Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 2 vs. Richmond - THUR 11/06 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Given what Bucks said, he couldn't find a reason to remove anyone from the round 1 team. So its not stevo that's doing anything wrong, just everyone doing everything right.
at this stage Round 1 is practically irrelevant - could use it as an excuse about leaving Stevo out if didn't want to be more specific about something

Stevo may be suffering a bit mentally from all that happened last year. He's a young man.

It wouldn't have helped him to have suffered GF and missed so much of the pre-season and then be weeks/months in lockdown.

I'm sure he will bounce back.

But I guess we all want to know why he needs a boot up the arse. Adams' comment has only fueled speculation. There may not be anything sinister behind it but obviously it was important enough to publicly comment upon.
Yeah, I would certainly like to know also but I don't think we are going to find out, I think he might have OCD or ADHD if I remember correctly when we first took him there was some talk going around so it might just be a combination of things. Those two disorders can certainly effect the way a person goes about his day to day buisness, I'm sure he will be playing sooner rather than latter.

Stephenson may now be completely over Glandular Fever but I've got no doubt that it impacted his preseason and therefore his ability to play - and in turn prove himself - in the preseason games.

It's always a key selection criteria but there seems to be a big emphasis this season on our players being "match fit" rather than slightly underneath. In years gone by I think we may have played Cox at 80 percent but this year we're selecting Cameron on the basis that not only is he showing something, but he's fully fit.

I could be reading too far into it but I suspect the club is anticipating games to be full throttle from siren to siren with the shorter games.

I've got no doubt that if Stephenson kicks a couple of goals today and runs the match out OK, he'll be in next week.

To be honest if the AFL hasn't allowed scratch matches, I think Stephenson would've been more likely to play on the basis that he would've had no other platform (outside of training) to push his case. This is obviously assuming nothing more sinister is going on behind closed doors!

Stephenson may now be completely over Glandular Fever but I've got no doubt that it impacted his preseason and therefore his ability to play - and in turn prove himself - in the preseason games.

It's always a key selection criteria but there seems to be a big emphasis this season on our players being "match fit" rather than slightly underneath. In years gone by I think we may have played Cox at 80 percent but this year we're selecting Cameron on the basis that not only is he showing something, but he's fully fit.

I could be reading too far into it but I suspect the club is anticipating games to be full throttle from siren to siren with the shorter games.

I've got no doubt that if Stephenson kicks a couple of goals today and runs the match out OK, he'll be in next week.

To be honest if the AFL hasn't allowed scratch matches, I think Stephenson would've been more likely to play on the basis that he would've had no other platform (outside of training) to push his case. This is obviously assuming nothing more sinister is going on behind closed doors!

Agreed, I'm not to worried about him. Glandular Fever is a nasty beast and missing a chunk of the pre-season is going to have an effect, especially on a young guy like Stevo, compared to if we were talking about a Pendlebury or Sidey. Couple that with the fact that there was no VFL to prove himself in and his only real hit out was the recent intra-club, I'll back him in to prove himself later today and be putting his hand up for selection next week against the Saints.

The argument could simply be that against the tigers you need to have 22 fit and ready-to-go players, and with no "competitive" opportunity for Stevo to have prove himself being so, they're just not prepared to bring him in against them.

In which case we are going to continue to speculate on the reason for his continued omission. If what you say is true, then no information should be available on any player and we would receive no injury news or details on how long a player is likely to be missing from the game.

You do make a Good Point. IF teams did not want people to know about players then we would hear nothing about them.

Though I remember Marty Clarke's last year. We did not know what was wrong with him until end of the Season

2019 stats - 14.5 disposals, 1 goal & 2.4 tackles
2018 stats - 16.5 disposals, 1.5 goal & 3.1 tackles

He’s regressing. Just don’t see him as best 22.

Isn't that more reflective of the changed role he had within the forward structure, the changed F50 structures for much of the year (Cox & Stevo missing), and an overall drop in team scoring?

I've never thought of Thomas as anything more than a fringe player but his stats for a small forward in 2019 when rated against the team overall were pretty good.

Hearing Prestia and Nank won’t play. Both weren’t seen at training and Tigers fans been saying they won’t. Makes sense for Higgins to come in

To add onto that, who would you drop for Stephenson?

Daicos, Ty Brown & Cal Brown had better games than JT in round 1.

Coaches apparently don't think anyone.

Reckon there's a bit more to the whole Stephenson thing - some sort of issue there (behavioural etc.)

Pleased to see Darcy Cameron get a gong, pre-season form was really strong.

We'll see where guys like Daicos, Brown x2 etc. are coming Thursday night - think we'll be highly competitive but they'll expose our depth.

Otherwise, can't wait.

Or not.

He has had several months to build his fitness ans the quarters are now only 16 minutes. If hs is reasonably fit, he should be playing.

If we were the team coming off a 50 odd point drubbing in R1 rather than the team that doled it out you could assume that but those circumstances make it hard to justify that change.

So he has f’ed up in some way then. No other way you could interpret that comment.

Not sure if you just mean f'ed up in terms of behavioural-wise, if so, there's definitely other ways to interpret that comment.

I reckon it's pretty clear that it's related to attitude/effort/professionalism in terms of approaching training and games. Third year back and he's coasting on the knowledge of knowing his talent has made him an automatic selection since day dot.

That or he's back on the punt after they put a ban on it!

If this were the case, why wouldn't the club admit it rather than allow the likes if us to speculate that other factors may have been at play. What is so difficult or wrong about admitting the player's fitness is still affected by his illness?

Hmmmmm, Bucks did say nobody deserved to be dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not going to lose any more sleep than usual over his omission should it occur. The fact that the opposition know he not playing is probably all they need to know. Can't see that playing cups and balls tricks with his selection is going to hurt anyone other than the loyal supporters who want to know his state of mental and physical health
TGG on BF at 3.00 am :(

1591758722962.png

Hearing Prestia and Nank won’t play. Both weren’t seen at training and Tigers fans been saying they won’t. Makes sense for Higgins to come in
I’d say they will be going in with a lone ruckman (soldo).
if they play 2 rucks it will suit us really well

Wasn't he in full training before lockdown and close enough to fitness post glandular that he was an emergency months ago? It smells like he's stuffed up and copping a disciplinary whack to me.

Played very limited time in the preseason game against the Saints and then missed the following game against the Tigas because of a personal issue. You'd think that if he'd played againnst the Tigas and had increased TOG then he'd have played R1 and this discussion would be moot.

So he has f’ed up in some way then. No other way you could interpret that comment.

Some context could be good. Adams could have been referring to his gambling blue of last year, or simply that he hasn't got the body of work under his belt post GF.

Last edited:
Well refuted - valid points you make as always.

See HarryO post;

'Taylor Adams said on AFL tonight on fox footy tonight that Stevo has been given some honest truths on what he needs to do to get back in the best 22'

I reckon I'm onto something.

Or not ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back