Grand Slam Australian Open - Day 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully Zverev wraps this up in 3 and rests up. Seems to be moving ok post the Adelaide injury?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I don’t agree Tennis pays well. It’s extremely difficult to get in the top 60-70 of a world sport. That’s what it takes to earn decent coin here, it’s extremely good money at the top but ridiculously hard to get there.
A lot of work from a young age is required. If you can’t crack the top 100 or better you’re struggling big time.
Soccer is far better for pay. You’re an absolute superstar if you’re anywhere near the best 100 players but considered a spud in tennis if you’re below 50.
Even the best 60-70 players in the AFL are considered superstars here and only 1 country with a small population plays it. They earn quite good money not great but aren’t required to travel any significant distance or have to pay for anything.
Tennis players have generally earnt their money. They are mostly brats though!

I don’t agree Tennis pays well. It’s extremely difficult to get in the top 60-70 of a world sport. That’s what it takes to earn decent coin here, it’s extremely good money at the top but ridiculously hard to get there.
A lot of work from a young age is required. If you can’t crack the top 100 or better you’re struggling big time.
Soccer is far better for pay. You’re an absolute superstar if you’re anywhere near the best 100 players but considered a spud in tennis if you’re below 50.
Even the best 60-70 players in the AFL are considered superstars here and only 1 country with a small population plays it. They earn quite good money not great but aren’t required to travel any significant distance or have to pay for anything.
Can also vary based on country. Australian players if they're backed heavily by TA (like Tomic and Kyrgios were) can make a tonne from endorsements that others from much smaller nations can.

Agree with this, that's why I can't understand Bernie being cocky about the money he earns as he'll quickly run out if he can't keep up with the top 50.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What happened in the Zverev match? Idiot yell out on his serve?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Exactly right. 99% of people have no idea what it takes to make a living from this sport. No idea the insane amount of hours one has to put in through their life to make it as a professional. No idea of the money for coaches, rackets, restrings, lessons, driving to tournament, accommodation. And that's just through juniors. Then as a professional you are paying for a coach, maybe a physio/trainer if you are lucky, travel expenses, months and months away from home, loneliness, defeats on a weekly basis, injuries. People see the winner collect 4 million and think there is so much money in the sport. There is not if you are outside of the 60 to 70 rank range. Tennis is one of the most gruelling sports to make a genuine living from when compared to the top 300 basketballers in the world, top 300 golfers in the world, top 300 afl players, baseball players, soccer players, etc.

If you take all the players on the AFL lists that's 400 and something, so the 400th player is making a living from his sport. There is no way the 400th player in tennis is making a living from tennis.

I think I read somewhere too that you only have to be in the top 300 golfers to earn decent money.

The pay gap between the top players and the rest is probably more of an issue in tennis than the gap between male and female players but of course that is not as sexy a topic so gets little media coverage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back