Traded Brendon Ah Chee [traded to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Hang on, hang on. You’re claiming umpiring bias against your side in a game that your team won solely because of a dodgy free kick given to a serial ducker on the siren?
Hahaha get off it mate, we aren't going to argue about the umpiring in a game from a month ago in a trading thread. I was just pointing out the irony of your fellow intellectual Port buddies calling us "loosers".

halrious? Glad someone will remember that game no one else will. End result was neither team won the grand final so who cares?

Also who is gonna want to join the flogs? Ah chee is as good as you will get this year. Enjoy having the weakest midfield in the comp next year.
Halrious? You blokes are just trying to fit the stereotype now, right?

Interesting that, no team can ever use bragging rights again unless they win the flag that year, cheers for clarifying that one for me. I'm sure a lot of people will remember that one mate, we both know you won't forget it.

Lol, what do you mean the AFL won’t ‘let us’? You think if your club sits back and says fourth rounder or nothing that the AFL is gonna step in and force a trade?

He’s only been on the list for 6 years, so he’s not a free agent. He’s been offered a contract, so he’s not a delisted free agent. West Coast offer us something worth taking or they take the risk that he falls to them in the draft. Pick 66 isn’t worth the ink it would take to sign the contract.
Pick 66 has more chance of cracking the best 22 of Port than Ah chee according to your own analysis, you have such a stacked midfield after all, why even bother keeping him on the list if he can't manage to play more than 6 games after 6 years? Can't see it changing next year.

ITT: Schulzenfest uses all of the words talking about West Coast fans holding grudges over Brad Ebert. There is no bad blood, we traded with Port a year later when you gave Lewis Stevenson a second chance for a token pick.

Not sure why the passionate urge to talk down Brad Ebert. He averaged 16.3 touches a game in his career at West Coast, not 13.6. He averaged 19.1 touches a game in 2010 (his third year), and was moved to a HF role in 2011 where he got less of everything except marks inside 50 and contested marks. Played every game in 2010, 22 of 25 in 2011. He was hardly destined for the scrapheap. Jackson Trengove was out of the 22 for the finals this year. Would you have given him away for free without a FA compo pick?

Also not sure what any of this has to do with Brendon Ah Chee. 6 years on the list for 27 games and has never been best 22 in any season.

halrious? Glad someone will remember that game no one else will. End result was neither team won the grand final so who cares?

Also who is gonna want to join the flogs? Ah chee is as good as you will get this year. Enjoy having the weakest midfield in the comp next year.
The weakest midfield that did you at home, twice.

The port blood has everything to do with it

He was always only ever going to come to us. You never were going to have a chance to convince him to stay or go elsewhere had you not been able to make a trade

As for the third round pick thing that is absurd

Either

a) your list management team didn't want the pick and included it to grease the wheels

B) your list manager included it in the deal

C) this story you have where port bullied your lost manager into the swap. In which case your list manager caved

All three of these things point to one place to direct your offended over this.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the family thing. Yes he had strong connections to Port, but that shouldn't mean we are automatically expected to receive less in a trade for him. I'm sure GC wouldn't be offering us a discount on Matera if we were chasing him.

I'm also not saying our list managers aren't soft, but that doesn't mean I appreciated Port bending us over and taking us dry. You're kidding yourself if you don't think they used the threat of the preseason draft to leverage their position. In a way, I envy that kind of strength, as it helped you guys get a great deal. But in saying that, it should also mean that you shouldn't expect any favours in return.

If a pick 13 that played 76 games in 4 seasons can drop in value to 28 and a downgrade in the 3rd round, surely it's unreasonable to suggest that a pick 45 that has played 27 games in 6 seasons has somehow retained his value and is still worth pick 48.

Look at the Vardy trade we made last year, he was originally a pick 42, but after 7 seasons and 25 games was traded for pick 72. He also at least had injuries as a reason for not playing consistently, whereas Ah Chee has been fit and yet still hasn't been able to find his way into the team.

]
If a pick 13 that played 76 games in 4 seasons can drop in value to 28 and a downgrade in the 3rd round, surely it's unreasonable to suggest that a pick 45 that has played 27 games in 6 seasons has somehow retained his value and is still worth pick 48.

That's really what it comes down to, they seem to think we should do them the favour of offering a similar pick to the one used on Ah chee originally (in a compromised draft I might add), when he's averaged 4.5 games a year in the 6 years since they picked him up. At the same time they say with a straight face that a first round pick who averaged 19 games a year in his first 4 years and finished top 10 in our B&F was only worth a late 2nd plus a downgrade in the 3rd.

Laughably hypocritical, the bloke will also fall one spot further back in the pecking order next year with the addition of Rockliff, clearly is nowhere near best 22 and wants to take opportunities elsewhere to make use of his limited time as a footballer, after 6 years of service at Port. Can't say he hasn't tried to crack best 22 either, almost won the Magarey medal this year missing a third of the season. Really cannot see Port forcing him to the draft, would be an absolute indictment on their club and how they treat their players, but I wouldn't be surprised after Kochie's performance when they shat the bed.

WCE want Ah Chee because he fills a need, ie big bodied mid.
Port are willing to let Ah Chee go because we have that position covered, but won't just give him away.

Is Ah Chee's value determined by how much WCE need him or by how much Port lose by letting him go?

Seems to me that as WCE is doing the paying, their need for his type of player will determine the price they pay. If they need him bad enough, then pick 48 will be the price. If not, I wonder if we'll blink?

WCE want Ah Chee because he fills a need, ie big bodied mid.
Port are willing to let Ah Chee go because we have that position covered, but won't just give him away.

Is Ah Chee's value determined by how much WCE need him or by how much Port lose by letting him go?

Seems to me that as WCE is doing the paying, their need for his type of player will determine the price they pay. If they need him bad enough, then pick 48 will be the price. If not, I wonder if we'll blink?
As far as I know we didn't publicly announce we were going after Ah Chee, but he publicly announced he was looking for opportunities elsewhere, followed by nominating west coast as his club of choice. His value is determined by his contract status; no contract, his standing at port adelaide; purely depth 6 years after being drafted, his original draft value; 45 in a compromised draft.

The guy has given 6 years of service, done his best to crack best 22 and for whatever reason the coach has decided he doesn't cut it. His contract has finished and has nominated a club where he will get more opportunities to utilise his limited time as a footballer. The least Port can do is help him get to where he wants to go, and take a reasonable draft pick instead of being greedy and trying to squeeze everything they can out of a guy who has tried his best for them but hasn't made the cut.

As far as I know we didn't publicly announce we were going after Ah Chee, but he publicly announced he was looking for opportunities elsewhere, followed by nominating west coast as his club of choice. His value is determined by his contract status; no contract, his standing at port adelaide; purely depth 6 years after being drafted, his original draft value; 45 in a compromised draft.

The guy has given 6 years of service, done his best to crack best 22 and for whatever reason the coach has decided he doesn't cut it. His contract has finished and has nominated a club where he will get more opportunities to utilise his limited time as a footballer. The least Port can do is help him get to where he wants to go, and take a reasonable draft pick instead of being greedy and trying to squeeze everything they can out of a guy who has tried his best for them but hasn't made the cut.
I'm interested to see what we get for him. There are a few inside mids floating about (miles for one). And WCE do need one.

Sorry, but i don't think you've convinced me that his value to WCE is a token pick. I do think his value to Port is a token pick, but if we can sell him for more to someone who needs him, we should.

As you've said, this will come down to how much he is valued by both parties.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm interested to see what we get for him. There are a few inside mids floating about (miles for one). And WCE do need one.

Sorry, but i don't think you've convinced me that his value to WCE is a token pick. I do think his value to Port is a token pick, but if we can sell him for more to someone who needs him, we should.

As you've said, this will come down to how much he is valued by both parties.
As an uncontracted player who has nominated a club of preference, you don't have much room for movement. He's made the decision to nominate west coast after considering both gold coast and fremantle's offers, so I think you will have a hard time convincing him to sign with them just so port can get a marginally better pick in return, when the offer west coast made to him is clearly better than the others.

The least Port can do is help him get to where he wants to go, and take a reasonable draft pick instead of being greedy and trying to squeeze everything they can out of a guy who has tried his best for them but hasn't made the cut.

Oh stop being sanctimonious. Every club acts in their own self interest and tries to gain more or give up less. I guarantee that one party blinks during this trade period and it's all a matter of who blinks first. There's nothing wrong with trying to position your team for the best deal though.

Lol if his value to west coast is pick 66 or being a delisted free agent then I feel terrible for west coast. why would you want a guy who should be delisted on your list hahaha ****ing loosers. A guy who's value is a delisted free agent is your biggest get of the trade period. Hahaha

Glad port can get big names. Anyday of the week I'd welcome rocky over a delisted free agent.

Stop being s dick.

The Eagles have several players they have identified to use their 3rd round pick on and in the case of Ah chee Port have zero leverage.

So why would any club pay overs for a player they dont need to pay overs for?

Why would they weaken their draft position and miss out on another player they want to improve the list. Eagles 3rd round picks have shown more than recent 2nd rounders so it is a valuable pick.

We took Priddis a Cox as rookies so you dont need top picks all the time but you dont give them away for goodwill to clubs like Port who treat other clubs poorly in trade negotiations.

Then again the Eagles seem to blink first at the trade table. Hopefully someone there has grown some balls.

I agree with every word of this. Where we differ is that I wouldn’t consider pick 66 to be a ‘reasonable draft pick’.

Pick 66 will be pick 68 at least after Compo picks get added.

Teams will start passing on the draft around 20 picks before then. It would be no different taking pick 102 from them.

Its entirely possible port does trade ah Chee for a nothing pick purely out of the kindness of their hearts, and that is exactly what it would be. He is absolutely well worth a pick from 40 onwards in this draft. He is a player that port is better off keeping but he wants to go for more opportunity and good on him. Port fans will wish him all the best.

The sheer fact west coast fans think he isn't worth pick 50 which is what their draft pick will be after compo picks is laughable. You should take that and run.

Your worst case scenario with ah Chee is he only improved like 5% and becomes a solid fringe mid with a big body and some highlight reel moments while you develop other mids and you forget about him as soon as he is gone

He improves 10% you get a cult figure mid who is a long time stalwart of your engine while never becoming a star

He improves greater than that and you have a special player you never forget.

For the record, Port have history of sending players to the draft. Nick Stevens and Ben Jacobs were both sent to the draft rather than accepting unders for them despite them being uncontracted, and taking a stand with those two cost us a lot more than pick 66.

That said, Stevens and Jacobs were both campaigners whereas Ah Chee seems like a good bloke who’s justifiably seeking more opportunity, so we may be more generous with him.
So much carry on over a SANFL player - why not just rookie a few WAFL players and avoid the transition issues with a new home.

No idea why the said SANFL player wants to leave and has nominated WC.

Lol if his value to west coast is pick 66 or being a delisted free agent then I feel terrible for west coast. why would you want a guy who should be delisted on your list hahaha ****ing loosers. A guy who's value is a delisted free agent is your biggest get of the trade period. Hahaha

Glad port can get big names. Anyday of the week I'd welcome rocky over a delisted free agent.
The irony of someone who can't spell loser calling people losers.
What a loser.

The weakest midfield that did you at home, twice.

He clearly said the weakest midfield next year.

Unless “West Coast’s Player of the Finals” Matt Priddis and Sam Mitchell have reversed their retirement decisions he’s bang on. Wouldn’t have got close without those two in the elimination final.

Really sad to see Arch go, he was one of my favourite players on our list and was never given a fair crack if you ask me.
Might not make it with WC either but he deserves a shot at it, and Port don't have much of a case for adequate compensation. Really hope we look after Brendon, and eventually we will accept a 4th rounder or thereabouts. I'm not too happy with that transaction but it's largely the club's fault for underusing him anyway.

We are staunch but fair traders historically, contrary to some rabid WC fan's opinion based off a 2011 deal when Port was on it's knees with little picks to show for one of the most pathetic seasons in recent memory. We were in a rightfully strong position to bring home a player that should've been a FS pick anyway.

Ah Chee is a hardworking clubman who was almost in tears during the BnF. He will give his all, I hope WC do right by him and get him to fully realise his potential.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back