Injury All things COVID-19 - including the impact on Season 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who haven't seen it, there's a FB page called 'Bin Isolation Outing' - basic premise is that for majority of peeps who are in self isolation or following the 'stay at home' message, the furthest they may be going from their front door is to take the bin out. So if that's the biggest outing of your week, then why no get dressed up & make the most of the occasion

Or, if you are like this guy - take your tank for a spin...

I'm sure most of you know I work in the hardship department for an energy retailer.

Our boss told us yesterday that Wednesday was the busiest we've ever been in terms of calls received. I've also been told I'm to work exclusively on making outbound calls to customers who have requested call-backs from next week onwards, after working on it all last week. These are people who tried to get in touch with us but since the wait times were so long, they decided to ask to get someone to call them back. We've had about 250-270 accounts on that list all week, but will probably be over 300 when I get in on Monday. And it's only going to get worse.
This is related only in so much as it was a telephone call center,I was registered to phone vote in QLD last Saturday,I made 29 calls between 7AM Friday morning and 5.30 PM Saturday evening and never got through,waiting for the fine to be posted now, they will find staff for that I bet.

My mother has been a social worker for nearly 30 years primarily in child protection. She has faced every kind of situation there is, sometimes when I was a kid she'd just kick us out the kitchen and cry while doing the dishes. I've never seen her her as worried as she is right now.
Those that work in that field are saints,I couldn't do it.

For those who haven't seen it, there's a FB page called 'Bin Isolation Outing' - basic premise is that for majority of peeps who are in self isolation or following the 'stay at home' message, the furthest they may be going from their front door is to take the bin out. So if that's the biggest outing of your week, then why no get dressed up & make the most of the occasion

Or, if you are like this guy - take your tank for a spin...

Love the lid tap at the end

Ummm.... I mean... the United States...

Its the way I took it.

Sometimes its like we have been blessed or kissed on the artefact or something to be born in Australia. We are far from perfect... but boy in such a wealthy knoweldable country ..something has gone seriously wrong when they don't have a version of medicare, NHS call it what ever you want. Canada, Germany, France where ever. I doubt any "western " style democracy doesn't have something. I dread the though of all these people in their hospital surviving only to have to then pay the bill.

Dem V Rep ... both have stuff I don't like ... It's all OK wanting to have the least amount of Government that one needs...but that still is based on the foundation that when its required a fed government will step up and become the leader it is supposed to be.If they really want to be that independent..then what the point of being "United" states... may as well be 50 different countries.

Their image is taking an absolute battering. It never happened like this on West Wing. It never happened like this in Tom Clancy. I saw an interview the other night with a woman who was the adviser on the "Contagion" movie... they brain stormed the outcome but they based all possible outcomes on the presumption that the Fed Government would act and do their job.

I hope Daz is all wrapped up and healthy over there cause I think its going to get worse for them.

Last edited:
I know no one will agree with me but this lockdown is gonna be worse than the virus itself. & you add financial pressures as well!
I'm still working and find myself spending 8 hours on the phone crapping on and annoying people.
My missus has had a week off and when I get home she's so bored she's following me into the the toilet and just crapping on.
It's not good. 6 months!

I do. And I think there will be more suicides than victims of the virus itself.

5aff8149-17d1-46d1-a661-4b953da5f991-jpeg.852374

Can I add a positive in here?

Tim Kelly chose to leave us. West coast paid a kings ransom, based on him being in his prime at 25. That said, his turning 26 this year means that Tim Kelly has a finite window of time to play AFL footy in his
Prime before Father Time brings him back to
The pack.

Coronavirus means that he’s gonna miss a year of his prime footballing time, being the Eagles aren’t getting full value for their trade. Petty thought process from me? Yep. But in this shitshow of A year, I’ll cling to anything. Especially if it’s the eagles being bent over.

Tim Kelly chose to leave us. West coast paid a kings ransom, based on him being in his prime at 25. That said, his turning 26 this year means that Tim Kelly has a finite window of time to play AFL footy in his
The pack.

Coronavirus means that he’s gonna miss a year of his prime footballing time, being the Eagles aren’t getting full value for their trade. Petty thought process from me? Yep. But in this shitshow of A year, I’ll cling to anything. Especially if it’s the eagles being bent over.
Not only is it petty but also the bulk of what we get back is in picks that we might have to spend on kids who we won't really get a chance to see play, or we might have to delist an ok player to draft with possible list restrictions.

I'd say it's too early to call anything

That's a pretty fair call for a few but I wouldn't think it would be a systematic bias. I'm an engineer also but influenced pretty heavily by the scientific method, I think all the people I try to role model are scientists like Feynman and Russell. I guess I'm guilty of thinking everyone I work with holds views like mine, but throughout uni and my working life guys like him seemed a minority. I think this specific psychosis of his is more because he's always been the smartest man in the room and always listened to but he's getting older and has to be more extreme to catch people's attention.

Ah, now that's a whole different issue ... ageing, needing certainty, needing attention ...

As for systematic bias ... need a whole thread to ourselves to unpack that. But in short ... I'd call it culture. Like water, there's a lot around but it's hard to see

My mother has been a social worker for nearly 30 years primarily in child protection. She has faced every kind of situation there is, sometimes when I was a kid she'd just kick us out the kitchen and cry while doing the dishes. I've never seen her her as worried as she is right now.

Kudos to your mother ... bloody tough job ... way harder than kicking and catching a footy.
Wish there were ways to help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the biggest propaganda war we will see in our lifetime.

The Chinese authorities are already changing the narrative, and blame is being asserted elsewhere. At no point have they tried to buy goodwill by supplying medical supplies free of charge. They have allowed supplies of crap quality to be sold and have posed risks to medical professionals. Watch them assert their authority, and at risk initially will be Taiwan and Hong Kong, who are resisting Chinese influence.

Andrew Forrest, is already trying to change the narrative about the virus. He too can go and live elsewhere. $$$$ are showing what he is really made of.

Before we pat ourselves on the back. Has Skomo faced into the fact Chinese flew tonnes of medical supplies out of Australia, and left us vulnerable. Are those individuals still living in Australia, and if they are why are they permitted to be here, as they clearly are not helping Australians. We are not talking of 10 face masks, but rather 90,000 tonnes of medical supplies. Yet this same government tells Australians not to hoard supplies. Massive fail by a government asleep at the wheel.

The boats in NSW and WA, seriously WTF. The Germans want support for their people etc, the same country that was refusing to assist Italy when Italy was on its knees.

Had Australians been allowed to stock up, maybe we would have stock of important medical supplies and not paying 5 or 10 times the price for medical supplies.

And returning travellers, seriously if you cant stay in isolation then you should be at Christmas island.

As for masks, what a serious joke. They help, they might not be 100% but even at 20% effectiveness it is better than nothing. Washing your hands is not 100% effective either, but because there is enough supply of soap and water it is the deemed solution.

People stay safe, and dont believe the propaganda that emanates.

As for the AFL what a joke. It has stoud down the fabric of the competition but continues to pay the players. One in all in. Gill is all about the $$$, show some leadership, for goodness sakes is Chris Scott the only one with a conscious.

I agree with the reprehensible nature of the taking of the supplies, but I think your numbers a re wrong. 90 tonnes yes. 90,000 tonnes is the equivalent wirhgt of 3.5 Statues of Liberty in NY for example. That would take some 20-30 787 flights to move that volume in my brief research.

Again, agree thats its bullshit regadless of number.

GO Catters

Its the way I took it.

Sometimes its like we have been blessed or kissed on the artefact or something to be born in Australia. We are far from perfect... but boy in such a wealthy knoweldable country ..something has gone seriously wrong when they don't have a version of medicare, NHS call it what ever you want. Canada, Germany, France where ever. I doubt any "western " style democracy doesn't have something. I dread the though of all these people in their hospital surviving only to have to then pay the bill.

Dem V Rep ... both have stuff I don't like ... It's all OK wanting to have the least amount of Government that one needs...but that still is based on the foundation that when its required a fed government will step up and become the leader it is supposed to be.If they really want to be that independent..then what the point of being "United" states... may as well be 50 different contries.

Their image is taking an absolute battering. It never happened like this on West Wing. It never happened like this in Tom Clancy. I saw an interview the other night with a woman who was the adviser on the "Contagion" movie... they brain stormed the outcome but they based all possible outcomes on the presumption that the Fed Government would act and do their job.

I hope Daz is all wrapped up and healthy over there cause I think its going to get worse for them.
The issue here, much like home, is that both parties are genuine s**t shows and cant get out of their own ways when in opposition and none of them work for the greater good, only for themselves.

The Trump side needs no explanaiton as to how ****ed up they are, and the Dems are their own worst enemy. They had 4 years to get it together and make themselves a quaity alternative to Trump - instead they bickered and positioned themselves as individuals not as a party - and now it leadership time they roll out 2 x 70+ candidates - good luck connecting with the younger and ethncially diverse masses - notwithstanding having no poilcy links to said massess either.

So the s**t show continues.

AS for the Virus - yeah its not gonna end well here. At least CA and LA has had the stay at home order in place for 3 weeks now. That will keep the curve flatter than NY IMO - but part of that is also due to the wide expanse of LA itself... not as crowded as NY is - still WAY too many people but that sprawl will help slow it. It wont stop it IMO, but the key is to slow it down and manage the carnage not stop it. REmains to be seen if that works.

NY Gov Cuomo is a great leader. He is leading - out there everday and taking control - might not agree with everything he does and says - but by God he's leading and fighting this thing as best he can and hes making hard decisions to best suit his populus. I mean - he's taking Ventilators from hospitals that have them and moving them to hospitals that need them - thats need based medicine and risking being short if it surges in other areas - but he's making the best of bad really siutation.

I see Andrews out there everyday too - he's making tough calls and not sugar coating this. Leadership stands out in times like this. BE happy you have it

GO Catters

The issue here, much like home, is that both parties are genuine s**t shows and cant get out of their own ways when in opposition and none of them work for the greater good, only for themselves.

The Trump side needs no explanaiton as to how f’ed up they are, and the Dems are their own worst enemy. They had 4 years to get it together and make themselves a quaity alternative to Trump - instead they bickered and positioned themselves as individuals not as a party - and now it leadership time they roll out 2 x 70+ candidates - good luck connecting with the younger and ethncially diverse masses - notwithstanding having no poilcy links to said massess either.

So the s**t show continues.

AS for the Virus - yeah its not gonna end well here. At least CA and LA has had the stay at home order in place for 3 weeks now. That will keep the curve flatter than NY IMO - but part of that is also due to the wide expanse of LA itself... not as crowded as NY is - still WAY too many people but that sprawl will help slow it. It wont stop it IMO, but the key is to slow it down and manage the carnage not stop it. REmains to be seen if that works.

NY Gov Cuomo is a great leader. He is leading - out there everday and taking control - might not agree with everything he does and says - but by God he's leading and fighting this thing as best he can and hes making hard decisions to best suit his populus. I mean - he's taking Ventilators from hospitals that have them and moving them to hospitals that need them - thats need based medicine and risking being short if it surges in other areas - but he's making the best of bad really siutation.

I see Andrews out there everyday too - he's making tough calls and not sugar coating this. Leadership stands out in times like this. BE happy you have it

GO Catters
Both countries will need a reset after this Covit-19,My hope for Australia is dump Paris,tell the Frogs to stick their diesel subs where the monkey stuck his peanuts,build some kick ass power stations I don't give a * if there coal, nuclear or gas,build some bloody dams,work out who is going to be responsible for what IE fed or State responsibilities bring back manufacturing and lesson our dependents on China and no more selling assets to communist regimes.I expect Donald will have an order for our new subs before xmas.

Both countries will need a reset after this Covit-19,My hope for Australia is dump Paris,tell the Frogs to stick their diesel subs where the monkey stuck his peanuts,build some kick ass power stations I don't give a fu** if there coal, nuclear or gas,build some bloody dams,work out who is going to be responsible for what IE fed or State responsibilities bring back manufacturing and lesson our dependents on China and no more selling assets to communist regimes.I expect Donald will have an order for our new subs before xmas.
They can start by telling the chinese to stop buying our business’s that are going bankrupt. They caused this, now they are cherry picking the very companies they screwed, so that when this is over they own even more of us. They truly have no shame. They will profit from their lies and deception.

The world needs to grow a spine, tell the CCP to f off, and offer incentives to companies to pull their manufacturing out of china and bring it home. F the chinese government. They are pure scum.

Both countries will need a reset after this Covit-19,My hope for Australia is dump Paris,tell the Frogs to stick their diesel subs where the monkey stuck his peanuts,build some kick ass power stations I don't give a fu** if there coal, nuclear or gas,build some bloody dams,work out who is going to be responsible for what IE fed or State responsibilities bring back manufacturing and lesson our dependents on China and no more selling assets to communist regimes.I expect Donald will have an order for our new subs before xmas.
Those subs are just unbelievable to me. Why does no one care?????
20 billion! Enough to buy every man women and child in Australia a mansion and a Ferrari. & we're spending it on something that everyone knows won't work!
Both sides have got their noses in the trough with this. Time to kick over the trough.
And yes nuclear power! Instead of sending away all our ore and buying it back, we could produce our own low cost, low emmision steel. We have the f**king uranium.
And then we could build subs that actually work. And we could service US subs off the coast of WA.
And yes China FFS. Selfish oppressive country and we let someone who's spying for them and pushing their agendas hard in as a federal MP!
Aren't MP's meant to serve their electorate? Not f**king China FFS.
Another rant.

Kudos to your mother ... bloody tough job ... way harder than kicking and catching a footy.
Wish there were ways to help.
Right now there aren't really, but longer term they always struggle to get anything like appropriate funding. Majority of voters just can't imagine a situation like those horror stories happening to them or a loved, a large number of the ones who can don't want to engage the topic publicly. Often the kids themselves are too afraid, ashamed, or damaged to go out and discuss it in the public sphere even once they're adults. The kids need public advocacy, someone to stand up for them and send help, but because there's not many votes in it politicians will go out and make spending announcements only infrequently and generally for small amounts that don't solve the issue.

They also have the same issue of additional policing resources just inverted. If you hire heaps more police the crime rate will on paper go up, justifying the resources but you'll find that for the most part they've just started cracking down on increasingly petty crimes.

With child protection, they're effectively criminal investigators so when you cut their resources their total case numbers go down and it makes the problem seem like it's under control when in fact they're just letting increasingly heinous crimes go unpunished.

All of this changes on a dime though if politicians think there's votes in it. So the thing that people can do is write to their local MP and ask them what they're doing to fund child protection. If you get asked to do a survey of what you feel is important as a voter, say child protection, If you can get your friends to do the same then the whole conversation can change.

Any indication of a return to work date, or is everything on an indefinite break?
indefininte so far.
LA is on lock down until April 19 at a minimum.
I expec that to go to May 2-3 as well sadly.

And for TV world. shows are being cancelled left and right. The bigger media companies like Disney, Viacom et al are all pulling shows and cancelling stuff.

And when you think its 400k a day for some shows to run.. you can see why.

GO Catters

indefininte so far.
LA is on lock down until April 19 at a minimum.
I expec that to go to May 2-3 as well sadly.

And for TV world. shows are being cancelled left and right. The bigger media companies like Disney, Viacom et al are all pulling shows and cancelling stuff.

And when you think its 400k a day for some shows to run.. you can see why.

GO Catters

You’re ignoring the bigger picture Daz. Some celebrities are having to do without makeup. Their struggle is real.

#PrayForPlainCelebrities

The pack.

Yeah maybe. Problem is though Kelly still has plenty of quality footy left in him. More worrying is how many players near or on the wrong side of thirty we already have (all our important players). Them all missing a year isn’t good.

Yeah maybe. Problem is though Kelly still has plenty of quality footy left in him. More worrying is how many players near or on the wrong side of thirty we already have (all our important players). Them all missing a year isn’t good.
Exactly. Need to make some tough decisions going in to next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back