Traded Cameron McCarthy [traded to Fremantle with picks 7, 33 and 71 for pick 3]

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed, but if we had of given you our first this year and it turned out to be a top 5 pick I would have been livid.

Swings and roundabouts.
Same here.

Still strong on my principles regarding required contracted players, so what looked like a pick 16-18 last year was unders imo.

Still a bit to play out here, no point you and I killing each other over it for 6 months while it plays out.

Agreed, but if we had of given you our first this year and it turned out to be a top 5 pick I would have been livid.

Swings and roundabouts.

Fremantle don't have Second Rd pick this year
I agree that Fremantle should not trade your first rd as I think will be a top 3 pick

I think fair value for Cam McCarthy is third round and 2017 second round pick

Same here.

Still strong on my principles regarding required contracted players, so what looked like a pick 16-18 last year was unders imo.

Still a bit to play out here, no point you and I killing each other over it for 6 months while it plays out.

GWS should be. Their drafting and trading has been excellent thus far and the way they went after 20-22 year olds instead of GAj types was a shock to all.

No one wins every trade. And if you are Fremantle you generally lose them.

Would consider giving up Freo's first rounder for both Stewart and Macarthy otherwise no chance am hearing Dockers arent over keen on Macarthy for whatever reasons probably because he is not a medium sized Victorian midfielder but do prefer Stewart.

Hmmm, I like Stewart as a guy who always tries his best and I think he's slowly improving and would prefer to keep him as a backup. List management-wise there are pros and cons to letting him go, but if did want to jump for better opportunity, I'm being honest when I say that I'd take that, because I think it would be overs for the two of them (just a little - based on Freo ending up with pick 4 or 5) so a good deal for GWS.

[Edit: But I can't see Freo actually offering that - you'll want to take that high a pick to the draft.]

Otherwise, I strangely finding myself agreeing with Gillo on a 2016 third rounder plus 2017 second rounder (equivalent in points to somewhere in the late first round) as around the mark for McCarthy alone.

Edit: An alternative would be McCarthy plus GWS 2016 third round pick (estimated at #47) for Freo's 2017 first round pick. Freo gambles on improving ( but forgoes a first rounder next year) but gains an extra pick this year, which might be useful in a relatively deep and even draft pool. Still equates to that late first round but pay later philosophy!

Last edited:
The reason fans will never come to an agreement is point of view:

2015 GWS: Pick 7, 13, 16, 41
2015 Freo: Pick 27, 38, 55, 61

2014 GWS: Pick 4, 6, 7, 23, 24
2014 Freo: Pick 13, 34, 54, 68

2013 GWS: Pick 1, 2, 14, 29
2013 Freo: Pick 17, 37, 58

Freo for the last 3 years have entered the draft after GWS have made 3 picks. Picks have no value to GWS, they once again have (smartly acquired) 3x 1st rounders. So picks in 2016, worthless. Picks in 2017, they are valuable to GWS. So I think it'll be future picks, ours or a 3rd club that will get it over the line. Given our form, our future first pick is too valuable (remember that's from my point of view, we haven't seen a pick inside the top 10 since 2009).

So i'm guessing future 2nd rounder and some other clubs future 2nd pick too. Or maybe compensation pick from Zac Clarke or Chris Mayne should they be snapped up as free agents.

Is he?

If you don't ask you don't get. He could be our new full back to take over from Dawson. With Alex Pearce that's a fairly handy duo
If, if, if.

I'm not debating it anymore.

If you want to live in a fantasy land that Marchbank is a possibility, then go right ahead.

I'm not entertaining your delusions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS will not want to be seen as a club that throws around emotionally damaged players like a rubber ball - not a good look for the club or the game. This is an unusual case. Its rare players sit out a season so there will be no doubting his issues are real. I think GWS will want to delicately remove themselves from this situation and settle for around a 3rd rounder - they will not bother to do Tarzan like chest thumping on this one as they are to smart. They were hard nosed on the Boyd deal but this one could damage the clubs reputation if not handled carefully and they know it so they will cut their losses. As its rare no precedent is set.

Would consider giving up Freo's first rounder for both Stewart and Macarthy otherwise no chance am hearing Dockers arent over keen on Macarthy for whatever reasons probably because he is not a medium sized Victorian midfielder but do prefer Stewart.
Just a guess, but i'll have a stab that the reason freo are off McCarthy is that he doesn't play footy at any level, and hasn't for 8 months. Why would anyone entertain the idea of trading a 1st round pick for a bloke who hasn't played seniors for 8 months?

My Grandmother has played as many games of AFL as Cam McCarthy this year. She's 91. I guess we could offer pick 1 for Denise Drysdale and a late 2nd rounder for Rick Astley while we're at it. At least they would be entertaining. Maybe even put a few bums on seats.

GWS drafted him. It didn't work out. It happens. Just ask Josh Simpson or Jayden Pitt. It is what it is. This has nothing to do with Freo until it is resolved between GWS, Cam and the AFL. Asking Freo to come and rescue the situation is just lazy.

Just a guess, but i'll have a stab that the reason freo are off McCarthy is that he doesn't play footy at any level, and hasn't for 8 months. Why would anyone entertain the idea of trading a 1st round pick for a bloke who hasn't played seniors for 8 months?

My Grandmother has played as many games of AFL as Cam McCarthy this year. She's 91. I guess we could offer pick 1 for Denise Drysdale and a late 2nd rounder for Rick Astley while we're at it. At least they would be entertaining. Maybe even put a few bums on seats.

GWS drafted him. It didn't work out. It happens. Just ask Josh Simpson or Jayden Pitt. It is what it is. This has nothing to do with Freo until it is resolved between GWS, Cam and the AFL. Asking Freo to come and rescue the situation is just lazy.
Except it's got nothing to do with the AFL.

The reason fans will never come to an agreement is point of view:

2015 GWS: Pick 7, 13, 16, 41
2015 Freo: Pick 27, 38, 55, 61

2014 GWS: Pick 4, 6, 7, 23, 24
2014 Freo: Pick 13, 34, 54, 68

2013 GWS: Pick 1, 2, 14, 29
2013 Freo: Pick 17, 37, 58

Freo for the last 3 years have entered the draft after GWS have made 3 picks. Picks have no value to GWS, they once again have (smartly acquired) 3x 1st rounders. So picks in 2016, worthless. Picks in 2017, they are valuable to GWS. So I think it'll be future picks, ours or a 3rd club that will get it over the line. Given our form, our future first pick is too valuable (remember that's from my point of view, we haven't seen a pick inside the top 10 since 2009).

So i'm guessing future 2nd rounder and some other clubs future 2nd pick too. Or maybe compensation pick from Zac Clarke or Chris Mayne should they be snapped up as free agents.

The compo picks are likely to be band 4 or 5 - pick 37 or 42ish (before Academy picks etc). Would have some value but not heaps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back