averaged nearly 20 percent more brownlow votes per game over his career then cousins. So selwood trumps him in brownlow voting.

Well….I think anyone watching the game would recognise that Joel Selwood is not easily a better player than Ben Cousins. He just isn’t.

They are both champions, but to suggest Selwood has him easily covered is over rating Selwood’s ability.

Well….I think anyone watching the game would recognise that Joel Selwood is not easily a better player than Ben Cousins. He just isn’t.

They are both champions, but to suggest Selwood has him easily covered is over rating Selwood’s ability.
did i actually say he had him easily covered? To be honest i think their pretty similar. For mine selwood has been slightly better and has longevity. But in terms of peak ability i dont see any difference.

Edit, apologies, it was someone else who said it.

did i actually say he had him easily covered? To be honest i think their pretty similar. For mine selwood has been slightly better and has longevity. But in terms of peak ability i dont see any difference.

Edit, apologies, it was someone else who said it.

All good - I should have been clearer I was clarifying my initial response.

Selwood could easily have been given the norm smith In 2011. No real difference in terms of performing in big games.

And selwood averages more brownlow votes per game then pendlebury. career outcomes are more important then stringing the best single season together. And selwood arguably has that anyway given he came second in the brownlow one year.
Disagree with you mate, Pendlebury has been probably just about the most consistent player of the modern era.

As a player he has Selwood covered. Selwood has him covered as a leader and Selwood has had the luxury of being apart of better teams then Pendles.

But Pendles has been the better IMO, taking absolutely nothing away from Selwood as both are first ballot HOF players and even with the potential to be Legends one day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back