Recommitted Bailey Smith [signs two year deal to 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

He certainly looked damn good in the TAC Cup final, and I can understand why you would say that. He was bloody outstanding.

The great news is he was a mad Blues fan growing up, and we got first dibs on him if he decides to return home.

I sincerely (mostly) hope sticks around at Gold Coast for the long haul, having a successful and popular team on the Gold Coast would be fantastic for the league and code in general (from a wide, non club biased perspective)

Still I love Walsh, I think he is the next Joel Selwood personally (minus the ducking)

Honestly

The whole 'he was a mad XXX supporter as a kid' thing needs to stop.

Historically shown to have zero influence on player decisions.

These are grown men in a serious business. They dont make decisions on who they went for as a kid.

So no you dont have 'first dibs'.

Player trades are usually based on
  1. money
  2. perception about possible team success
  3. opportunity to play in preferred position
  4. personal relationships with coaching staff and recruiting staff.
  5. trade negotiations/opportunity between clubs

Last edited:
Honestly

The whole 'he was a mad XXX supporter as a kid' thing needs to stop.

These are grown men in a serious business. They dont make decisions on who they went for as a kid.

So no you dont have 'first dibs'.

Player trades are usually based on
  1. money
  2. perception about possible team success
  3. opportunity to play in preferred position
  4. personal relationships with coaching staff
  5. trade negotiations/opportunity between clubs

You did miss the part where I said that I hope he sticks around at The Suns .

FWIW Seems like Gold Coast are building a very talented young core of players up there, and I think he and Anderson should/will re-sign up there, but I am still not sold on Stewie Dew as coach, they would want to had a few more wins and have a lot less thrashings in 2020, or he is goneski.

You did miss the part where I said that I hope he sticks around at The Suns .

FWIW Seems like Gold Coast are building a very talented young core of players up there, and I think he and Anderson should/will re-sign up there, but I am still not sold on Stewie Dew as coach, they would want to had a few more wins and have a lot less thrashings in 2020, or he is goneski.
I feel like the Suns will struggle in 2020 but if they can keep all their players for another 2 years they will be very good.

Clark doesn't belong in the same sentence as the rest. I have rankine as the most talented player of that draft

Wouldn't go that far. I do agree that Clark is the 'Least' talented out of that crop but to say he's not in the same sentence is a bit outlandish. Like Smith he had next to no preseason, yet still put together 18 games and was getting better as the season went on before injury as he built fitness. For a bloke who had hardly taken footy seriously until he was 18 due to his Cricket commitments, thats pretty impressive. However, Smith will be the best player from that draft imo, seriously rate him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wouldn't go that far. I do agree that Clark is the 'Least' talented out of that crop but to say he's not in the same sentence is a bit outlandish. Like Smith he had next to no preseason, yet still put together 18 games and was getting better as the season went on before injury as he built fitness. For a bloke who had hardly taken footy seriously until he was 18 due to his Cricket commitments, thats pretty impressive. However, Smith will be the best player from that draft imo, seriously rate him.

Clark was one the Dogs were watching very closely in WA, and I would've been really keen on him if we had traded down. Probably got held back a bit by glandular fever - reckon he could be a very good player in a couple years

It's not a slight on Clark. It's more that these guys have the ability to be top 15 in the game. I don't think Clarke has that level in him

I rate Jordan Clark, one of my favourites outside of the top 10 of that draft. Don't think I'd trade Smith for anyone (though if given the choice between him and Ben King it'd be a tough one), but Clark is great.

How would you know? It could well be a factor for a lot of players, they just wouldn't mention it as it doesn't sound as professional.

Josh Gibson is one who jumped at the chance to play for the team he supported.

Think about it, you spend 18 years madly barracking for a team and you think players are just going to switch off when drafted elsewhere?

Of course, it's not the be all and end all and the other factors you listed obviously come into play, but you can't discount it entirely.

Josh Gibson is one who jumped at the chance to play for the team he supported.

Josh Gibson jumped at the chance to play for a team that would play him in position and was going places. He was in the 2s at North.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Horseshit. He played 22 games for North in his last season there (and 20 the year before).

True, he was being played as a mid though, as we good defenders.

Anyway, he didn't go to Hawthorn coz he barracked for them as a kid.

True, he was being played as a mid though, as we good defenders.

Anyway, he didn't go to Hawthorn coz he barracked for them as a kid.
Yes, he did. It just wasn't the sole reason. Which is my point. There are many factors to these decisions and playing for the team you supported your whole life would definitely been one, just not the be all and end all.

Yes, he did. It just wasn't the sole reason. Which is my point. There are many factors to these decisions and playing for the team you supported your whole life would definitely been one, just not the be all and end all.

If the other reasons are there, it makes it nicde, like Bailey Scott choosing us over Geelong or GC. But he chose us because we're the club closest to Melb Uni.

Anyway, back to Bailey Smith - kid is a gun, I see him as having more tools going forward than Sam Walsh.

Smith strikes me as a quality finals player Mofra ... just has that build an attack on the footy.

Reckon him and Rhylee West will be the engine room of the Dogs for a decade.

Anyway, back to Bailey Smith - kid is a gun, I see him as having more tools going forward than Sam Walsh.

Smith strikes me as a quality finals player Mofra ... just has that build an attack on the footy.

Reckon him and Rhylee West will be the engine room of the Dogs for a decade.
He can actually burst away from a pack - most of our midfielders are accumulators, but not quick.
Will be interesting to see how he goes after a proper pre-season because he was hampered all summer last year by his achilles.

He can actually burst away from a pack - most of our midfielders are accumulators, but not quick.
Will be interesting to see how he goes after a proper pre-season because he was hampered all summer last year by his achilles.

Yeah, built like a brick shithouse and not backward in coming forward either - key traits in a good finals player.

Engineering
Interesting that the university you study at seems to matter to him.
In my field no one really cares once you get out in the work place.

Was quite disappointed to miss out on Scott at the Suns. Would have shaped our subsequent years to some degree. Doubt we are as heavily into Sharp and subsequent trades that took place.

Without consideration of personal circumstances, I would have been all in on Lukosius / Rankine / Smith at our picks last year. Both Ben King and Smith look like absolute guns though so probably turned out the best for both clubs, especially given Naughton's break out and the surplus of midfielders at the top of this years draft.

My favourite thing about Smith is that he's not afraid to take players on & he has the ability to break out of packs through congestion. Not comparing to him, but he's got the Judd-like explosiveness so if he can get anywhere near as good he'll be fantastic to watch.

This bloke tried to don't argue Sandilands, both hilarious & amazing he had the confidence to try.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back