Opinion Best 22 in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

What I really hope is that no one is silly enough to put ANY of our fresh draftees into our game one 2018 best 22 after next week. I get the excitement but it just sh.ites me that people legitimately think a talentsed 18 year old should immediately take the place of an experienced player. They are worlds apart. Players like Bolton, Menadue, Balta, Garthwaite, Markov, etc all deserve (and will) be in our Best 22 long before any draftee. You can mount an argument for a mature age recruit or traded in player (hard to keep Lynch out if he's fit for example) but we've moved on from relying on untried teenagers...

...cue someone to create a team of draftees now :p

What I really hope is that no one is silly enough to put ANY of our fresh draftees into our game one 2018 best 22 after next week. I get the excitement but it just sh.ites me that people legitimately think a talentsed 18 year old should immediately take the place of an experienced player. They are worlds apart. Players like Bolton, Menadue, Balta, Garthwaite, Markov, etc all deserve (and will) be in our Best 22 long before any draftee. You can mount an argument for a mature age recruit or traded in player (hard to keep Lynch out if he's fit for example) but we've moved on from relying on untried teenagers...

Higgins went past all those guys you mentioned immediately last year. Agree it shouldn’t be expected, but you can’t rule it out given the right circumstances.

We do tend to have one draftee in the best 22 by the end of the year. Higgins, Graham, Rioli, all recent examples. Higgins and Rioli in particular got games really early. I don’t think it’s beyond reality to see a draftee in the team R1 if we get someone ready made.

Thought it was a best 22 thread not a round 1 preview
Best 22 Thread by the end of the season is very different to best 22 round one. You'd hope to have changes from one season to the next due to players of all age forcing their way into the team as the season progresses but when people name first year recruits for the start of the year I think that's not only disrespectful to the players who have busted their guts for years for the opportunity but also places too much expectation on the kids.

If we name any first year players at the start of the year or multiple first year players by the end of the year, our list is in dire straits. Realistically, I think its very strong so if a player (ie Higgins, Graham, Rioli) are names as the year progresses, it is because they have well and truly earned it over more experienced players.

without a doubt this is our best side that is best performed and at a higher level to others. a lot of these blokes have only been lets say average but they have outperformed others lookin for their spot they arent the most talented in many cases and in some of them we need to be looking for upgrades.

B/ Grimes - Astbury - Vlastuin
HB/ Houli - Rance - Short

R/ Nankervis - Cotchin - Prestia
C/ Lambert - Martin - Edwards

HF/ Rioli - Riewoldt - Butler
F/ Caddy - Lynch - Castagna

INT/ McIntosh - Grigg - B Ellis - Broad - Higgins - Graham.

Thats 24 players and imo 6 or 7 of them are there because there is no one else pushing them out. And a couple are kids not really playing top notch footy who really need to keep improving. If im honest there is only one player left on the list who has performed anywhere near an acceptable level and thats Townsend and that was a purple patch in the 2017 finals otherwise his overall body of work is not up to it either.

If we take a big bodied ready to go mid like Stocker or Ely Smith Valente, O'Halloran then i can see no reason why we would not play them round one if they look ready to go they certainly dont lack the physical attributes.

Thats not being disrespectful to other players already there but is addressing a need.
We dont always play the best players. that is very evident the last two yrs, so why would round 1 be any different to any other round?
Sometimes it is more important to see what kids can offer and put games into kids that we think can take us fwd even if they arent best 22 atm.
Every yr every club does this to varying degrees.

Personally id go

B/ Grimes - Astbury - Vlastuin
HB/ Rance - Balta - Markov/Broad/Houli

R/ Nankervis - Cotchin - Prestia
C/ Lambert - Martin - Edwards

HF/ Rioli - Riewoldt - Butler
F/ Caddy - Lynch - Bolton/Castagna

INT/ Higgins - Graham - Grigg - ELY SMITH/STOCKER ???

Last edited:
B: Grimes, Astbury, Vlastuin
HB: Short, Rance, Houli
C: Edwards, Cotchin, Lambert
HF: Butler, Reiwoldt, Rioli
F: Caddy, Lynch, Bolton
R: Nankervis, Martin, Prestia
I: Higgins, Grigg, Broad, Graham

B: Miller, Garthwaite, Naish
HB: Markov, Balta, Menadue
C: Taylor, B.Ellis, McIntosh
HF: English, CCJ, Townsend
F: Baker, Moore, Castagna
R: Soldo, RCD, Ross
I: Chol, Aarts, Weller, Egg-Smith?

Plenty of young talent to watch in the VFL next year!

B: Grimes, Astbury, Vlastuin
HB: Short, Rance, Houli
C: Edwards, Cotchin, Lambert
HF: Butler, Reiwoldt, Rioli
F: Caddy, Lynch, Bolton
R: Nankervis, Martin, Prestia
I: Higgins, Grigg, Broad, Graham

B: Miller, Garthwaite, Naish
HB: Markov, Balta, Menadue
C: Taylor, B.Ellis, McIntosh
HF: English, CCJ, Townsend
F: Baker, Moore, Castagna
R: Soldo, RCD, Ross
I: Chol, Aarts, Weller, Egg-Smith?

Plenty of young talent to watch in the VFL next year!

Will be a very talented, exciting but inexperienced VFL midfield next year. I don't think we can expect to perform as well as a VFL side as a result. We still have more hardened and solid bookends but getting it down to the forwards will be more difficult. I am hopeful they throw Townsend into the middle more next year, as a hardened insider.

Broad in defence robs us of run. Houli will get fazed out at some point. Round 1 team:

Grimes Rance Vlastuin
Short Astbury Markov
Bolton Cotchin Prestia
Edwards Lynch Higgins
Butler Reiwoldt Rioli
Nankervis Martin Lambert
Caddy Graham Mcintosh Balta

Balta can play anywhere

(Log in to remove this ad.)

T
Best 22 in the seniors,, from the backline

Short--- Astbury--- Grimes
Houli---- Rance ----Vlaustin
Rioli -----Dusty ------ Ellis
Sheda--- JR8-----Bolton
Butler----Lynch-- Caddy
Nank --- Cotch--Prestia
Inter- Balta---Graham---Lambert---Higgins
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reserves best 22 from the backline
Egg,smith--- Garth ---- Broad
Markov-------Miller----Kmac
Naish ---------R.C.D --Menadue
Aarts ---- Moore ------Weller
Towner-----C.C.J ---Castagna
Soldo -----Ross ---- Baker
Inter - Chol----English---Turner--- Grigg
-------------------------------------------------------------
Wow we have great depth thats for sure

Round 1 team
B - Broad Rance Grimes
HB - Houli Astbury Vlastuin
C - Ross Martin Balta
HF - Lambert Riewoldt Rioli
F - Caddy Lynch Butler
R - Nankervis Cotchin Prestia
I (from) - Higgins RCD Short Edwards

RCD hits the gym November 24 and with Ross trains the house down.
See how we go without McIntosh, Grigg for a while. Good players but might do better with Balta who can play across the whole ground. By the end of the year Houli and/or Ellis might be out. So interesting transition time. Menadue & Markov are not best 22 yet, and I know selectors like to play new recruits. I reckon it will be RCD and Ross. Butler for George.

Last edited:
AFL
B: Grimes Astbury Broad
HB: Short Rance Vlaustin
C: Mcintosh Martin Edwards
HF: Rioli Riewoldt Caddy
F: Butler Lynch Higgins
Foll: Nankervis Cotchin Prestia
Int: Lambert Graham Houli Grigg

VFL
B: Morris Garthwaite Miller
HB: Markov Balta Naish
C: Ellis Baker Menadue
HF: Aarts Moore Castagna
F: Bolton Coleman-Jones Townsend
Foll: Soldo Collier-Dawkins Weller
Int: Ross Turner English Chol Eggmolesse-Smith

Pretty handy depth in my opinion. Plenty of players in that VFL team I’d happily see in the AFL team. Only player that we lost that I could see being a good AFL player for us was Stengle.
Think we have a really well rounded list to contend now but also be well placed for the future.
Being a destination club that attracts free agents whilst keeping our draft picks is going to help keep this great club stay at the top.

B - Broad Rance Grimes
C - McIntosh Martin Edwards
F - Caddy Lynch Butler
I (from) - Higgins Graham Castagna Grigg Balta Bolton Menadue Markov
This for mine as well.
Only thing is and it’s just speculation, the 666 formation may result in more one v one quick entries from the centre bounce.
So having Garthwaite in could get Rance onto a mid/small to marshall the troops and read the play.
Also, I think Balta might be a good chop out for centre sq bounces and wingman.
Nothing too complicated with running patterns or playing in a def system.
Just go and get the ball and get it forward.

B: Grimes Astbury Vlastuin
HB: Broad Rance Houli
C: Ellis Cotchin McIntosh
HF: Caddy Riewoldt Edwards
F: Rioli Lynch Butler
R: Nankervis Martin Prestia
INT: Higgins Short Graham Lambert

Depth 22

B: Eggmolesse-Smith Garthwaite Miller
HB: Menadue Balta Markov
C: Turner Weller Naish
HF: Collier-Dawkins Moore Castagna
F: Baker Coleman-Jones Bolton
R: Soldo Grigg Ross
INT: English Townsend Aarts Chol

Well balanced list that allows us to play the same game style in both the AFL and VFL sides. Should also make it easier for those who come into the senior side to slot into the side knowing exactly what they are required to do.

B: Grimes Astbury Vlastuin
HB: Broad Rance Houli
C: Ellis Cotchin McIntosh
HF: Caddy Riewoldt Edwards
F: Rioli Lynch Butler
R: Nankervis Martin Prestia
INT: Higgins Short Graham Lambert

Depth 22

B: Eggmolesse-Smith Garthwaite Miller
HB: Menadue Balta Markov
C: Turner Weller Naish
HF: Collier-Dawkins Moore Castagna
F: Baker Coleman-Jones Bolton
R: Soldo Grigg Ross
INT: English Townsend Aarts Chol

Well balanced list that allows us to play the same game style in both the AFL and VFL sides. Should also make it easier for those who come into the senior side to slot into the side knowing exactly what they are required to do.

So we lost some depth hey?

That depth side looks delicious on paper

Reckon Balta might be a year or 2 away. Needs to synthesise poise with his dare, currently he’s making too many mistakes at reserves level which will get exposed in the seniors.
What are everyone’s thoughts about Garthwaite replacing Broad? Might free up Grimes to play more of a running defender role and give us more flexibility in match ups. Garthwaite is AFL ready but suffers from being considered a depth player. We need Markov, Menadue and Bolton to put some pressure on the seniors. My concern is that our talent isn’t yet proven and therefore our depth might be an untapped issue

B - Broad Rance Grimes
C - McIntosh Martin Edwards
F - Caddy Lynch Butler
I (from) - Higgins Graham Castagna Grigg Balta Bolton Menadue Markov
Like this selection of players...jeez and we still have some exciting up and comers!

Reckon Balta might be a year or 2 away. Needs to synthesise poise with his dare, currently he’s making too many mistakes at reserves level which will get exposed in the seniors.
What are everyone’s thoughts about Garthwaite replacing Broad? Might free up Grimes to play more of a running defender role and give us more flexibility in match ups. Garthwaite is AFL ready but suffers from being considered a depth player. We need Markov, Menadue and Bolton to put some pressure on the seniors. My concern is that our talent isn’t yet proven and therefore our depth might be an untapped issue

Broad is a lock down defender. As is Garth. So it is like for like there. I don't think that change would free Grimes. In fact Grimes must keep just playing against both tall and small. Vlas & Rance are such good readers of the ball, they have to stay in the back 6. So got to find more run out of Short, Houli, Ellis or someone else. The next in line Menadue choked this year. Markov can run and he is probably in line to replace someone. McIntosh? I would play Ellis in the middle.
Maybe completely rejig the fwd line to have 3 talls Astbury, JR & Lynch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back