AFLW AFLW Season 4, 2020 - Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I never saw the second half. Overall Id say we still try to rely on running transition. Our defense looks looser this year without McDonald.
As per what @wintery said - it was like some of the girls forgot there's 4 quarters to a match

Club would've been disappointed with that. They were hoping for over 10k.

Not sure how many others here attended, but looking at their pre-match organisation I would have thought it was a larger crowd than they hoped

They had only 2 gates open:
- Gate 1 which is Moorabool St, city end
- Gate 13/Bob Davis Gate, which I used Gate 13 because I wanted to go to the Cats Shop - the club advertised double discount for members, so thought I'd make use of

At Gate 13 they had it only half open and like 4 people doing the security checks. I got lucky with the line I jumped in because the other line was 50/100m long (back to the netball courts at least) and moving very slowly

They also only opened the lower levels of the 2 wings - should have at least allowed fans to sit in the Ablett Terrace

If they want more to attend, they may want to make it more friendly to attend such as opening the other Moorabool St gate at the river end of the ground which would help move things quicker

Not sure how many others here attended, but looking at their pre-match organisation I would have thought it was a larger crowd than they hoped

They had only 2 gates open:
- Gate 1 which is Moorabool St, city end
- Gate 13/Bob Davis Gate, which I used Gate 13 because I wanted to go to the Cats Shop - the club advertised double discount for members, so thought I'd make use of

At Gate 13 they had it only half open and like 4 people doing the security checks. I got lucky with the line I jumped in because the other line was 50/100m long (back to the netball courts at least) and moving very slowly

They also only opened the lower levels of the 2 wings - should have at least allowed fans to sit in the Ablett Terrace

If they want more to attend, they may want to make it more friendly to attend such as opening the other Moorabool St gate at the river end of the ground which would help move things quicker

Wonder if the changed traffic conditions on Moorabool Street have an impact as well when they close the road off to all traffic while games are on at GMHBA. I can understand it after the game as you have a ton of people all streaming out at once, but is it really needed before the game when people are arriving at all different times?

Wonder if the changed traffic conditions on Moorabool Street have an impact as well when they close the road off to all traffic while games are on at GMHBA. I can understand it after the game as you have a ton of people all streaming out at once, but is it really needed before the game when people are arriving at all different times?

They didn't do that today - maybe they decided to not do that for the AFLW matches this year

They also only opened the gates 30 minutes before the bounce - can you imagine if there was a crowd of 10k, only 2 gates open with 30 minutes for people to get in, buy food/drink and get a seat?

There would have been people still waiting to get in at the time of the first bounce

I think they need to address that and open the gates earlier next week - even an additional 15 minutes would help and not make things so rushed

I was disappointed in O'Connor last year and thought for someone of her experience we would have seen more - I wonder how much losing Dr Hoare to overseas studies played in keeping O'Connor on the list this year?

I could forgive Hickey looking a little stale last year as she was returning from an ACL but she doesn't have any excuses this year

I remember watching McWilliams play for Hawthorn against us in our inaugural VFLW grand final - she looked good but haven't seen her reproduce that form for us.

Hickey is 35 & McWilliams is 34 - they both look like players at the end of their careers. I know that Darby is 29 & Boyd will turn 27 next month, but based on the first 2 weeks of this season, surely they should be given a chance either beside or ahead of McWilliams

!00% on both these points. I don tsee enough from Hickey and I want to cut her slack but am finding it harder and harder when her disposal is poor and her efforts one paced.

And McWilliams is spot on too. I do remember that VFLW granny and she ripped us one - and sincs shes been with us.... not so much.

2 "vets" we really need to stand up and just have not this year.

Im bias as hell but my girl has flogged both of them.
GO Catters

Last edited:
Just saw a Hawks supporter on FB poking fun at our AFLW result. At least we have a team in the competition.
FLogs are gonna flog. Its what they do.

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thankfully it's only a short season. Think we are a fair way off the pace.
I'd rather a longer season so that teams actually have time to grow, development, try/experiment with different game plans & players etc

With the short season, not really a long pre-season & only part-time at that (ahead of the 2019 season, they only had 12 hours per week together for pre-season training sessions, not sure of changes to that ahead of this season), it's not necessarily a lot of time for things to come together especially with a younger team

I would like to see the competition get to the stage where it's a 13 round h&a season - get rid of the conferences, play every team once & yes that means some teams get more home games versus away games but it can be based on a 2-year period where the teams you play at your home ground in Y1 you then play away in Y2

Just thinking that the more opportunities they have to play the better the opportunity to grow & develop

I'd rather a longer season so that teams actually have time to grow, development, try/experiment with different game plans & players etc

With the short season, not really a long pre-season & only part-time at that (ahead of the 2019 season, they only had 12 hours per week together for pre-season training sessions, not sure of changes to that ahead of this season), it's not necessarily a lot of time for things to come together especially with a younger team

I would like to see the competition get to the stage where it's a 13 round h&a season - get rid of the conferences, play every team once & yes that means some teams get more home games versus away games but it can be based on a 2-year period where the teams you play at your home ground in Y1 you then play away in Y2

Just thinking that the more opportunities they have to play the better the opportunity to grow & develop

Don't know why they don't just bite the bullet and go for a full 18 team comp and run it concurrently with the AFL. Both Hawthorn and Essendon have a VFLW side, and pretty sure Port Adelaide have a women's side in the state league over there as well, and there'd be a league in NSW where Sydney can get players from.

Don't know why they don't just bite the bullet and go for a full 18 team comp and run it concurrently with the AFL. Both Hawthorn and Essendon have a VFLW side, and pretty sure Port Adelaide have a women's side in the state league over there as well, and there'd be a league in NSW where Sydney can get players from.

Genuine double headers each week - sounds a good option

I'm thinking this is another reason why the conference system is stupid - our cross-conference matches this season are against Fremantle & Collingwood (2 teams we played matches against last year)

As it stands, at the completion of this h&a season we will not have played against Melbourne in a competitive AFLW match

Surely someone questioned that before the fixture was released - and as they are in the opposite conference to us, there's no guarantee of facing them in the next year (or even few seasons) either

Also wonder when we'll play WCE & St Kilda as the newbies in the other conference

Are we also the only team to play 2 original franchises?

Feels like we've got the raw end of things due to playing finals which was as a result of a quirk in the conference system

So far we've played one of the favourites this season on their home deck, a team who was runners-up the first two seasons, and this week we play a team who has won two of the first 3 seasons. Doesn't get much harder than that.

The thing that struck me, watching at the game.

From the start of the third Q Brisbane just waltzed out of stoppages, centre and general.

Thats where the game was lost. The higher Brissy inside 50 count came because they were able to get the ball in quick and deep and set up behind it.

Fix that lack of pressure on their mids at clearances and we are a much better side.

The thing that struck me, watching at the game.

From the start of the third Q Brisbane just waltzed out of stoppages, centre and general.

Thats where the game was lost. The higher Brissy inside 50 count came because they were able to get the ball in quick and deep and set up behind it.

Fix that lack of pressure on their mids at clearances and we are a much better side.

Wonder if this has anything to do with the fact most of those in at the centre bounces are youngsters and those with "bigger bodies" like Garing and Cranston are generally playing on the flanks or wings.

Would make sense when you consider we won a few clearances at the start of the last term when those two were put into the middle. By then the horse had bolted though.

They also only opened the gates 30 minutes before the bounce - can you imagine if there was a crowd of 10k, only 2 gates open with 30 minutes for people to get in, buy food/drink and get a seat?
I ended up in the long line to get in. Seriously, if you are going to check bags you have to give more than 30 minutes to get into the venue and have a few more gates/turnstiles open. I missed out on my prematch coffee.

Georgie Rankin, Geelong Cats has been charged with engaging in Rough Conduct against Sophie Conway, Brisbane Lions, during the fourth quarter of the match between the Geelong Cats and the Brisbane Lions, played at GMHBA Stadium on Sunday, February 16.

In summary, she can accept a Reprimand with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct with low impact to the head. The incident was classified as a $400 sanction. The player can accept a Reprimand with an early plea.

If that's for the tackle in the last quarter just outside the Lions 50m arc, then there should have been another half dozen as I saw at least one sling tackle by the Lions which went unpunished during the game & now subsequently also

In total 6 charges laid from the weekends play - all available here, https://womens.afl/news/45235/aflw-match-review-statement-round-2

Teague update:

EXPERIENCED defender Anna Teague is hoping to overcome a quad injury in time for Geelong’s must-win clash with Adelaide at GMHBA Stadium on Sunday.

Teague, who has suffered constant back issues during her time with both the Cats and Melbourne, suffered the setback on the Thursday night before the Round 1 clash against Fremantle.

“It’s frustrating, but you can’t do anything but just move on and do what you need to do, and think about what you can control,” she said.

“And then, just collaborate with the physios, with the medical staff, keep the conversations open, and get on with it.”

Teague said much of the frustration comes from knowing missing two games represents a quarter of the home-and-away season.

“That’s exactly what I’ve been saying to people, and there’s certainly an element of frustration there, in terms of the length of the season,” she said.

“But it doesn’t do you any good to dwell on that. You’ve just got to really focus on what you can do each session, and make sure you’re getting all the recovery and rehab in, and hopefully, I can get back as soon as I can.”

If passed fit, Teague looms as the likely replacement if Denby Taylor fails to recover from an ankle injury suffered in the first quarter of the loss to Brisbane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back