List Mgmt. Christmas comes early (Nov 28 - 19 sleeps) - Draftee discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to his draft profile Kysaiah Pickett was 170cm and 67kg

He’s gone ok

Yeah that’s a solid time for someone with his build, if you are drafting Hewett you’re after an inside mid, if you’re drafting an outside runner then you’re after a gaff type which is an entirely different body type.
He is quite an outside player though. Goes hard at times but definitely doesn't throw his body around to any great effect. At AFL level won't get any better at it either.

Where do you see Kaleb Smith ?
WCE have spoken to him more than any other club and where the first to show interest in him
I find him so hard to judge where we take him is he pick 26 ?
He has so much upside but not getting 5 clubs to nominate him for national testing does it mean he will slide ?

Sam Gilbey and Kaleb Smith would be upgrades on our current medium defenders
Kaleb would be ready round one to play
Smith - I want him and would sell a future 4th and pick him up this year

Where do you see Kaleb Smith ?
WCE have spoken to him more than any other club and where the first to show interest in him
I find him so hard to judge where we take him is he pick 26 ?
He has so much upside but not getting 5 clubs to nominate him for national testing does it mean he will slide ?

Sam Gilbey and Kaleb Smith would be upgrades on our current medium defenders
Kaleb would be ready round one to play

Yes sounds like a big chance at WC also pity we gave up pick 40 in the draft , I would imagine pick 26 is too high a pick .

Eagles have a few options at our top four draft picks .

He is quite an outside player though. Goes hard at times but definitely doesn't throw his body around to any great effect. At AFL level won't get any better at it either.
The thing is with Hewett he’s been playing League against men, most of the other recruits boasted about have been playing colts or similar against their own age.

Ok, I think Hewett will be an excellent AFL footballer, you don’t. All good 👍

I tend to agree with you I think once he gets into an AFL program he will blossom.

What we watched in 2021 was very impressive, 2022 not so much.
However we did see glimpses of his 2021 form in the championship and we do know that he had a Covid interrupted year, with rumours that he had long Covid.

There a few playing traits that appeal to me:

He has clean hands.
He has burst away from pack speed.
He reads the play well of the ruck.
Reads the play well period.
Can kick a goal when in the zone to do so.

But the biggest + for me is his dual sidedness, and accuracy by foot.
This attribute will serve him well at the next level.

I would be happy if we took him at 12, as I doubt he slides as far as 20, unless he interviews diabolically.

Some kids slide a bit in there top age year at the champs, Rozzie and Lucocious ( spelling 😛 ) are two recent examples of this and both rose to occasion latter on.

Secondly we know that The Pie Man & Co look at the body of work over 2-3 seasons, given that Hewett trained with us, we will have a very good idea of his attributes, ceiling and attitude.

Now I will freely admit to having my favourites come draft time and Phillipou is one I want us to pick up this year with either 8 or 12.

The thing is with Hewett he’s been playing League against men, most of the other recruits boasted about have been playing colts or similar against their own age.
It's more of a nice bonus to have on the resume than actually having much of a say how someone ends up.
I think Hewett ends up as a pure winger just to suit his skill set.

It's more of a nice bonus to have on the resume than actually having much of a say how someone ends up.
I think Hewett ends up as a pure winger just to suit his skill set.

From the limited highlights I've seen I think inside mid (or balanced) is more his position.

A good reader of ruck taps, first ball winner, gets hands free and takes on tacklers (needs more strength to consistently break tackles). Can also find the ball on the outside though.

Definitely would not be unhappy at 12.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tend to agree with you I think once he gets into an AFL program he will blossom.

However we did see glimpses of his 2021 form in the championship and we do know that he had a Covid interrupted year, with rumours that he had long Covid.

He has clean hands.

I would be happy if we took him at 12, as I doubt he slides as far as 20, unless he interviews diabolically.

Some kids slide a bit in there top age year at the champs, Rozzie and Lucocious ( spelling 😛 ) are two recent examples of this and both rose to occasion latter on.

Secondly we know that The Pie Man & Co look at the body of work over 2-3 seasons, given that Hewett trained with us, we will have a very good idea of his attributes, ceiling and attitude.

Now I will freely admit to having my favourites come draft time and Phillipou is one I want us to pick up this year with either 8 or 12.
Phillipou at 8 with Hewett at 12, would be a nice combo.

Phillipou at 8 with Hewett at 12, would be a nice combo.

That's my preference. Not convinced about Ginbey. I get the need to allow a KP time to develop but from what others have said here, is Busslinger even a KP? Or more a chop-out intercept? I'm also not as down on Edwards as some, always remember that period known as The Early Years of Darren Glass (shudder...). Think he'll come good.

Jones at 20.

Last edited:

He has clean hands.

I must admit these are the attributes i love about him. He is what I call a very natural footballer who just finds the ball with reading the play. He's dual foot skills are fantastic. I'm also a fan of Phillipou so 8 and 12 for me would be just fine.

I read a previous post on you commenting on next years crop. For me, and I've coached a fair few juniors I don't think I've seen much better than Harley Reid. He is a natural footballer, who has menace and great skills. The evasiveness is next level. If we ever get a wooden spoon again then next year please...but like Gold Coast coming in and taking Swallow then Tassie will be in...LOL

I must admit these are the attributes i love about him. He is what I call a very natural footballer who just finds the ball with reading the play. He's dual foot skills are fantastic. I'm also a fan of Phillipou so 8 and 12 for me would be just fine.

I read a previous post on you commenting on next years crop. For me, and I've coached a fair few juniors I don't think I've seen much better than Harley Reid. He is a natural footballer, who has menace and great skills. The evasiveness is next level. If we ever get a wooden spoon again then next year please...but like Gold Coast coming in and taking Swallow then Tassie will be in...LOL

Yes Reid is something else, isn’t he?
So versatile…… and so good.

Your comment about being a natural is bang on the money.
You can’t teach that.

If he was in this cohort I would take him with pick 1…. Without blinking.

Have you seen Ashton Moir ?

Mackenzie & Hewett for 8 & 12 for me. Would be a good balance of midfielders with different attributes when taking into account Culley selected last year.

Would then prefer forwards with the next two selections given the loss of Kennedy & Rioli.

Yes Reid is something else, isn’t he?
So versatile…… and so good.

Your comment about being a natural is bang on the money.
You can’t teach that.

If he was in this cohort I would take him with pick 1…. Without blinking.

Have you seen Ashton Moir ?
Must admit i haven't seen much of him. Looks very comfortable with the ball and easily can turn either way as he has penetration of both feet. Question. Has he got a tank?

Mackenzie & Hewett for 8 & 12 for me. Would be a good balance of midfielders with different attributes when taking into account Culley selected last year.

Would then prefer forwards with the next two selections given the loss of Kennedy & Rioli.
If we can guarantee Hewitt at 12, then I'm happy to get the best available mid at 8, whether that is Tsatas, Philipou, McKenzie, or other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back