Traded Cameron McCarthy [traded to Fremantle with picks 7, 33 and 71 for pick 3]

Remove this Banner Ad

4th? Who was in front of him?
14b0e770dd2424f5e4252e1adeff4c2d.gif

Rumour at the time was they wanted a player as well, still baffling why you wouldn't take the 2 pick offer.

A lot of reasons. Mainly it shows these mummy's boys that when you sign a contract, you honour it. Pretty simple philosophy. Not everyone who asks to be traded will get it. You can't always get what you want.

A lot of reasons. Mainly it shows these mummy's boys that when you sign a contract, you honour it. Pretty simple philosophy. Not everyone who asks to be traded will get it. You can't always get what you want.
Yeah great to see that worked out for them. Whats the old saying, choose your battles wisely.!. Personally i think breaking a contract is wrong but come on 2 first rounders for a third stringer thats deal of the century thank god they didn't accept it, the kid is now damaged it seams

It’s not perplexing at all really – GWS stood firm with the intention of either (i) convincing Cam to come back or (ii) to send a message to future players that if they extend their contracts, they don’t get to have a bet each way and then nominate and go home.

I’m not sure if it was (i) or (ii)2, or perhaps (i) & (ii) – however what’s done is done and the opportunity cost of this scenario is not insignificant. Gubby, GWS, fans can pretend all they like that there is no documented evidence of what was offered but our first rounder this year would of always been the most likely piece of any deal and the fact Freo bombed and it is pick 3 or pick 4 stings. However us Freo fans can stop pretending the club has done some great bargaining as we were quite prepared to offer massive overs last year and we were only saved by a stubborn Gubby. So I don’t hate Gubby – I’m stoked he held firm and saved us from ourselves.

This circular banter is no good for anyone, OK so GWS miss out but I am of the view that you can’t really lose what you never had, and if GWS didn’t see this massive drop – one can only surmise Freo didn’t either. The only criticism I would level at GWS was they could of let the lad play WAFL as it would of helped maintain his trade value and helped him as an individual ….by being absolute hard arses – there is no good will and Freo I have no doubt will throw a pittance on the table compared to last year and GWS will likely take it to see the end of this saga.

Yeah great to see that worked out for them. Whats the old saying, choose your battles wisely.!. Personally i think breaking a contract is wrong but come on 2 first rounders for a third stringer thats deal of the century thank god they didn't accept it, the kid is now damaged it seams

Actually it has worked out for them- they are in a prelim, meanwhile Freo are nowhere this season. GWS don't lose much not doing the deal. They got the academy boys they wanted anyway.

Contracts should mean exactly that and players should stop playing the "homesick" card every time there is an ounce of it being "hard"

Actually it has worked out for them- they are in a prelim, meanwhile Freo are nowhere this season. GWS don't lose much not doing the deal. They got the academy boys they wanted anyway.

Contracts should mean exactly that and players should stop playing the "homesick" card every time there is an ounce of it being "hard"
Well I guess you can be afforded those sort of luxuries when you have been gifted 25+ first round draft picks.

Well I guess you can be afforded those sort of luxuries when you have been gifted 25+ first round draft picks.

Still doesn't mean you let go every bloke that has a good whinge about being homesick so to speak.

It shows every player on our list that heading towards regular finals for the next 6 years is better than signing a deal and trying to worm your way out of it because Ross has put something bigger on the table is NOT the way to go when your with the Giants.
Loss of Sunshine and 2 first rounders =minimal.
Lesson for every player who wants to deal with our club in the future=Priceless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually they would take that deal now so no it didn't work out for them

Ye
It shows every player on our list that heading towards regular finals for the next 6 years is better than signing a deal and trying to worm your way out of it because Ross has put something bigger on the table is NOT the way to go when your with the Giants.
Lesson for every player who wants to deal with our club in the future=Priceless.
Yes GWS will dominate afl the likes we haven't seen before but then it will be Brisbane 2.0, i wonder how many kids wont sign long contracts now they know what can happen

The lesson may also be - don't sign extensions.

Mind blown. Thankyou Gubby. Best wishes Gws guys

There is no reason why GWS and Freo fans should be squabbling TBH - McCarthy is promising but he is no dead set future star.

We're not sharing a common premiership window and if we can just quietly and effectively get a deal done this time .....just makes more sense to be on good terms with as many teams as you possibly can as future good will helps gets deals done.

Everything is contextual, two firsts would be gold to clubs like mine or the Hawks or the Swans - in the same way that your pick 4 (;)) is worth a lot to you. It's natural that it means less to GWS and also that experienced AFL level players have more value to them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back