Traded Braydon Preuss [Traded to GWS for Pick #31]

Remove this Banner Ad

King Kunta

Team Captain
Jun 30, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
A lot was said about his decision to choose Melbourne when he left the Roos in 2018. He can't play in the same side as Max Gawn and with the emergence of Luke Jackson, I think his prospects of regular games have actually worsened this year.

Pruess played against Collingwood yesterday and showed he's still capable at AFL level. At 25, would another club look to bring him in for more senior opportunities?

Last edited by a moderator:

He’s worth nothing

dees would be better off keeping than losing him for a token late pick

They wouldn't trade him for a token pick, they can just keep him as depth for his contract.

Would be able to pry something out of a Geelong/GWS/Sydney(?) if they want a ready made AFL standard ruckman.

Preuss is the dumbest bloke in the AFL. Went from being stuck behind an ageing Goldy at North to being stuck behind a younger Gawn at Melbourne.

If he actually wanted to play games of AFL, that was the dumbest club to choose.

GWS should be all over him after they got toweled up Thursday night by Sinclair! GWS have lots of trade currency too

It would depend on what the Dees wanted for him. I think he'd be a decent bit of trade bait to the right team. I'd like the Swans to have a look at him personally. But you haven't played him enough to exactly increase his trade value.
On top of that, another season in the 2's would just drive his value down even further at the end of 2021 if you held onto him for another year.

At a guess, I'd say you'd probably get a pick in the 35-45 region just because he's at the right age, plays in a position of need for a few clubs, and is a partially known quantity

Hard to judge on the game v. the Pies as not many players can go with Grundy.

He broke even in the ruck with Grundy in the first half and then got touched up a bit in the second half. Grundy also had 7 clearances for the night.

So the knock on Preuss at the moment would be follow up work after the tap and running out a game.

He hasn't played much at AFL so potentially he can improve the running out a game part but would need to given only short quarters in play at the moment.

Demons remaining games are Dogs, Saints, Sydney, Fremantle, GWS & Essendon. Nothing much to fear ruck wise in that run home. If Preuss plays he would want to be winning the ruck most weeks. Where is Gawn at fitness wise?

They wouldn't trade him for a token pick, they can just keep him as depth for his contract.

Would be able to pry something out of a Geelong/GWS/Sydney(?) if they want a ready made AFL standard ruckman.

Aren’t you guys overpaying him?

He’s worth a 3rd rounder at best unless he shows more than just being competitive.

15 games across 6 seasons. His trade value was plummeting by the season at North and he is worth even less now. A pick in the 70s is about it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aren’t you guys overpaying him?

He’s worth a 3rd rounder at best unless he shows more than just being competitive.

If Preuss is on above average money then that might need to take a lower pick to get him off their books, but I don't know how much he is on. It would also depend on Melbourne's cap and re-signing situation. Melbourne have a lot of players out of contract this year, most of whom are low to mid tier players, so they could probably hold onto Preuss just by letting some other fringe players go. I don't think they'll be under any cap pressure this year.

Goodwin said he trained this weekend and is likely to be playing next weekend. So who knows if Preuss gets another game while Gawn is playing. They may keep him in the lineup for a couple of weeks to lighten the load on Gawn.

One and done for Preuss then if Gawn is back already. Doesn't give suitors much of a look.

From what I've read/heard, he's being paid average first ruck money despite being a back-up (which is potentially why he went to Melbourne despite Gawn already being there). I can see him having value for a side where he'd be the starting ruck (potentially my team Brisbane especially if Martin retires).

Can't see him having much trade value, especially if the team is taking on his full salary for another 2 years.

From what I've read/heard, he's being paid average first ruck money despite being a back-up (which is potentially why he went to Melbourne despite Gawn already being there). I can see him having value for a side where he'd be the starting ruck (potentially my team Brisbane especially if Martin retires).

Can't see him having much trade value, especially if the team is taking on his full salary for another 2 years.

If he's on a starter's salary then that might complicate things and drive down his value a bit. Maybe a late 2nd/early 3rd, but I doubt the Dees would take that offer. They also don't really need to unless they have a target in mind already that could get with a pick in the 40's. It might be that they decide to trade another player for a pick in the 30's/4o's and then package both picks for a player they need. But who knows.

Preuss might require a few other moves to happen before he moves, if that's what he and Melbourne want in the first place.

You have to question if Preuss really wants a proper footy career. If he did he would be heading to the Giants or Cats.

He can also make a nice living hiding behind Gawn and Jackson in the twos.

Exactly what I was thinking.

2 years ago people on the other Brayden Preuss thread were talking about a 1st rounder and as i said then and will say again
Free to good home if somebody has a spare room.

Trade Value = 0

Probably similar situation to witts when he left Collingwood?

Except he’s clearly an odd ball and lacking any of the leadership qualities that witts has.

think witts was traded for pick 50 or something, obviously been a bargain for the suns. reckon Melbourne could ask for a pick around 40 if he plays half decent whilst Gawn out

That he would be worth as much as he probably is says a lot about the quality of big men available. At most clubs he performed well enough to hold his spot..will he?

If he is serious he asks for a trade..at 25 he is what he is and some clubs would pay something for him, unlike a mid of his talent.

If he moves he need to be given a season as the number 1 to have a shot at proving himself./ No use at all changing clubs for another backup role

Remove this Banner Ad

Back