Grand Slam Australian Open (Day 5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Crowd is really pro-Federer. Wouldn't even think an Australian is playing.
I was saying the same thing to my missus. Millman seems like a really nice humble bloke, he's an Aussie underdog and he's giving the greatest of all time a run for his money and the crowd are barracking for Federer? What's wrong with us. Federer has had enough success back the Aussie

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Yeah. Something in between the ears. Almost as if she doesn’t believe herself. The media, popularity etc as soon as she won the US overwhelmed her tbh. She tried to live quietly but that’s hard enough being a world number 1. She has to embrace it.
She ll have to find that passion again, she’s still so young.

Look on the brightside

She now has a few days to hang out with her Twitter shoutout fan!!

I was saying the same thing to my missus. Millman seems like a really nice humble bloke, he's an Aussie underdog and he's giving the greatest of all time a run for his money and the crowd are barracking for Federer? What's wrong with us. Federer has had enough success back the Aussie

Absolutely correct. These fanboi idiots are making themselves look bad and they don't even realise it. It shows you know nothing about the game at all and just cheer the most well known name no matter what. It's a bloody Aussie you morons!, someone who is an Aussie battler, the definition of an Aussie and yet you cheer his opponent because it's Federer. The sooner this nonsense finishes the sooner we can get back to proper tennis fans hopefully.

Not to mention what is going on in Australia right now how on earth can you think you should cheer for someone else over an Australian?. It's totally ridiculous.

Absolutely correct. These fanboi idiots are making themselves look bad and they don't even realise it. It shows you know nothing about the game at all and just cheer the most well known name no matter what. It's a bloody Aussie you morons!, someone who is an Aussie battler, the definition of an Aussie and yet you cheer his opponent because it's Federer. The sooner this nonsense finishes the sooner we can get back to proper tennis fans hopefully.
Yep. And we bitch and moan for years that Tomic and Kyrgios are w***ers and we don't like their attitude and we have noone to support. Millman wins a few and noone is interested. I bet if Kyrgios were playing now he'd be getting more support.

I like Federer and often barrack for him but not against Millman for goodness sake. I don’t get it either.
It shows how clueless people really are and just latch onto the most popular thing. If I was there I would be calling these guys out for what it is. Wouldn't care if I drew attention to myself.

It shows how clueless people really are and just latch onto the most popular thing. If I was there I would be calling these guys out for what it is. Wouldn't care if I drew attention to myself.

Wimbledon last year was the biggest disgrace in the final

I like Federer and often barrack for him but not against Millman for goodness sake. I don’t get it either.
yep. But I will say that we are not the only ones. It is a worldwide thing.

A couple of more thoughts. I am a Halep fun. can't deny it. but I am happy she lost the 2018 AO in hindsight. Woz deserved that grand slam. Kudos to the on-court interview asking if Ons Jabour knew that it was Woz last game. Thank god he was there to tell her :rolleyes:

Ons is from Tunisia. Let that sink in and what a wonderful story she is. unique in this sport.

Sakkari really loves this open and its fans. We have all the Greek support now. She has a winning record v Kvitova as well.

Is it ever going to finish though? Real tennis fans are losing interest and I can't see anything changing the way the game is promoted these days as an entertainment event rather than a tennis tournament.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's even filtered into the commentary box. Talking about ways that Federer can get on top of Millman. FFS he can work it out for himself he doesn't need guys massaging his shoulders telling him it will all be OK eventually. Appreciate the way Millman is playing not how badly Federer is playing. He has got these guys wrapped around his fingers.

I’m like that with Rafa. I’m his biggest fan but when he plays an Aussie I always go for the Aussie over him. It just feels wrong not to go for your own countryman even if it is over your favourite player in the world.

I have to admit I have barracked against Nick a few times (against Seppi was one occasion but I was barracking for Nick at the beginning of the match) but it's because I don't like him much as a person and his antics just put me off. I will always support him in a team event though (Davis Cup and so on). He and Tomic are the only Australians I haven't barracked for on occasion.

Is this whole barracking for Federer ahead of a gritty Australian the old cultural cringe, i.e. our inferiority complex means we feel more important if we barrack for a champion rather than one of our own?

Tiley should have allowed Millman to play this on Melbourne Arena instead of in front of the champagne sipping corporates. Would have been a different crowd and support!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back