Autopsy Autopsy. Just stop the game Gil. These fools are criminals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Some big overreactions here. I expected this result, should've been 100+ loss, but that will happen to us against teams like Pies, Dees, Cats and Swans.
We're many years behind those teams who've built a system and got games into their kids and continuity in who is playing where.
Everything just went wrong defensively with adding McKay in and poor turnovers cost us but that will happen learning a new system.
I'd like to see Archer/Bergman/Goater/Perez over Howe/Shiels/Turner types but its a bit of a balance right now. I can see Clarko wanting to be more competitive with senior guys in this first part of the year so the group feels like they're in more games.
It showed our wing depth and speed/endurance is not up to it. We're gonna need 3-4 years of drafts and time to play those kids to 50+ games before we're ready to play finals. Enjoy the ride and get bloody excited about Comben and Sheez. And Stevo looks like a different player under Clarko.

The zoning has worked more than it hasn't, and the midfield strength kinda suffered once our second best mid broke his hand lol.

Personally never thought it looked like we gave up, we were just out pressured and our gameplan was exploited to hell and back. Oh, and they're an outright better team.
We arent hunting in numbers, it’ll come. But if a man leaves to apply pressure another needs to move into whete he was then another player needs to move where he was. It’ll happen eventually but too often one player moves out of zone to apply pressure to the ball carrier and a team mate never covers it. Thats a rolling zone, occasionally it happens but its not there yet. I have no idea what Nobles was ******* teaching pur boys. Its almost like 2 years of doing ZERO defensive zone work.

Clarko's being realistic about our development and people are potting it. If you really can't handle it mate, turn the footy off till 2025
Didn’t we play off with Brisbane for the spoon 6 years ago? They have been in finals the last 4 years from memory. So all up it will be a 10 year rebuild. not clarkos fault we weren’t able to turn it around as quickly as Brisbane

Didn’t we play off with Brisbane for the spoon 6 years ago? They have been in finals the last 4 years from memory. So all up it will be a 10 year rebuild. not clarkos fault we weren’t able to turn it around as quickly as Brisbane
If you count 2019 2018 as a rebuilding year. 9th is too high a finish to classify as part of a rebuild imo. Certainly didn't feel like a rebuilding year. The way I think of it is, the soft rebuild started after 2016. The hard rebuild started after 2019 during 2020 and was partially forced, with a massive covid shaped spanner thrown into the works

Last edited:
If you count 2019 as a rebuilding year. 9th is tok high a finish to classify as part of a rebuild imo. Certainly didn't feel like a rebuilding year. The way I think of it is, the soft rebuild started after 2016. The hard rebuild started after 2019, with a massive covid shaped spanner thrown into the works

Edit: s**t, appears we delisted all those blokes after 2020, not 2019. That's a surprise to me. And it looks like I got my years mixed up with ladder positions too lol. 2018 was 9th, 2019 we finished 12th
1681785629109.png

COVID's the catalyst for that cluster* of catastrophe, though. I've said it on here before.

Shaw was a capable coach until COVID and the hub hit.

No COVID, no hub.

No hub, no mental breakdown and hospitalisation for Shaw.

No mental breakdown and hospitalisation for Shaw, (likely) no administrative crisis.

No administrative crisis, no hiring of Nobles.

No hiring of Nobles, we (likely) don't end up as the worst team since mid 90s Fitzroy, because from the sounds of it, he didn't do a thing right during 2022.

I don't blame Shaw for this. He wasn't perfect but there's a massive asterisk next to his tenure. We started 2020 with two stirring wins and his back end of 2019 was reasonable.

Brisbane had been rebuilding since 2010, they hadn't made the 8 since 2009.

So
5 or 6 years
Ok

mr-bean-waiting.gif

You are focusing far too much on the coach
Our issue is the Board the Admin the AFL the DRAW the Tassie games
The Daw and Brown fiascos when they were big news
All of Archers publicity
The just desperate recruiting

Topped off by the JHF drama and the TT saga

the Saints are doing well with the cards they have been dealt
At the moment
I have every hope Clarko will turn us into a competitive team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So
5 or 6 years
Ok
In 2017 they finished last, like we did last year.

In 2018 they finished 15th.

In 2019 and 2021 they were in the eight - 5th.

In 2020 and last year they were 4th.

So my take away from that is Clarko expects finals by 2024 or 2025.

I've heard this stuff for years dating back to Brad Scott.

The reality is we were the 6th oldest team on the weekend and being at the ground, we just couldn't go with them.

At the start of the season we had Goater, Bergman, Curtis in the team. All have since been dropped. Whilst not perfect, those guys are all quick and I felt played well and gave us good run early in the year.

Someone above said our lack of wing depth was exposed. Goater played a fantastic first game off a wing last year, we moved him to half back then back to the VFL.

I understand the need for some experience but we cannot play Cunnington, Greeenwood, Shiels, Turner, Howe, Ziebell, McDonald in the same team. Then throw in young guys who are medium pace but constantly turn it over in Scott and Taylor.

It will be an interesting selection this week. That was an appalling result from an experienced team.
If we hear the "backing these guys in to respond" and "easily fixed" or the only change is In:Curtis Out: Powell , we really haven't come very far and are destined for another terrible year and beyond.

Concerning that playing a side with so much experience is ‘five to six’ years off.
Not really, those with that experience will likely be gone by the time we challenge

We were both near the bottom of the mountain in 2017. Only difference was that Brisbane were climbing it and we were sauntering down. Before making the finals in 2019, Brisbane had won 55 games from 198 across 9 years (which included wins in the foundation years of Suns and GWS, tarp-laden Port and post-tank Demons - In 2011-12 the standard of these teams was putrid). I wouldn't say they had a quick rebuild at all, and they probably never plumbed to the depths we did.

We've also got a playing list for whom the majority haven't had a decent coaching system for four years. LDU, Taylor, Scott, Larkey, Zurhaar, McKay, TT have all played 50-100 games, but have never been coached properly until now.

Last edited:
I've heard this stuff for years dating back to Brad Scott.

The reality is we were the 6th oldest team on the weekend and being at the ground, we just couldn't go with them.

At the start of the season we had Goater, Bergman, Curtis in the team. All have since been dropped. Whilst not perfect, those guys are all quick and I felt played well and gave us good run early in the year.

Someone above said our lack of wing depth was exposed. Goater played a fantastic first game off a wing last year, we moved him to half back then back to the VFL.

I understand the need for some experience but we cannot play Cunnington, Greeenwood, Shiels, Turner, Howe, Ziebell, McDonald in the same team. Then throw in young guys who are medium pace but constantly turn it over in Scott and Taylor.

It will be an interesting selection this week. That was an appalling result from an experienced team.
If we hear the "backing these guys in to respond" and "easily fixed" or the only change is In:Curtis Out: Powell , we really haven't come very far and are destined for another terrible year and beyond.
Devil's Advocate I will say a few things:

Firstly - I have seen similar comments (particularly around Goater, Berg etc) on here recently. Whilst I agree in principle it is well worth considering that we do not know the state of players physically. There is the possibility that for example Goater / Bergman might have not been in the AFL because there were concerns physically about them and as they are seen as future long term players the club is protecting their assets.

Secondly - With regards to bold, I agree it will be interesting. As far as being an appalling result from an experienced team, whilst this is accurate it's largely a fait accompli - we know our experienced team isn't good enough which is why we're in the position we are and have an all new coaching team.

I think some patience is required as frustrating as that is - the football department is essentially brand new and needs to work through their process, it is likely that much of what has been done before has muddied the waters or detracted from what they are now trying to implement.

We'll probably lose at least 3 of them just this year. Ziebs, Cunners, Goldy, Shiels all OOC
Yep.

We are likely to have a major drop in age and experience over this year and definitely end of season. In 18-24 months our senior core will be players LDU, Simpkin, Larkey, Zurhaar, Logue, McKay hopefully providing a talented set of experience to support a lot of younger talent in the 21-25 year range. Realistically that's when we should be expecting to make real consistent headway.

We've been calling it the Reacha Round but lets be honest we didn't even get one against the Brions.
Mate they raw dogged us …no lube

Remove this Banner Ad

Back