Preview Changes: R6 2021 v Hawthorn in Tasmania

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, I can feel free to be right, because I said " I'm going Gallucci everyday of the week". Not the Crows, not you or anyone else. Me!

Either there were 3 options on the table, the two you mentioned and a third which was keeping both, or there was only one option on the table, the one they went with.
Keeping both wasn't an option. Keeping Gallucci wasn't an option.

Mackay was the last player offered a contract, and he had to wait until after the trade period had concluded. Safe to say that option #1 (both players gone) was well and truly on the table for a while at least.

Lot of people forget what I would call Hillembergs biggest mistakes/issues were last year, While his last 3-4 games were OK, he had a habit of making the forward line too crowded, He competed with Tex Fog, Lynch way too much, brought his defender into the game way too much,
What I like this year is the Taller Forwards are not competing against each other as much.
Maybe that Rahilly, But watching Himmelberg this year he still has a habit of crowding the forward line.
RT seems to understand that better. from what I have seen of him,

Have to say I did not see the last SANFL Sat game Live was at the AFLW, and the replay does not show you what a player is doing ahead of the ball.

Anyway, my changes for this week would be:

Out: Frampton, Kelly
In: Hately, Worrell
Why TF would you drop Kelly, who was one of our better players against Freo?

Surely you'd be looking at players like McAdam (form and/or injury), Lynch (inj), Walker (inj), Fogarty (poor performance), or even McPherson (2nd year blues), before you'd be looking at Kelly?

I'd just go:
Out: Frampton
In: Hately

Move Fogarty out of the midfield and leave him in the forward line. That fixes the problem of being 1 midfielder short, and also the problem of having 3 slow tall forwards. The only problem with this is the lack of ruck back-up for ROB.

Maybe you'd look at replacing Lynch (inj) with Worrell, and re-arranging the deck chairs accordingly. It's not ideal, but Worrell is really the only other player sticking his hand up in the SANFL, and Lynch is probably the most in need of a rest (to get his toe injury right). Making any further changes requires promoting SANFL players who haven't done enough to justify being elevated.

We've made one unforced change all year, which was Murray being discarded after just one game.

What makes people think they are going to start now?

We've made one unforced change all year, which was Murray being discarded after just one game.

What makes people think they are going to start now?
I take umbrage to that..wasn't McKay a sub one week then he was playing SANFL the next (unless you are not allowed to have the same player as a sub for more than 1 week in a row and then it was taken out of the clubs hands):D

I take umbrage to that..wasn't McKay a sub one week then he was playing SANFL the next (unless you are not allowed to have the same player as a sub for more than 1 week in a row and then it was taken out of the clubs hands):D

He was injured R3, sub in R4.

It will most likely be a sh**** cold wet windy down in Tassie on Sunday so would prefer we look to bring a small and Hately to bolster midfield.

Other than back up ruck, Frampton offers very little.

Tex and Fog as our main forwards is enough, will also help us focus on improving our forward 50 entry....Falling back into that bomb it long trap last few weeks.

Keeping both wasn't an option. Keeping Gallucci wasn't an option.

Mackay was the last player offered a contract, and he had to wait until after the trade period had concluded. Safe to say that option #1 (both players gone) was well and truly on the table for a while at least.
Option (noun): A thing that is or may be chosen.

Just because it wasn't chosen, doesn't mean it wasn't an option. It was an option to keep Gallucci, but it wasn't chosen. Same way it was an option to keep Betts to his contract.

Anyway, move on.

It will most likely be a sh**** cold wet windy down in Tassie on Sunday so would prefer we look to bring a small and Hately to bolster midfield.

Other than back up ruck, Frampton offers very little.

Tex and Fog as our main forwards is enough, will also help us focus on improving our forward 50 entry....Falling back into that bomb it long trap last few weeks.
Forecast (current) is for slightly cloudy, light winds, 5% chance of rain and a top of 17 degrees..

thats a bloody great day of weather for tasmania at this time of year!..

we’ll still play like dried up dog turds though... we always do in tassie and we nearly always do against the Hawks no matter where we play them..

Surely you'd be looking at players like McAdam (form and/or injury), Lynch (inj), Walker (inj), Fogarty (poor performance), or even McPherson (2nd year blues), before you'd be looking at Kelly?

I'd just go:

Move Fogarty out of the midfield and leave him in the forward line. That fixes the problem of being 1 midfielder short, and also the problem of having 3 slow tall forwards. The only problem with this is the lack of ruck back-up for ROB.

Maybe you'd look at replacing Lynch (inj) with Worrell, and re-arranging the deck chairs accordingly. It's not ideal, but Worrell is really the only other player sticking his hand up in the SANFL, and Lynch is probably the most in need of a rest (to get his toe injury right). Making any further changes requires promoting SANFL players who haven't done enough to justify being elevated.
Kelly is good defensively, as long as the ball isn't in his hands. Yes, he was at 90% De or thereabouts, but he was back to his sideways, short, slow ball movement that rarely went to our advantage and played into the hands of Freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd just go:

Is it really that difficult for you to understand what they are trying to do with the Fog?.. or are you just so totally against the idea that you are gonna write it off from the start?..

there is absolutely nothing to lose from playing Fog in the middle. We are in a rebuild period.. wins are great but developing players is more important.

give Fog a year to see if he can show some really positive signs in the midfield.. and even if by chance he doesnt one thing it will do is improve his tank and fitness and put a ton of work into building stronger/faster reflexes.

all things that will improve his craft as a forward.

I, however, honestly believe that he can become a forward/midfielder at AFL level..

lads got tonnes of talent, is as strong as an ox and has an unbelievable and accurate boot on him..

the wins have been great but really dont bother me this year.. i was stoked after the game on the weekend even though it was a loss.. the effort and a heap of bloody great signs were there and we really only lost due to our poor finishing when moving the ball into our forward line.

our two loses this year have come due to our own mistakes, not floggings due to us being s**t... Swans game we shouldve and wouldve won if we had of kicked straight infront of goal, 22 points with atleast 10 that shouldve been goals. And freo due to poor delivery into our forwards. Sure freo killed us around the ground at stopages but they had fyfe and mundy against our youth and inexperienced mids so that was always gonna happen, but we still sent the ball into our forward line enough to outscore them..just did it poorly.

As I said, good defensively, but coughs the ball up too much. Maybe we should keep him and not kick the ball his way when we have it. That's also an option.
89.5% Disposal Efficiency vs Fremantle, 2nd best for the entire team (McPherson's 91.7% was our best). Probably not the best argument for dropping him.

Is it really that difficult for you to understand what they are trying to do with the Fog?.. or are you just so totally against the idea that you are gonna write it off from the start?..

there is absolutely nothing to lose from playing Fog in the middle. We are in a rebuild period.. wins are great but developing players is more important.

give Fog a year to see if he can show some really positive signs in the midfield.. and even if by chance he doesnt one thing it will do is improve his tank and fitness and put a ton of work into building stronger/faster reflexes.

I, however, honestly believe that he can become a forward/midfielder at AFL level..

lads got tonnes of talent, is as strong as an ox and has an unbelievable and accurate boot on him..

the wins have been great but really dont bother me this year.. i was stoked after the game on the weekend even though it was a loss.. the effort and a heap of bloody great signs were there and we really only lost due to our poor finishing when moving the ball into our forward line.

our two loses this year have come due to our own mistakes, not floggings due to us being sh*t... Swans game we shouldve and wouldve won if we had of kicked straight infront of goal, 22 points with atleast 10 that shouldve been goals. And freo due to poor delivery into our forwards. Sure freo killed us around the ground at stopages but they had fyfe and mundy against our youth and inexperienced mids so that was always gonna happen, but we still sent the ball into our forward line enough to outscore them..just did it poorly.
Strong as an ox... because he's the size of an ox - and that's his biggest problem. He's never going to make it as a midfielder at the size he is. He's just too slow and immobile, and doesn't have the fitness to play more than 1 quarter in the guts (before he blows up and is useless for the rest of the game).

Yes, he's got talent - but he's never going to make the most of it until he sheds 5+ kg of excess muscle. That would free his body up immensely, giving him the opportunity to shine.

our two loses this year have come due to our own mistakes, not floggings due to us being sh*t... Swans game we shouldve and wouldve won if we had of kicked straight infront of goal, 22 points with atleast 10 that shouldve been goals. And freo due to poor delivery into our forwards. Sure freo killed us around the ground at stopages but they had fyfe and mundy against our youth and inexperienced mids so that was always gonna happen, but we still sent the ball into our forward line enough to outscore them..just did it poorly.
I was only disappointed at the loss because it was a game we could have won, if we were tidier and cleaner, certainly wasn’t a backward step

As I said, good defensively, but coughs the ball up too much. Maybe we should keep him and not kick the ball his way when we have it. That's also an option.
According to the AFL Stats page, his Kicking Efficiency (90.3% & 83.3%) and Disposal Efficiency (86.1% & 82%) are both Elite. Percentages quoted are 2021 season & Career.
https://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/Discover/CD_I297473/Kelly-Jake

It seems Saturday's figures were not an aberration. Care to try again?

I have long been critical of him holding up play, and preferring to kick the ball backwards or sideways at every possible opportunity. However, he has been much, much, much better with his decision making in 2021. He's always been pretty good at hitting his targets.

As Clint Eastwood said, "a man's got to know his limitations" - Kelly does, and he plays within them.

Last edited:
Except he doesn't cough the ball up that much.

We've got plenty of attacking types across half back and wing, he doesn't need to be one of them.

Our Biggest weakness this year is the ease the Ball get from storage to opposition forward line when we lose the stoppage,
That would accelerate if we don't have a decent backup ruck in the side,
Crows need players at the stoppages who win the Ball, get a few of them then we can afford to carry a couple of Kids until they find a way.
Or are we expecting to just wait until Sloane and Crouch return in 3 to 4 weeks? just in time for the toughest part of our draw.
One of Murthy, Berry, Fogarty, need to be swapped, yea they playing OK football, but they are not getting the hands on the ball. and they need to replace by someone who can find the ball. today while the crows are in the easy part of the draw.
Schoenburg remains because he the best performer of the guys who cannot get 20plus disposal as midfielders.
But to continue playing Kids who are struggling to find the ball is slowing down their development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back