Traded Brodie Grundy [traded to Sydney for #46 and F2]

Remove this Banner Ad

I wanted grundy but after hearing the comments made in the papers I'm glad he passed on us with that attitude

Grundy was keen to explore the club’s views on work-life balance and, as first reported by Sam Landsberger of the Herald Sun, more attracted to the lifestyle in Sydney and the opportunities it could present outside of football.

Port Adelaide's DNA is fundamentally different to Sydney's and believes its core responsibility is football and the expectations from its passionate fanbase demand this.

If Im Demons im going ALL IN and I mean ALLLLLLL IN on Hayden McLean

Id invite his dog over for a play date with Simon Goodwins dog so Haydens dog feels comfortable with moving to the Demons, never mind the rest of the details. If im Demons I then go in with a overpay for Hayden McLean. Something like Grundy + pick 23 for McLean works

If Im Demons im going ALL IN and I mean ALLLLLLL IN on Hayden McLean

Id invite his dog over for a play date with Simon Goodwins dog so Haydens dog feels comfortable with moving to the Demons, never mind the rest of the details. If im Demons I then go in with an overpay for Hayden McLean. Something like Grundy + pick 23 for McLean works
McLean just signed a 4 year contract, and on the field he is a second string ruck who isn’t very good at it (better as a forward).

Grundy will ruck full time, Hayden will stay forward most of the time

There’s no chance he moves

McLean just signed a 4 year contract, and on the field he is a second string ruck who isn’t very good at it (better as a forward).

Ah didnt see he just signed on. I think thats what Demon need though

Back to Chol they go I suppose

McLean has to be one of the most under-rated players. I watched a lot of him this year. The fella has sticky hands, bucket loads of courage and can kick a set shot goal. It would suck to see him shouldering the ruck duties, but he will thrive as a key forward with Grundy as the #1 ruck.

McLean has to be one of the most under-rated players. I watched a lot of him this year. The fella has sticky hands, bucket loads of courage and can kick a set shot goal. It would suck to see him shouldering the ruck duties, but he will thrive as a key forward with Grundy as the #1 ruck.

Yep he’s shown signs the last few seasons but really stepped up in 23

He’s one of those heart and soul workhorses who will give his everything every week

If Grundy in means he can stay predominantly forward it will be a massive win for us

I would pay the pick 22. May be overs but I just want the deal to get done rather than squabbling over second and third round picks.

I won't cry if we pay pick 22 but given that Melbourne only paid pick 27 for him a year ago and he's a year older with a year less to play for us, I think pick 30 (or whatever it becomes) is a much more reasonable starting point. Plus, yes, we really need and want him, but this is being driven largely from the other end: Brodie doesn't want to be stuck in the VFL and Melbourne don't want to be paying $650K+ PA to someone to play in the VFL. So really, it wouldn't surprise me if we get Brodie for a 3rd rounder assuming Melbourne isn't picking up any of the salary (which I naturally assume they wouldn't be).

Think this trade is win/win.

22 for Grundy will tie it up nicely, Melbourne's cap gains space, Sydney get Grundy, Melbourne can forward the pick for Chol from GC potentially.

22 for grundy will do. Chol wont cost 22 he will be a r3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I won't cry if we pay pick 22 but given that Melbourne only paid pick 27 for him a year ago and he's a year older with a year less to play for us, I think pick 30 (or whatever it becomes) is a much more reasonable starting point. Plus, yes, we really need and want him, but this is being driven largely from the other end: Brodie doesn't want to be stuck in the VFL and Melbourne don't want to be paying $650K+ PA to someone to play in the VFL. So really, it wouldn't surprise me if we get Brodie for a 3rd rounder assuming Melbourne isn't picking up any of the salary (which I naturally assume they wouldn't be).
How does the Pies salary dump work.

Can Demons transfer that Pies debt over to Sydney or will Pies get rid of the debt and Sydney take over the whole contract?

How does the Pies salary dump work.

Can Demons transfer that Pies debt over to Sydney or will Pies get rid of the debt and Sydney take over the whole contract?
Sydney would only take over Melbourne's portion. Paying Grundy more than that themselves only helps Collingwood, not Grundy.

Sydney would only take over Melbourne's portion. Paying Grundy more than that themselves only helps Collingwood, not Grundy.

I don't think that's quite right. Brodie is entitled to what he negotiated with Collingwood. When they decided to trade him, he was still entitled to the same financial terms and didn't have to agree to the trade and presumably wouldn't have if he was going to take a pay cut. Collingwood decided it was worth their while to pay a portion of his salary to get the rest of it off their books. They are committed to paying that now, come what may I would expect (unless, perhaps, he retires early). Brodie is still entitled to be paid the same amount as ever. Currently Melbourne has the obligation to pay him that amount (I'm guessing it's Melbourne, not still Collingwood). Again, presumably he wouldn't agree to a trade unless it was for the same money (although, although, in this case he is getting away from being stuck in the VFL so he would have some extra motivation but he still wouldn't need to take a pay cut because he has plenty of suitors). That said, by agreement, the terms of his contract could be changed in either direction I would think. He could agree to take a pay cut, we could agree to give him a pay rise, we could renegotiate the length of his contract. Anything would be possible by agreement. However, my expectation would be that we will just honour his contract (i.e. the contract he currently has with Melbourne and the Pies will remain on the hook for their bit).

22 for grundy will do. Chol wont cost 22 he will be a r3.
Why would Sydney give pick 22 when Melbourne paid with 27? I’d assume a pick around 30 u less Melbourne make a salary contribution.

Afterall, the guy is fully fit and playing VFL and another year older.

And now there is only 1 suitor.

Last edited:
I don't think that's quite right. Brodie is entitled to what he negotiated with Collingwood. When they decided to trade him, he was still entitled to the same financial terms and didn't have to agree to the trade and presumably wouldn't have if he was going to take a pay cut. Collingwood decided it was worth their while to pay a portion of his salary to get the rest of it off their books. They are committed to paying that now, come what may I would expect (unless, perhaps, he retires early). Brodie is still entitled to be paid the same amount as ever. Currently Melbourne has the obligation to pay him that amount (I'm guessing it's Melbourne, not still Collingwood). Again, presumably he wouldn't agree to a trade unless it was for the same money (although, although, in this case he is getting away from being stuck in the VFL so he would have some extra motivation but he still wouldn't need to take a pay cut because he has plenty of suitors). That said, by agreement, the terms of his contract could be changed in either direction I would think. He could agree to take a pay cut, we could agree to give him a pay rise, we could renegotiate the length of his contract. Anything would be possible by agreement. However, my expectation would be that we will just honour his contract (i.e. the contract he currently has with Melbourne and the Pies will remain on the hook for their bit).
I think this sounds about right.

Would it? I’d think only if Collingwood had that written into the agreement with Grundy.

But as I’ve said previously, Grundy’s salary with Melbourne will increase to closer to $900k pa in the final couple of years of the contract.

Would it? I’d think only if Collingwood had that written into the agreement with Grundy.

But as I’ve said previously, Grundy’s salary with Melbourne will increase to closer to $900k pa in the final couple of years of the contract.
Nope- it’s a flat contribution. It’s also to the AFL not to Melbourne. All salary contributions are to AFL directly not to other clubs.

Why would Sydney give pick 22 when Melbourne paid with 27? I’d assume a pick around 30 u less Melbourne make a salary contribution.

Afterall, the guy is fully fit and playing VFL and another year older.

And now there is only 1 suitor.

The only reason he wasn’t playing is because he had the best ruckman in the comp playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back