Prediction Best 22 for Round One, 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on Friday night Markov is no lock for best 22 which is a shame.

Will need to improve and be played in the next 2 games.

Grimes. Astbury. Short
Kmac. Rance. Houli
Bellis. Cotch. Grigg
Edwards. Griff. Rioli
George. Jack. Dusty
Nank. Prestia. Caddy

Conca. Butler. Vlas. Lloyd

That's 9 changes in effect to the team last years due to injuries and form etc which is something I've never had in a best 22 given our usual lack of depth or pressure on players.

Dont think Markov will be out based on just that game. He would have been given a job to do that might have had him sacrifice his own game to keep to his task.

I want him to play all 3 Jlt games and also want Short in the side

Short, Markov, McIntosh, Menadue,Butler, Castagna,Rioli all need to be accelerated in their development - Speed is where the game is going and not just short spurts but all game

All of the above players posses elite speed and endurance and are vital to our future

SHORT>>>>Conca

Have to agree, although Conca was OK I'm not sure why they're playing him as a defender at the moment - might be to give him some less intensive minutes. I'd give Conca more time in the JLT series maybe more midfield and see how he goes there.

Looking at newbies and youngsters Reckon after the first hit out Nankervis, Butler, and possibly Castagna have front running.Along with the two new proven players in Caddy and Prestia.

If we had the depth id say Griffiths would be in trouble as well as Conca and Lennon and oleg looked out of sorts.

If it is based on nothing but preseason form and all slates are wiped clean then after that game all of the following would have their name up to be given first crack, obviously some are yet to play and this could change but at least these guys have put their hands up.

Grigg, Nankervis,Martin,Caddy, Cotchin, Butler, Prestia, Edwards, Astbury, Riewoldt, Rioli, McIntosh, Miles Castagna.

Kpf remains an obvious weakness and same goes for kpd and i know Rance did not play.

Have to agree, although Conca was OK I'm not sure why they're playing him as a defender at the moment - might be to give him some less intensive minutes. I'd give Conca more time in the JLT series maybe more midfield and see how he goes there.

I think Conca is being groomed as Vlaustin's immediate replacement in 2017. I would expect to see Conca in the backline for the Whole JLT series. I actually think he had a solid game. He didn't stand out because he played a predominately defensive role.

For mine there are two main areas of the ground the coaches are genuinely uncertain of atm - small/mid defender and small/mid forward.

Here are my locks for the Backline -
FB: Rance, Astbury, Grimes
HB: Houli ??? ???
HHB: ???

In the small defenders role -
I think they will be looking at either Conca or Short to shut down the smaller forwards if Grimes needs to match up on another forward.
For the rebound defender to support Houli I think it is out of Markov, BEllis and CEllis atm. I would take Markov over the other two but suspect they will go with BEllis even though he seems lost to me when he has to defend or get the ball in congested situations
For the high half back who plays of the High half forward and pushes up the wing as well I would suspect McIntosh has this role sowed up atm but Hunt, BEllis and even Grigg could all play this role.

Here are my locks for the Forwardline -
HHF: ???
HF: # Griffiths #
FF:: Rioli Jack Lloyd

# = Rotating Midfielder including Martin, Caddy, Cotchin, Vlaustin and Edwards.

In the small forwards role -
I think there will be only one High Half forward who pushed up the ground to either act as a link player before pushing back into the F50. I'm actually hoping Griffiths plays this role in 2017. Jack played this in 2016 but I suspect he will play closer to goals in 2017. So atm you have Lennon, Castagna and Butler playing off for the last spot. Menadue may enter the equation later and they may end up having no room for any of them some weeks if they choose to play tall with Nankervis/Hampson/Maric taking a spot.

I think one of these players could start on the bench and move through here or up on the wing depending on the rotation midfielders. Versatility is crucial then with that in mind so someone such as Butler or Castagna who can play up the ground and has the pace to push back or forward when needed to act as link players, would have the edge over Lennon.

This may all change if Griffiths or Lloyd fail to fire and the coaches need to rethink the forwardline structure but at the moment the strength of the forwardline will be Jack, Rioli and the resting midfielders with everyone else just making up the numbers until they step up. It's another reason I fear that Lennon may struggle to find a spot in the team given his current weaknesses. I think his only hope is for Lloyd to have a bad start to the year or the coaches to drop Griffiths and just go with a smaller forwardline.

Overall though I'm pleased to have the problem of too many choices rather than not enough :thumbsu:

Last edited:
The the only thing he has been knocking! He talked about our list and said are Lambert and Morris going to take them forward. Bloke read the delisted list!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
essentially he rated 4 players as 'a' graders - rance, cotchin, dusty and jack - the rest were 'b' or less. he mentioned a couple of the 'b' or less, taylor hunt being one of them

Best 22 can GAGF!

I want best 44!

FFS,EVERY PLAYER HAS TO PLAY THE ROLE OF THE PLAYER WHO GOES OUT..

GTFO with best 22.

Do we want to rise as a club or wilt in the corner like strawberries and cream when a best 22 player gets injured????

Every player has to fill the best 22 otherwise we might as well pack it in.

And everyone should get a participation ribbon at season's end. All MM's should be same colour promote equality, and the men's game should be a curtain raiser to the women's game in season's to come.......

Introduction of GC and GWS ruined the chance of your humble nirvana Smasha - depth of the talent pool just isn't there. Better get used to more best 22's :D

And everyone should get a participation ribbon at season's end. All MM's should be same colour promote equality, and the men's game should be a curtain raiser to the women's game in season's to come.......

Introduction of GC and GWS ruined the chance of your humble nirvana Smasha - depth of the talent pool just isn't there. Better get used to more best 22's :D

Narcissist.:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont think Markov will be out based on just that game. He would have been given a job to do that might have had him sacrifice his own game to keep to his task.

I want him to play all 3 Jlt games and also want Short in the side

Short, Markov, McIntosh, Menadue,Butler, Castagna,Rioli all need to be accelerated in their development - Speed is where the game is going and not just short spurts but all game

All of the above players posses elite speed and endurance and are vital to our future

I liked the speediness of the team. Rioli, Butler & Castagna & Edwards certainly had some toe. However I thought McIntosh started well & seemed to fade a bit and Markov didn't have a huge game. & Menadue is not capable of dominating whole games yet either.

So I'd like to see a 4 or 5 of these quick young players (add in Bolton & Graham too) in the team each week.

They will fade out of games & any more than 4 or 5 young uns in the team affects the overall team performance too much.

The addition of Caddy & Prestia & Nankervis to the list has made the best 22 a very competitive unit & I think the club should be out there trying to win from Round 1 onwards. Caddy & Prestia & Nankervis being IN, & Castagna, Conca, & Butler playing very well means that it will be that bit harder for Short, Markov, McIntosh, Menadue to get games.

We do need to find a position for BEllis (Short or Houli to take that spot) & McIntosh out of the backline, & Lennon did his selection chances no favours with his game. I liked his intensity but I don't know if that would have been good enough had we lost the game.

Last edited:
I liked the speediness of the team. Rioli, Butler & Castagna & Edwards certainly had some toe. However I thought McIntosh started well & seemed to fade a bit and Markov didn't have a huge game. & Menadue is not capable of dominating whole games yet either.

So I'd like to see a 4 or 5 of these quick young players (add in Bolton & Graham too) in the team each week.

They will fade out of games & any more than 4 or 5 young uns in the team affects the overall team performance too much.

The addition of Caddy & Prestia & Nankervis to the list has made the best 22 a very competitive unit & I think the club should be out there trying to win from Round 1 onwards. Caddy & Prestia & Nankervis being IN, & Castagna, Conca, & Butler playing very well means that it will be that bit harder for Short, Markov, McIntosh, Menadue to get games.

We do need to find a position for BEllis (Short or Houli to take that spot) & McIntosh out of the backline, & Lennon did his selection chances no favours with his game. I liked his intensity but I don't know if that would have been good enough had we lost the game.

I have to say that watching the players stream through the middle in a wave was very exciting. It really did remind me of what Carlton's mosquito fleet used to do to us and cut us to ribbons. I think, given the inside strength we now have, we will see a lot more space and speed on the outside in 2017.

Last edited:
Best 22 can GAGF!

I want best 44!

FFS,EVERY PLAYER HAS TO PLAY THE ROLE OF THE PLAYER WHO GOES OUT..

GTFO with best 22.

Do we want to rise as a club or wilt in the corner like strawberries and cream when a best 22 player gets injured????

Every player has to fill the best 22 otherwise we might as well pack it in.
Your actually looking for a best 30 32 or so after all you do need juniors and development players to form a succession plan.

Costagna and Butler are already better options than B Ellis and Hunt :huh:

I'd like to agree because I rate Costagna (Butler would need to see more of yet), but that is just plain silly Maddie.

my side r1

b. Grimes Astbury Short
h. Houli Rance Macintosh
c. Rioli Caddy Grigg
h. Martin Griffiths Vlastuin
f. Lloyd Jack Edwards
r. Nankervis Cotchin Prestia
I. Markov, Butler, Costanza, Maric

my side r1

b. Grimes Astbury Short
h. Houli Rance Macintosh
c. Rioli Caddy Grigg
h. Martin Griffiths Vlastuin
f. Lloyd Jack Edwards
r. Nankervis Cotchin Prestia
I. Markov, Butler, Costanza, Maric

Strong side. We can make finals with that side. If Chol, Lennon or Elton can force Maric out we are looking good

I've updated my team. Out goes Lennon and Bolton and in comes Butler and Costagna

FB short rance grimes
HB markov astbury houli
C butler vlastuin mcintosh
HF costagna griffiths edwards
FF rioli reiwoldt lloyd
FOLL nankervis cotchin martin
INT miles prestia caddy c ellis

I'm quite excited looking at the pace and skill. I can see plenty of wins on the board this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back