Rumour Charlie Cameron to request a trade home to Queensland

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's Port that's in that position re: the CBA, not Adelaide. Could be wrong though.
From an outside perspective I don't think it's that deceitful. If Lever asked for 800k and was informed that would make him the highest paid player and his response was that he still wanted 800k or he would leave, then yes, he was asking to be made the highest paid player if he was to stay.
It's still different. One is a statement about what he can get on the open market and asking for it, the other is a statement that he wants to specifically be paid more than anybody else, regardless of what they are on. The latter has not been proven, and I very much doubt that it happened. If Adelaide has been stingy with its top end talent, that is also their issue, not his. And like I said, the next round of contracts are likely to go equal to or past what lever was asking for its top echelon. Adelaide has simply got far too emotional about this and it's not reflecting well on them. In fact, I can't recall any player movement generating such public insults from a club as this one - including when Jason Akermanis left the Lions.

It's still different. One is a statement about what he can get on the open market and asking for it, the other is a statement that he wants to specifically be paid more than anybody else, regardless of what they are on. The latter has not been proven, and I very much doubt that it happened. If Adelaide has been stingy with its top end talent, that is also their issue, not his. And like I said, the next round of contracts are likely to go equal to or past what lever was asking for its top echelon. Adelaide has simply got far too emotional about this and it's not reflecting well on them. In fact, I can't recall any player movement generating such public insults from a club as this one - including when Jason Akermanis left the Lions.

I mean, yeah, the latter hasn't been proven and likely didn't happen. But I also don't really think anyone is claiming it did.
It seems to me like you're conflating what everyone has claimed happened (Lever asking the Crows to match 800k/year if he was to stay, thus making him their highest paid player) with something that no-one has really claimed happened (Lever demanding to be paid more than anyone else regardless of what they're on as a matter of principle).

I mean, yeah, the latter hasn't been proven and likely didn't happen. But I also don't really think anyone is claiming it did.
It seems to me like you're conflating what everyone has claimed happened (Lever asking the Crows to match 800k/year if he was to stay, thus making him their highest paid player) with something that no-one has really claimed happened (Lever demanding to be paid more than anyone else regardless of what they're on as a matter of principle).
Even Brett Burton is doing that though - he's deliberately misrepresenting Lever by making it sound like he's the ultimate mercenary who was holding the club to ransom. The reason people are conflating the issues is because Adelaide's public comments are pointing them to do so. Then you add the ban from the B&F, and the fact that Lever finished outside the top 10 in their B&F - it reeks of manipulation. Do you actually believe that he would legitimately finish outside the top 10? He's probably in their top 3 or 4 best players and had a very good season - better than Walker, certainly. That's incredibly dodgy if you ask me.

Even Brett Burton is doing that though - he's deliberately misrepresenting Lever by making it sound like he's the ultimate mercenary who was holding the club to ransom. The reason people are conflating the issues is because Adelaide's public comments are pointing them to do so. Then you add the ban from the B&F, and the fact that Lever finished outside the top 10 in their B&F - it reeks of manipulation. Do you actually believe that he would legitimately finish outside the top 10? He's probably in their top 3 or 4 best players and had a very good season - better than Walker, certainly. That's incredibly dodgy if you ask me.
Yeah, I don't know. Lever probably finished higher in the B&F, I assume.

I've stayed away from commenting on how the Crows are handling it because I've been through similar situations as a Lions fan and I know that the mindset at the time is very much one of "* them". I'm also quite aware of how the media frames things, and I've got no doubt the Vic media is pushing a very firm "Crows are being flogs" line.

My point was mainly just that it isn't strictly incorrect to say "Lever told the Crows he wants to be their highest paid player" because he did (essentially) ask that by requesting 800k/year.

Why is Lever the devil for wanting to leave, but Cameron is ok because he's indigenous? Surely any two people can feel the same pull to go back home? It's not any more cultural for an indigenous person to want to go back home than it is for a whit person to want to go back home. Oh, and both players stand to get a much better deal elsewhere. The only substantial difference is that Cameron is still contracted. So why all the hate for Lever, and why all the understanding for Cameron? It's hypocrisy.

Lever was advised not to attend after his Rubish tip stunt when it was reported by a reporter conveniently on site that he was dumping his Crows gear. That did not go well with a few prominent supporters. Lever has also said a few incorrect truth about the players wanting him out of the team. So some of them are not happy.
There was a reason, also if you remembered Dangerfield attend 2015 Club Champion awards after he told the club he was leaving there was no hard feeling.

There’s plenty more to the story, levers family shopped him around including late last year, stories that even Ned guy has been unimpressed with the behavior of them.
He’s broken team and contract rules.
Used BT all year as a mouth piece to drive up his price.
Blatantly lied to the club.
Didn’t tell his mates in person at a bbq when he had the chance, waited to do it by Phone a day or so later.
He was not banned from the bnf he was strongly advised not to come. Would have copped plenty from the members. We don’t ban people nor would we manipulate it for him to finish outside the 10, Charlie Cameron was there, danger attended in his last year and WON it.
Do you realise he missed 5 games this year with injuries?
That’s why he finished outside the 10, not some petty conspiracy.
He’s also not in our top 3 or 4, he’s played 3rd man all year except when he played the odd one on one game where he got towelled up.
The rubbish that’s been spouted from their side is just ridiculous (lowballed - got offered a deal less than what he’s currently on) that’s just insane and not correct.
He/father have handled this extremely poorly and we are pissed.

Is attacking his family phase 2 in Adelaide supporter coping method

Lever was advised not to attend after his Rubish tip stunt when it was reported by a reporter conveniently on site that he was dumping his Crows gear. That did not go well with a few prominent supporters. Lever has also said a few incorrect truth about the players wanting him out of the team. So some of them are not happy.
There was a reason, also if you remembered Dangerfield attend 2015 Club Champion awards after he told the club he was leaving there was no hard feeling.

All clubs would react the same to an ex player making a display of trashing his teams gear in such a public manner.

See some of your points are fair and reasonable especially in relation to Burton as that didn't impress me at all. If they wanted to give a reason to supporters so they understand it needed to be done more professionally, you can express disappointment but the emotion needs to be dropped out. The thing is Lever's 2nd half to the year wasn't all that great(as has been his trend, likely a younger body tiring as the season goes on), he also missed 5 games so there's no way he was in our absolute best players for the year. There's no doubting his performances early in the year were elite in particular and why you guys want him so badly but to say there's a manipulation is utter nonsense and just plain horrible reporting from people trying create a bigger story than there is. I'm afraid you're eating it up exactly as they want and given it's going to effect your club I guess that's understandable.

I think you probably need to look at it all a bit more objectively rather than just taking the media bait as gospel. Just in case you think I'm bias on this I'm really not, I've got no issues with him getting to Melbourne, I do think 2 firsts is a reasonable price but believe when push comes to shove it'll be a 1st and a 2nd just to get it done. Most of what's going on right now is just posturing from Adelaide's perspective as many of our supporters are of the belief we are way too accommodating at the trade table and people might call for blood if we are perceived to being weak losing yet another high quality player.

Think the point I'm making here is there's not just one party in this doing things wrong, there's certainly a fair share coming from the Lever camp itself as there is the Adelaide camp.

Just further on my resonse, this is a little graphic someone calculated for the B&F had he played the extra games and extrapolated by averages - obviously it doesn't mean anything as he could have played 5 blinders and catapulted higher but equally could have played ordinary too so going by averages seems a fair extrapolation...
BF.JPG
Put it this way, his position is around the mark from where I sit having watched the year out, all the players ahead of him on the hypothetical are probably right to be, except maybe Douglas who he could pipped in my opinion. I should add if his form held from early year all year long he'd be in the top 5 so that's the quality of the player you are looking to secure and have every reason to believe he'll do that as he matures, gets fitter, stronger and adds a couple elements to his game.

See some of your points are fair and reasonable especially in relation to Burton as that didn't impress me at all. If they wanted to give a reason to supporters so they understand it needed to be done more professionally, you can express disappointment but the emotion needs to be dropped out. The thing is Lever's 2nd half to the year wasn't all that great(as has been his trend, likely a younger body tiring as the season goes on), he also missed 5 games so there's no way he was in our absolute best players for the year. There's no doubting his performances early in the year were elite in particular and why you guys want him so badly but to say there's a manipulation is utter nonsense and just plain horrible reporting from people trying create a bigger story than there is. I'm afraid you're eating it up exactly as they want and given it's going to effect your club I guess that's understandable.

I think you probably need to look at it all a bit more objectively rather than just taking the media bait as gospel. Just in case you think I'm bias on this I'm really not, I've got no issues with him getting to Melbourne, I do think 2 firsts is a reasonable price but believe when push comes to shove it'll be a 1st and a 2nd just to get it done. Most of what's going on right now is just posturing from Adelaide's perspective as many of our supporters are of the belief we are way too accommodating at the trade table and people might call for blood if we are perceived to being weak losing yet another high quality player.

Think the point I'm making here is there's not just one party in this doing things wrong, there's certainly a fair share coming from the Lever camp itself as there is the Adelaide camp.
Ok, fair enough. I can accept that there are things going on on both sides here. But amongst Crows fans you are in the severe minority in acknowledging that. So Kudos to you for that. The other commentary from your supporters here on BF have been listing all the egregious crimes Lever has committed and why Adelaide has not been at fault in any way. To be honest, I've never seen more vitriol towards a player leaving a club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, fair enough. I can accept that there are things going on on both sides here. But amongst Crows fans you are in the severe minority in acknowledging that. So Kudos to you for that. The other commentary from your supporters here on BF have been listing all the egregious crimes Lever has committed and why Adelaide has not been at fault in any way. To be honest, I've never seen more vitriol towards a player leaving a club.
I don't get overly emotional about this, players coming and going is going to be the new normal in the AFL unless they give some power back to clubs. My only real issue with Lever is he's a terrible liar and has been doing a lot of it in the second half of the year which is somewhat insulting that these players actually think everyone is stupid like just be honest about your motivations there's really no shame in accepting a substantially bigger contract. Sure it'll irk Crows supporters to a degree but I'd respect the candor a hell of a lot more. There certainly is some stuff that's played out however through the media which your own club should be a little careful with too in my opinion(not melbournes wrong doing). Personally I'd say the salary is a bit too high for a player of his age and experience though I guess they have seen enough to want to pay for potential and back themselves to continue his development however at the same time you did need to entice him to leave or not select another club so it's understandable just does carry a little bit of risk.

Will see how it all plays out now anyway, I'm sure he'll end up getting to Melbourne, I'm equally sure Crows fans will savage him if you play at AO next year and likely he'll love that too.

I can confirm ADL will only be trading Charlie this year if they receive pick 12.
If Motlop chooses Adelaide they will let Charlie go for pick 18.

Hey dude. I just wanted to come here and say that your tweets are awful, and everyone knows you're a fraud.

Ok carry on.

And why is that do you think? We’ve had better players leave before?

And why is that do you think? We’ve had better players leave before?
Because your club is overreacting. He's a youngster too, so he's an easier target for character assassination. I'm not saying he's blameless in all this, but clubs should take the high ground - not engage in public insults. And you did walk away from the negotiation table with Melbourne - after you were already offered a round 1 and a round 2. That's grandstanding - no need for it. You might have got your two 1st rounders from there. You never walk away from the table when a respectable offer is made. Too emotional. Unprofessional - regardless of what you think of Lever.

Because your club is overreacting. He's a youngster too, so he's an easier target for character assassination. I'm not saying he's blameless in all this, but clubs should take the high ground - not engage in public insults. And you did walk away from the negotiation table with Melbourne - after you were already offered a round 1 and a round 2. That's grandstanding - no need for it. You might have got your two 1st rounders from there. You never walk away from the table when a respectable offer is made. Too emotional. Unprofessional - regardless of what you think of Lever.
Yet we get slammed when Carlton walk away from the Gibbs deal last year.
Maybe because we were mighty pissed with you guys approaching meeting and offering a contract to a contracted player? How unprofessional is that?
I get it we are an easy club to target and the Vic media smell blood.

Yet we get slammed when Carlton walk away from the Gibbs deal last year.
Maybe because we were mighty pissed with you guys approaching meeting and offering a contract to a contracted player? How unprofessional is that?
I get it we are an easy club to target and the Vic media smell blood.
I didn't think Adelaide did anything wrong re the Gibbs deal.

Isn't Lever is coming out of contract? Not contracted for next year. There have been dozens of meetings between players and clubs prior to the trade period starting. That's how deals actually get completed. Like Trengove to the Bulldogs.

I didn't think Adelaide did anything wrong re the Gibbs deal.

Isn't Lever is coming out of contract? Not contracted for next year. There have been dozens of meetings between players and clubs prior to the trade period starting. That's how deals actually get completed. Like Trengove to the Bulldogs.
As far as I’m aware it’s against the rules.
No not contracted for next year but contracted this year and certainly at the time.

As far as I’m aware it’s against the rules.
No not contracted for next year but contracted this year and certainly at the time.
There have been multiple trades happening before the trade window - I thought it was against the rules too, but nobody seems to care anymore. It's like a rule that nobody obeys anymore. Not sure why.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back