Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - Part II [NEW POLL ADDED]

For how long will Chris Scott be Geelong coach?

• For as long as he wants the job

• 5+ more years

• Somewhere between 2020 and 2022 (i.e. beyond his current contract)

• He will be sacked/resign in 2019

• He will be sacked/resign in 2018

• The Nuclear Option: sacked/resign in 2017

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we were to accept that Scott's time is up (which I don't btw) are there realistically any available coaches out there that people think could take the club to a better place?

Who and why?

Interested to hear.

Did I hear that Geelong hasn't lost from a lead at 3/4 time for 44 matches.....43 wins and one draw.....

But the guy can't coach? This thread is getting staler by the day.

He's just been signed up again....so he's not going anywhere.

Reg Hickeys record as Geelongs coach

1951 Cats Premiers
1952 Cats Premiers
1957 Cats Wooden Spooners
1958 Cats Wooden Spooners

Coaches whoever they are -are so overated

Players - good players and having plenty of them win premierships not coaches

Its all about recruiting and list management - Geelong look better this year - Stewart is a good pick up - Parsons could be anything - Parfitt is a good get - Occonor may make the grade . Scott Selwood ( best and fairest at W/Coast ) is another good get

Its all list management - the lower picks - the rookies - the mature age recruits - you hit pay dirt their - added to the nucleus of a good team - then your in with a chance
The point with coaches is that even the best ones can lose the players over time for a variety of reasons. They all have a use by date as do players. I was on the "lost the players wavelength" after our three loses as I thought that might have been a resonable explanation, given the sub-par effort of the players. Maybe that was a knee jerk reaction as the team has certainly shown a lot more fight/desire since then.
There will eventually, however, come a time when this will happen, regardless of how good the coach is, his coaching record etc. This season will now be a good practical test of this.

Precisely.

In 2010 and 2016 the home and away season indicated strongly there were other teams that were clearly superior (St.Kilda and Collingwood in 2010, Sydney in 2016). In 2013 Geelong had beaten every contender. For Hawthorn and Sydney, twice.
It's pretty simple - we lost in 2013 because Enright missed the PF and we had no ruckman. Put one of those into that game (Enright or a first ruck) and the flag was ours. Had absolutely ZERO to do with coaching.

It's pretty simple - we lost in 2013 because Enright missed the PF and we had no ruckman. Put one of those into that game (Enright or a first ruck) and the flag was ours. Had absolutely ZERO to do with coaching.

i think freo had a very good chance of beating us the week after had we held on against hawthorn.

i think freo had a very good chance of beating us the week after had we held on against hawthorn.
Well, it is of course speculative. I think in Victoria, with Enright back in the side, we stood a very good chance to win.

But my point remains: we didn't lose the PF in 2013 due to coaching. It was an matter of personnel. Enright alone was worth the margin we lost by and then some. A ruck would have been handy, too.

Well, it is of course speculative. I think in Victoria, with Enright back in the side, we stood a very good chance to win.

But my point remains: we didn't lose the PF in 2013 due to coaching. It was an matter of personnel. Enright alone was worth the margin we lost by and then some. A ruck would have been handy, too.
And Chappy- the pactman

If we were to accept that Scott's time is up (which I don't btw) are there realistically any available coaches out there that people think could take the club to a better place?

Who and why?

Interested to hear.
CS's time is not up, I agree.
If ALL the reputable and wannabe and recently retired decent coaches were available, on current knowledge, I'd go CS.
He is all you need in a great coach. Smart, student of the modern game, respectful of media (loved his slight on Slobbo tonight- again), excellent communicator, smart, history of success, keeps mentally and physically fit, handles stress well, and did I mention, smart?
I have never met the man, so apart from my bias, his results are great.
He'd be the man I would choose if we bottomed out too.

Don't care what anyone says Longmire and Lyon can coach (So can Chris Scott)
Gotta remember we weren't looking too crash hot in 2015 before we got our FA's.
Chris Scott may have lost 13AA's? during his time but also inherited Selwood, Hawkins, Taylor , Duncan, Lonegan, in their prime. Had Stevie J and Enright in career best form for most of his tenure Got 3 AA's given to him + 2E(coaches AA team) and also the 2004 rising star. Not to mention Henderson + Scooter + Caddy. On top of that he's even had 3 first round picks and also ready made players like Stanley and Smith.
Yeah he can coach but bloody hell you stop harping on the "poor CS" story.
He's been given more than any other modern day AFL coach and has been almost been 100% backed in by the club and fans.
He's done allright.

More than any other coach?!! Surely you where smoking something strong when you wrote this pile of manure.

Duncan in his prime?? You mean a 19 year old kid in his second year?? Lol. Steve j and Enright in their prime?? Johnson played his best footy 07 by a landslide and then there on as a forward the next few years.

Let's look at the outs and ins over the six years to determine if Scott has been given "more than any other coach".

Outs: Johnson, Bartel, chapman, g Ablett(2010 off season), mooney, Corey, Enright, Scarlett, wojinski, milburn, ottens, Podsiadly, j hunt, ling, stokes, Kelly. That's 16 best 22 and very elite to very good players that have been bleeding out of the club each year weakening the side. Name for me another coach who has lost the calibre of that? It is not "been given more than any other coach", that's a very funny peculiar twist to put on the situation of loosing all your players.

So let's look at the ins... : Zac tuoey, dangerfiel , Zac smith, rivers, macintosh, Aaron black, Henderson, Scott Selwood.

does not even stand on a leg to what we have lost. Rediculous post really.

It's like saying Clarkson is gifted for having the 2017 hawks side which is about to bleed out and loose all its talent from those premiership years.

The thing with Jaeger's knees is that a patella tendon is much scarier than most other knee injuries in terms of getting back to where he was before it occurred. If he could even become something comparable to Menzel in terms of finding and being able to execute a limited role with foutball nous and a range of freakish skills then I think that would be a huge win. What worries me is the idea that they try to plug him into the midfield, as they looked to do earlier this year. I'm just not sure that his body will be able to handle the strains and challenges presented there, especially the greater running load.

Hense why it's a wildcard it's probably 50/50 if he can get back to his best or not and a chance to end his career in 2-3 years also. It was pretty unlucky how he ruptured the tendon contact injury.

It's worse than an ACL uncommon for AFL but you see it a bit more in the NBA and NFL with mixed results. Kyrie irving, blake griffin and john wall have all had patella fractures and in a much harder sport on the knee recovered at young ages and played very well will probably cut down their back end of career.

So i have some hope for omeara considering the two year layoff.

So putting him into the midfield where he has played all his AFL makes no difference for mine. If the knee is no good it's going to go anyway and menzel was a forward so he basically just went back to his spot and 4 knees for him suggests he shouldnt even be playing football full stop especially afl level.

Did I hear that Geelong hasn't lost from a lead at 3/4 time for 44 matches.....43 wins and one draw.....

But the guy can't coach? This thread is getting staler by the day.

He's just been signed up again....so he's not going anywhere.
Well why do we even have this piece of rot of a thread up??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because he is a pretty average game day coach. Gets outcoached by Buckley and Rodney Eade.

not to take sides in your and GC26s efforts to 'out-hysterical' each other, but losing a game of football does not necessarily equate to being 'out-coached', and it is definitely one of the more ridiculous terms used on here in any event.

not to take sides in your and GC26s efforts to 'out-hysterical' each other, but losing a game of football does not necessarily equate to being 'out-coached', and it is definitely one of the more ridiculous terms used on here in any event.

barmy44 runway leader in Phrase of the year voting!

Go Catters

Johnson played his best footy 07 by a landslide and then there on as a forward the next few years.

giphy.gif

Steve Johnson's 25 Brownlow votes from 16 games in 2013 and 19 Brownlow votes from 17 games in 2014 (both higher votes per game averages than Selwood) were okay years. He was also our second highest vote getter in Scott's premiership year and got involved a bunch of times when the GF was on the line. His Norm Smith in 2007 was superb but I'll always cherish his 2011 performance in a close one much more.

Steve Johnson's 25 Brownlow votes from 16 games in 2013 and 19 Brownlow votes from 17 games in 2014 (both higher votes per game averages than Selwood) were okay years. He was also our second highest vote getter in Scott's premiership year and got involved a bunch of times when the GF was on the line. His Norm Smith in 2007 was superb but I'll always cherish his 2011 performance in a close one much more.
Don't rate his impact as much being pushed into the midfield(which happened because of retirements), did not look natural to him and he was easily tagged out of games. Was such a dangerous xfactor close to goals, much like a buddy franklin. Didn't have this feeling as a midfielder.

And let's also point out the obvious... 3AA guernseys which where...*drumroll*.... 2007,2008,2010. So nice try... oh and that shiny norm smith medal he won in 2007.

Yep definitely Scott had Johnson in his prime

Yeah Johnson was incredible in 2013. To reinvent himself as a midfielder at that stage of his career was pretty impressive. You just wonder how many Brownlow votes he might have got.

More than any other coach?!! Surely you where smoking something strong when you wrote this pile of manure.

Duncan in his prime?? You mean a 19 year old kid in his second year?? Lol. Steve j and Enright in their prime?? Johnson played his best footy 07 by a landslide and then there on as a forward the next few years.

Let's look at the outs and ins over the six years to determine if Scott has been given "more than any other coach".

Outs: Johnson, Bartel, chapman, g Ablett(2010 off season), mooney, Corey, Enright, Scarlett, wojinski, milburn, ottens, Podsiadly, j hunt, ling, stokes, Kelly. That's 16 best 22 and very elite to very good players that have been bleeding out of the club each year weakening the side. Name for me another coach who has lost the calibre of that? It is not "been given more than any other coach", that's a very funny peculiar twist to put on the situation of loosing all your players.

So let's look at the ins... : Zac tuoey, dangerfiel , Zac smith, rivers, macintosh, Aaron black, Henderson, Scott Selwood.

does not even stand on a leg to what we have lost. Rediculous post really.

It's like saying Clarkson is gifted for having the 2017 hawks side which is about to bleed out and loose all its talent from those premiership years.
Nup. Not smoking anything. Just high on life.
Duncan's in his prime now IMO. Not really sure how your disputing that.
Stevie J was one of the best mids in the game in 13/14 and had his best year IMO in 11. CS got a preety decent player there.
Enright played consistent great footy every year under CS.
Has had one of the very best FB's in the comp in Lonegan his entire reign who has only started to decline in the past 2 years.
HT Ditto.
Hawkins in his prime,
Selwood in the middle.
You'd be preety bloody happy to walk into a club and know you've got a spine like that for a few years.
You act like it's unusual to lose players in an ageing team, it's not.
Not many coaches ask and the club delivers 3AA's, a rising star winner a coaches AA player and a club champion.
How many?
Also to inherit a club that made a PF.
Only other coaches I can think of similar are Gary Ayers ( made a GF the next year)
and Alan Joyce( won a flag the next year).
Hasn't been hard done by that's for sure.

Nup. Not smoking anything. Just high on life.
Duncan's in his prime now IMO. Not really sure how your disputing that.
Stevie J was one of the best mids in the game in 13/14 and had his best year IMO in 11. CS got a preety decent player there.
Enright played consistent great footy every year under CS.
Has had one of the very best FB's in the comp in Lonegan his entire reign who has only started to decline in the past 2 years.
HT Ditto.
Hawkins in his prime,
Selwood in the middle.
You'd be preety bloody happy to walk into a club and know you've got a spine like that for a few years.
You act like it's unusual to lose players in an ageing team, it's not.
Not many coaches ask and the club delivers 3AA's, a rising star winner a coaches AA player and a club champion.
How many?
Also to inherit a club that made a PF.
Only other coaches I can think of similar are Gary Ayers ( made a GF the next year)
and Alan Joyce( won a flag the next year).
Hasn't been hard done by that's for sure.

Name another club which has lost that much talent in the space of six years and maintained success like Scott has.

I'm not sure why you bring up Duncan when Scott developed him not inheriting him, he was only 19 years old.

Your entire post is really irrelevant sort of waffle. Yes I know the Geelong football club has some good players.

I am saying when any coach looses 13AA players and 16 of your best 22 in the space of six years, it is nothing short of a footballing miracle to continually make it to the top of the ladder and that no other coach has been able to do the same thing, please show me reference to anyone else in modern history doing this.

All your doing is showing extremely low respect for how good those Geelong players I mentioned in the list are. Maybe you should go over some of the tapes and remind yourself just how good the players are we lost and then come back when you understand that and have some more respect for their quality instead of dismissing it.

We were only in that situation in the PF thanks to the unmitigated disaster that was the qualifying final.

(Yep sorry, should be in the same old arguments thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back