Best Goal Of All Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddys goal against the Bombers in 2010 where he ran and bounced a few times and kicked it from 45 on the boundary.

Buddys goal against the Bombers in 2010 where he ran and bounced a few times and kicked it from 45 on the boundary.

Full marks for athleticism, but he's just running at open space and the finish is great, but have seen a lot of goals slotted from the boundary. Amazing goal but best ever? Not for mine.
Here's my challenge with this one, he kicks that goal because he is incredibly fast and the opponent chasing him is not. The finish is fantastic after the run, but we see boundary line finishes a fair bit, they pop up a lot.

Compared to say the Akermanis goal(s) against Geelong, which are better goals for mine. And others too.

Last edited:
this isn’t too shabby. the full back no less:

I’m confused just like you,

Well I suppose he was technically born in Greece and would be a Greek citizen right? He accepted being placed in the Greek team of the century and it wasn’t forced on him.

He also would have parents that are Slavic Macedonian with that background. So technically he’s Greek Slavic Macedonian the way my friend is Kenyan Australian.

So confusing, good player but overrated in my opinion none the less. I saw Daryl White kick a goal just as good as any of Daicos’ at the EJ Whitten’s legend match the other night.
You need to improve your bait lol

seemingly effortless for ablett

Not known as God for nothing.
I not seen the video recently but there is some video of him in a state game where on his wrong left side he easily evades some WA player on his hammer sidesteps and boots a left foot 65m goal like he shelling peas.

Close thread.

Yeah there’s some incredible goals in this thread but I don’t think we’ve ever seen anything like Buddy’s. Its different to other running goals in my opinion.

Giant forward crumbing the ball and taking multiple bounces then to finish off with a kick from a tough angle.

Was absurd.

How about posting a video of it in the OP?

Honestly how hard would that have been?
Look it up yourself, how hard is it to find a Daicos video on youtube? How hard is it?

Also, i have zero idea how to post a youtube video, i thought only rich people could do that.

Look it up yourself, how hard is it to find a Daicos video on youtube? How hard is it?

Also, i have zero idea how to post a youtube video, i thought only rich people could do that.

just cut and paste the web address

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here’s a head scratcher for y’all:

If the least liked and least talented player in history kicked the best goal in history, would everyone recognise it as such?

Reckon it’s pretty easy to shift perspective for or against depending on the reputation of who performed the action

Fair point, Ablett's 'Mark of the Century' would not have been a mark had it been any other player.

I think there's an element of that to it, but there's also the fact that the more highly talented players are more likely to kick these goals.

I said as much in Rd 14 where Charlie Curnow's (OMG FUTURE STAR) mark beat Taylor Duryea's (average battler) for Mark of the Week due to this year's collective boner being for Curnow.

Im going off on a bit of a tnagent here and Im not a huge soocer fan these days as oppoed to I was when I was younger..

But on SBS last night I saw the best, most skillful goal I think I've ever seen on a soccer pitch.

Higgins goal this season, nothing else comes close in terms of the actual goal itself. Been far better situational goals with a better story, though.

seemingly effortless for ablett
He started at the Cats as I reached my mid-teens, so I saw most of his games live and as an adult. He was a true marvel.

Incredible power.
Explosiveness beyond anyone I have ever seen - inc. today's players 30 years later.
Speed to burn.
Sublime skill - could kick 50 on both feet with ease (and 65 plus on the right) - on the run or set shot. Snaps at goal, regularly out of the ruck, at full tilt - anything you have seen a player do and thought, "Gee that was a amazing", Gary did weekly and with more dynamism.

He flew like a missile and his hands were like a vice - except when he was plucking one-handers - which was pretty often actually, esp. as he got older, stronger and wear and tear took its toll (his shoulders were shot through the 90s, which is why you see him taking so many screamers on his chest).

Heaven help you if you got in his way when he was alight. He was nothing short of a battering ram who pummeled players.

I have never felt crowd electricity like we did (dozens of times a game) whenever the ball came near him. Everyone would cheer in expectation and he almost always pulled off something amazing.

Looking back it seems that he kicked goal of the week and took mark of the week every, single, game. And that probably isn't too far off the reality.

Just a wonder.

He started at the Cats as I reached my mid-teens, so I saw most of his games live and as an adult. He was a true marvel.

Incredible power.
Explosiveness beyond anyone I have ever seen - inc. today's players 30 years later.
Speed to burn.
Sublime skill - could kick 50 on both feet with ease (and 65 plus on the right) - on the run or set shot. Snaps at goal, regularly out of the ruck, at full tilt - anything you have seen a player do and thought, "Gee that was a amazing", Gary did weekly and with more dynamism.

He flew like a missile and his hands were like a vice - except when he was plucking one-handers - which was pretty often actually, esp. as he got older, stronger and wear and tear took its toll (his shoulders were shot through the 90s, which is why you see him taking so many screamers on his chest).

Heaven help you if you got in his way when he was alight. He was nothing short of a battering ram who pummeled players.

I have never felt crowd electricity like we did (dozens of times a game) whenever the ball came near him. Everyone would cheer in expectation and he almost always pulled off something amazing.

Looking back it seems that he kicked goal of the week and took mark of the week every, single, game. And that probably isn't too far off the reality.

Just a wonder.

the two Ablett's are just a couple of reasons I have a soft spot for the cats. The cats of late 80s early 90s period was something very special.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back