Traded Brad Hill [traded with future 3rd to St Kilda for Acres, #10, #58, future 2nd and 4th]

Who won this trade?

• Fremantle

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Cool, you’ll miss another player then :)

4 might be overs, but he’s contracted for 2 years still.
As you said, 4 is overs. I get he's contracted but no one outside of GC is silly enough to pay that for an outside wingman. He'd be a late first if he were out of contract. His contract may land you a mid first but not a top 5 pick.

It works both ways. If Freo want pick 4 then they would have to find something to add to the deal.

St Kilda have pick 4 as the ladder currently sits. It's really not Freo's concern if that's a bit overs. Trading up a few spots in the first round at the expense of Hill is a terrible outcome for them. If St Kilda don't want to trade their first round pick for Hill then don't trade it, but if you want a pick back it will be 25-30+.

St Kilda have pick 4 as the ladder currently sits. It's really not Freo's concern if that's a bit overs. Trading up a few spots in the first round at the expense of Hill is a terrible outcome for them. If St Kilda don't want to trade their first round pick for Hill then don't trade it, but if you want a pick back it will be 25-30+.
Or we could do something like I suggested beforehand like turning pick 3 or 4 into two first round picks and sending one to Freo.

As you said, 4 is overs. I get he's contracted but no one outside of GC is silly enough to pay that for an outside wingman. He'd be a late first if he were out of contract. His contract may land you a mid first but not a top 5 pick.

It works both ways. If Freo want pick 4 then they would have to find something to add to the deal.

No, I said it might be overs, but it’s what you’ll pay to get him.
If he wasn’t contracted, it would be a pick around 10-12. AA form (squad at least) and could be a dual B&F player.

If you trade 4 for a mid and late 1st, we’d take your mid 1st and your 2nd too.

As I said, contracted for 2 years.

No, I said it might be overs, but it’s what you’ll pay to get him.
If he wasn’t contracted, it would be a pick around 10-12. AA form (squad at least) and could be a dual B&F player.

If you trade 4 for a mid and late 1st, we’d take your mid 1st and your 2nd too.

As I said, contracted for 2 years.
Fair enough mate. No point arguing back and forward with you.

Sounds like Hawks, Melbourne and Saints are all into him. All might end up with a top 5 pick. I'd be surprised to see any of them give that up in a straight swap.

I think if we were to swap our first with Giants two (11 and 13) one of those would get the deal done.

Sounds like Hawks, Melbourne and Saints are all into him. All might end up with a top 5 pick. I'd be surprised to see any of them give that up in a straight swap.

I think if we were to swap our first with Giants two (11 and 13) one of those would get the deal done.
I appreciate you fighting the good fight on your board but short of Brad Hill publicly declaring he cant play for Freo anymore (which I seriously doubt happens), why would we accept pick 11? You seem to agree that he is worth pick 10ish, there is just no way we take fair value for losing Brad Hill with 2 years to run on his contract. As seen by Carlton and Geelong in recent years, clubs arent afraid to make players see out their contract, or hold onto them if they dont like the offer.

With the money and draft picks available to the clubs that will really want him (Dogs, Dee's and Yourself), a top 10 pick will be the minimum requirement to even start discussions. If that means he stays with us for another year, so be it. I reckon we can get pick 10ish next year anyway

I appreciate you fighting the good fight on your board but short of Brad Hill publicly declaring he cant play for Freo anymore (which I seriously doubt happens), why would we accept pick 11? You seem to agree that he is worth pick 10ish, there is just no way we take fair value for losing Brad Hill with 2 years to run on his contract. As seen by Carlton and Geelong in recent years, clubs arent afraid to make players see out their contract, or hold onto them if they dont like the offer.

With the money and draft picks available to the clubs that will really want him (Dogs, Dee's and Yourself), a top 10 pick will be the minimum requirement to even start discussions. If that means he stays with us for another year, so be it. I reckon we can get pick 10ish next year anyway
That's fine. If he stays he stays, but as I've said, I can't see anyone giving up a top 5 pick for him. If Freo hold him to his contract then that's just bad luck for him.

That's fine. If he stays he stays, but as I've said, I can't see anyone giving up a top 5 pick for him. If Freo hold him to his contract then that's just bad luck for him.

Clubs should start holding players to contracts more often tbh. Don’t think it’ll come to that, but players need to understand what they’ve signed up for sometimes.

Regardless, hopefully he just doesn’t want a trade & stays.

Won’t be trading a top 5 contracted player for a speculative future first.
Are you seeing the Saints shooting up the ladder next season? Regardless, we can on-trade that pick. But, in the end, you are right. If you want to pay a fortune to a top player, in contract, then you will need to cough up a top trade deal.

The other thing is that in terms of the actual draft, the club would need the pick to be comfortably ahead of where a bid for Henry might happen.

Would be a massive loss for the Dockers if it happens.

2018- Lose their best and one of the elite inside mids of the competition ie. Lachie Neale.
2019- Lose their best and probably the competitions best outside runner ie. Brad Hill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think he will be at the Hawks. As I’ve heard from someone that Hawthorn might not be able to accommodate the salary that Hill wants which is going to be well over 500,000. He is certain to come back to Melbourne with St Kilda and Carlton the likely options.

Would be a massive loss for the Dockers if it happens.

2018- Lose their best and one of the elite inside mids of the competition ie. Lachie Neale.
2019- Lose their best and probably the competitions best outside runner ie. Brad Hill.

2017 they turned Weller into pick 2.

2018 they turned Neale into Lobb and Hogan.

2019 they could turn Hill into...? Only likely one I can see is Tim Kelly and you could argue him and Fyfe in the middle is better/worse than Fyfe plus Hill on the outside.

Are you seeing the Saints shooting up the ladder next season? Regardless, we can on-trade that pick. But, in the end, you are right. If you want to pay a fortune to a top player, in contract, then you will need to cough up a top trade deal.

I don’t see any reason why they couldn’t? They’ve been in a lot of games this year. if you add back Steven hopefully McCartin comes good & then Hill with natural development of a few of they kids now, no reason they couldn’t push finals.

Plus if we lose hill, you’d want to get immediate replacement in. A pick 4 playing round 1 would be our best case.

I have heard its 85% chance he will go to the Dogs, have not seen many of his games this year. Is he playing wing or midfield?

Outside on the wing. Run & carry is elite and is regularly putting up big numbers.

He’s a little soft, which a lot of people complain about, but wingers don’t need to be hard at the footy.

Be a great get for you guys if you could.

I wonder if Freo would inquire about naughton.. wouldn’t think Dogs would consider, but just be interesting

Fremantle will not get Pick 4 for Brad Hill. I’ll trade pick 4 to GWS and end up with pick 9 and 13. I’d then on trade those picks to Freo plus Acres and a second round next from the Giants and the Saints. For Hill, Langdon, Pick 26 and Freo 2nd round next year.

Trade
Freo get:
Acres, Pick 9,13, GWS and STK 2020 second round

STK get:
Langdon, Hill, Pick 26 and 2020 Freo 2nd round.

I think that’s fair. That gives Freo two second rounds that if they turn into picks this year they can match a bid for McHenry. They also get two first rounders and good utility.

The Saints get two important midfielders and also get into the draft at 26. They also get a second round next year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Outside on the wing. Run & carry is elite and is regularly putting up big numbers.

He’s a little soft, which a lot of people complain about, but wingers don’t need to be hard at the footy.

I wonder if Freo would inquire about naughton.. wouldn’t think Dogs would consider, but just be interesting
Naughton signed a four year deal a couple of months ago, is probably as untouchable as the Bont.

We desperately need outside run. Hence our interest in Hill/Isaac Smith/Jack Martin. If we get one of them I'm not sure we chase the others as we also need a mature tall.

We currently have one of the shallowest midfields in the comp and our team is missing its CHB, CHF and FF. While Naughton will be a superstar he wouldnt improve our list to the same level a Kelly or other midfielder would.

Also, given the Dogs KPP stocks, I'd argue you have more chance of them letting go of Bontempelli then Naughton. If we suggested Naughton, they would stand up and walk out the room

Last edited:
We currently have one of the shallowest midfields in the comp and our team is missing its CHB, CHF and FF. While Naughton will be a superstar he wouldnt improve our list to the same level a Kelly or other midfielder would.

Also, given the Dogs KPP stocks, I'd argue you have more chance of them letting go of Bontempelli then Naughton. If we suggested Naughton, they would stand up and walk out the room
If someone asked for Bontempelli there would be a riot let alone just a walk out of the room haha

I think he'll end up at Carlton on a four year deal, and we'll bring his brother over as a FA.... but I have no idea what we will have to trade for him (aside from Adelaides first pick, and our 2020 first rounder).

Back