Analysis Changes vs Weagles Round 11

Remove this Banner Ad

CountryDog5

Backseat Footballer
Oct 14, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Part way through the last qtr when the Suns were coming hard at us. The ball went inside 50 and Cleary had a chance to mark the ball, but this meant he would be potentially running across the path of the leading forwards. He stuck his arm out rather than going hard and trying to mark. It was easily reachable in my opinion.
That's the example I mentioned in my comment too and I don't think he actually pulled up, just misread the drop. Just wanted to see if there were any other examples.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Every team has gotten a hot start against the Eagles. Watch us trail at quarter time haha.

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
Out: Cordy, Scott & Cleary

In: English, Weightman & Crozier

Think we need to really try settle our backline.

Looks like Williams is going to be more up on a wing going forward.

Cleary has shown a bit but prefer the experience of Crozier & his intercepting ability.

McComb isn't getting dropped off another 2 goals and probably holds until a fit JJ, Hannan, Hunter etc are back.
McVomb reminds me of Gardner at the beginning. He was awful and people (myself included) thought he was a total spud, but the guy is improving each week, kicking the ball better, putting his body on the line and kicking two goals in each of the past two games.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
McVomb reminds me of Gardner at the beginning. He was awful and people (myself included) thought he was a total spud, but the guy is improving each week, kicking the ball better, putting his body on the line and kicking two goals in each of the past two games.

The difference in my eyes is that we desperately needed a guy who played Gardner’s position and played him pretty much out of necessity. We‘re not lacking short inside mids with dodgy kicks. We have that exact player in Rhylee West and he has potential for a huge amount of future development if allowed to develop in the AFL.

Jun 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gardner also had some elite traits, including his athleticism. His height and length and ability to play a position of need was what brought him into the team early when he was clearly still leaning how to adjust to the pace of the game and was caught out several times, especially when he had the ball. To put it simply, we needed a KPD2 at the time and Bevo saw elite traits in Gardner and knew he'd benefit from being forced into some games. I just don't see the same need/benefit for McComb. The two are not alike.

Bevo all but confirmed that English and Sweet will play in the same side for the first time during today's presser.
Saying that the resting ruck will need to play forward.*

Weightman considered himself ready to play last week. So sounds a good chance to play this week*.

Duryea is ready and a chance to come in. I get the impression that it will be at the expense of Cleary*.

Bevo inadvertently let slip at the end that there will be 3 changes*.

*Dependant on this afternoons training session.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pocket Terrace

Team Captain
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not that it matters much, but English and Sweet played together when the Dees touched us up last year at Docklands. It was English's first game back from concussion so it's actually not too dissimilar to this week. The outcome that night may have contributed to the hesitancy of playing both boys in the same side ever since.

The following week we went with both Martin and English against Freo, where Stef got injured again and was the last time that we played 2 rucks until the prelim.

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not that it matters much, but English and Sweet played together when the Dees touched us up last year at Docklands. It was English's first game back from concussion so it's actually not too dissimilar to this week. The outcome that night may have contributed to the hesitancy of playing both boys in the same side ever since.

The following week we went with both Martin and English against Freo, where Stef got injured again and was the last time that we played 2 rucks until the prelim.
Feels like this week shouldn't be an issue as West Coast have the worst ruck stocks in the comp at the moment

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

That game was the best performance we’ve had against Melbournes rucks in years tbh - Sweet had 17hos - Gawn and Jackson combined for only 38 compared to the whacking we usually get, and English had 2 goals, 15 touches and 10 hit outs.

Sweet got a bit of a touch up, as to be expected in his 2nd? Game against the best ruck in the comp. But overall Gawn and Jackson whilst good, from memory I don’t think they dominated, and Timmy had a really strong game.

That game if anything leads to the fact they should play more together not less, IMO

Pocket Terrace

Team Captain
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That game was the best performance we’ve had against Melbournes rucks in years tbh - Sweet had 17hos - Gawn and Jackson combined for only 38 compared to the whacking we usually get, and English had 2 goals, 15 touches and 10 hit outs.

Sweet got a bit of a touch up, as to be expected in his 2nd? Game against the best ruck in the comp. But overall Gawn and Jackson whilst good, from memory I don’t think they dominated, and Timmy had a really strong game.

That game if anything leads to the fact they should play more together not less, IMO
No argument from me. I hope to see Sweet and English combine well for may years to come.

I was more referencing that they have in fact played together, and that we also went with the double ruck combo the following week with Martin and English, so it was obviously our preferred set-up until it wasn't.

I think we are willing to play 2 rucks and 3 talls, depending on what the combinations are. I recall when Bruce went down with the knee that it meant Jamarra would no longer have a role in the forward set up as the 3rd tall for the rest of that season. It's more about the mix of who the talls are than being stuck on a set number of talls either way.

I hope that Sweet and English proves to be a good mix so we never see Dunkley take another throw in. If that means more time for English forward then fine by me.

The WESTERN BULLDOGS are set to welcome back emerging ruckman Tim English this weekend after he spent the last five weeks sidelined with illness and a hamstring injury.

And the news gets better for the Dogs with Cody Weightman (collarbone) and Taylor Duryea (illness) also likely to return for their meeting with West Coast at Optus Stadium on Saturday night.

Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Gawn was arguably the best player on the ground that day. Got 9 coaches votes and 2 brownlow votes. I remember we had to take Sweet out of the ruck because Gawn had him dominated around the ground. Took some big contested marks. It's why Bevo refused to play Sweet from then on.

Apr 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Yeah that was my memory as well. It wasnt the ruck that lost that game for us. I thought both boys did well

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Bevo must have forgotten.
“Sweety and Tim have never played in the same AFL team together. This week could be the first time that happens. If that happens something else will have to give.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back